Uae4all Gp2x 0.6.0 First Release With Integrated Fame/c

critical

Certified Guru
Website
www.handheldhacker.com
You can download 0.6.3 from http://criticalhippo.googlepages.com/uae4allgp2x until the archive here is updated.

NOTE: 0.6.3 has a newly-named bitmap for the splash screen. It's gp2xsplash.bmp, and that MUST be copied over into the data directory - you can't just copy the .gpe or it won't work

The great new speed is thanks to Chui. I found sound output to be much, much better now. As of 0.6.2, it's using Chui's core which he has modified to work when compiled with GCC4. Thanks go to him once more.

The unreliability issues are thanks to me ;)

EDIT: updated to 0.6.3. Crashing on clock change in earlier versions seemed to be due to the change to using HW_SURFACEs. Now a SW one is used for the menu, as it used to be.

Added mouse acceleration option to main menu.
Various other cosmetic things (no more flickering virtual keyboard).

If you like this release, please consider donating to Chui, who has clearly put a lot of time, effort and skill into the new FAME/C core. His paypal details can be found at the top of his website: http://chui.dcemu.co.uk/index.html

Nice work mate.

Sound is definitely better, but I couldn't get as many games to run when I was messing around with it last night.

I'll do some more thorough testing tonight.

subcon959 posted on Oct 30 2006 at 01:52 PM said:
Nice work mate.

Sound is definitely better, but I couldn't get as many games to run when I was messing around with it last night.

I'll do some more thorough testing tonight.
Could you let people know which games aren't working (including filename), and with which settings (emu bias, sound on/off)?

Fury of the Furries works, some will be pleased to hear :)

Last edited by a moderator:
critical posted on Oct 30 2006 at 10:11 AM said:
EDIT: updated to 0.6.1. There still seems to be a problem with some people getting crashes when using the internal overclock function. If this crashes things for you, please note it on this thread, saying which firmware version you're using. It doesn't crash for me any more (with uae4all gp2x 0.6.1), but does still for others (who may or may not all be using firmware 0.2.1). I'm think it might be because I'm still using firmware 0.2.0.

The overclock crashes for me in 0.6.1 I'm afraid :(

I was running firmware 2.0, and have just updated it to 2.1 - for both firmware versions, the overclock option crashed the unit. My gp2x isnt a first edition, but neither is it the latest 'version 2' model - dont know if that makes a difference or not. If there's anything I can do to help diagnose the problem, please let me know.

Maxrom posted on Oct 30 2006 at 02:58 PM said:
The overclock crashes for me in 0.6.1 I'm afraid :(

I was running firmware 2.0, and have just updated it to 2.1 - for both firmware versions, the overclock option crashed the unit. My gp2x isnt a first edition, but neither is it the latest 'version 2' model - dont know if that makes a difference or not. If there's anything I can do to help diagnose the problem, please let me know.
Right, thanks for that feedback - I'll try to break mine again, then. You can just use the tweak script for now.

critical posted on Oct 30 2006 at 02:20 PM said:
Fury of the Furries works, some will be pleased to hear :)

Wooot :eek:

That's great news!!

Gotta try this new release as soon as I get home.

Thanks for all your work.

Very nice.
I have one sugestion through, pleas make longer filenames scroll or something as you often cant see wich disc it is cause the end is cut off.
And a way to select the kickstart image would also be nice.
Oh, and emulation for multiple disc drives would totaly rock :)

But great work, setleeeeeers :)

:eek: nice work.. Turrican2 running full speed (seems to be anyway) with no overclock.

I'm using firmware 2.10 (mk2 unit) & get the same problem when I try to overclock (white lines that turn into a white screen & I have to restart). I'm also using gmenu2x, but I don't think that's making any difference.

Emu settings:
uae4all-tweak - no overclock added to gmenu2x for the emulator
Emu Bias set to full CPU
Frameskip set to auto
Sound on

Tried..
Supercars 2 - didn't fully load (supercars2-1of2.adf, supercars2-2of2.adf)
Speedball 2 - didn't fully load (Speedball 2.adf)
Stunt Car Racer - spot on (stunt_car_racer.adf)
Sensible Soccer - spot on (sensible_soccer_1.1-1of2.adf, sensible_soccer_1.1-2of2.adf)

I'm using all new disc images (except for Speedball 2), so they just might not work right?? I'll try hook my comp back up & try my normal images later.

That's a huge speed increase though thanks :D

p.s would the new ram timimgs make any difference with this emulator?

By pure coincidence I downloaded this this morning before work!
The overclocking within the emulator crashes for me using firmware 2.1.0.

At 266 pretty much everything I've tried runs at a great speed.

I can't wait to test this further tonight.
Has anybody got SWOS running yet? My 96/97 version hangs with a bright red screen.
If I could get this running it would be an absolute dream!

Thanks for this great emulator! :D

Vimacs posted on Oct 30 2006 at 03:39 PM said:
Very nice.
I have one sugestion through, pleas make longer filenames scroll or something as you often cant see wich disc it is cause the end is cut off.
And a way to select the kickstart image would also be nice.
Oh, and emulation for multiple disc drives would totaly rock :)

But great work, setleeeeeers :)
You can use the SELECT button when you're over a filename to see the full name.
EDIT: I seem to have failed to merge that feature back in - wait for next release. Sorry

Two disk drives are supported.

The wiki has these details - link in my .sig

I'll add the kickstart image selector to the todo list.

well, at least 2 disc drives, that alone makes live a lot easier :)
Thank you for your great work, i cant wait for the next version :)

I think it should be added to the first post that if some games don't straight away they should try switching the bias completely to the left.

It seems to help for quite a few games

I tried Shadow of the Beast 1 with the settings all the way to the left. I've also tried kick start 1.3 and 3.1 with pretty much every single adf disk version of the game. I still can not get Beast 1 to work. Agony works nice though :) Has anyone gotten Shadow of the Beast to get past the freeze "system error" part before the tree house level? BTW this is an amazing release. Nice and fast! Thanks Critical and Chui!

peetabix posted on Oct 30 2006 at 09:51 PM said:
Are there buttons bound to left and right mouse buttons? if so what are they?
press start to switch betwene control methods, on mouse mode l/r are the left/right mouse buttons.

Back