Release The new website

We want to do a 'best of' software page, to show off what people can use, was there previously a thread on that somewhere, or should we make a new 'promotional' list? I'd really like a 50/50 mix of Pandora exclusive software and things people would expect.

ED collected user videos and screenshots in his approach of a new website earlier this year. They should still be there, can't remember the link though. If you want, I can make some videos of my apps and games. Also there were the game of the week articles on Pandorapress. Masbe you can reuse some of those.

A compilation video would be amazing. Something which shows, in say, 3 minutes, the huge variety of things the Pandora is capable of.

It's something we want to do, but if you (and other members) could put something together it would be superb, we could even end it saying the video was put together by the community.

It looks nice. Some comments:

- on FF 14 the screenshots are not in the right position/rotation (was already reported above)

- no-click interface is cool, but a bit confusing, and I had to search how to go back to the intro screen (and I had to click for that)

- site is too wide to fit the Pandora screen :)

- I see a thin white horizontal line at the bottom (where the footer starts), should probably not be there

- "Open Linux OS" is bad terminology imo (see for more about this). Instead of "Lightweight, very fast, Open Linux OS" I would say "Full GNU/Linux OS with great community"

- maybe add what speed it can overclock to reliably?

- most of the native games are not freeware (i.e. public domain) but Free Software, there is a difference

- "Native port" sounds strange to me: if it's native, it is not a port. Some things run in emulators, some things are ported (e.g. Quake), some things are native Pandora projects (e.g. Super Geometry Dust and many other things in the PND store)

- 10 hours with display at max brightness, wifi on and playing movies is not realistic. 6-7 hours would be a better estimate. Also, standby time is not very relevant imo (this is not a phone). With the display at min brightness (which is how I prefer to use it when not in daylight), with mild cpu usage (e.g. light web browsing or doing office stuff), you can easily get 15 hours or so. When just playing music (lid closed), you can get something like 24 hours or so.

- most of the native games are not freeware (i.e. public domain) but Free Software, there is a difference

Actually, freeware is not necessarily public domain; it simply means that it is gratis, usually (though the term is not well defined). Also, there's a good chunk of software on the Repo that is not free software, some of it quite popular, such as Super Geometry Dust (but they are freeware).

Moving on, I'd like to say one more thing about the site: on my 1080p monitor (with regular zoom on Firefox), it looks terrible, because there's a huge amount of unused vertical space and it appears (mostly due to coloring) to be stuffed in the top-left hand corner. The white line at the bottom is also quite ugly, it looks like some sort of graphical glitch (maybe it is, knowing that there are rendering problems outside of Chromium/Chrome). This should probably be fixed before the site goes public, because it looks rather unprofessional.

EDIT: It would really help if the background below the regular display was different (i.e. not that blue Pandora logo pattern).

Last edited by a moderator:
The links on the right side don't move the page. I have to scroll down manually. The later text isn't good readable on the blue mini pandora icons, especially the green text with the prices. I had to mark that to make it readable.

SD up to 256GB. Each? Or 2x128GB? The pointer goes to both slots, so it must be 2x128GB?

The design breaks when the browser window is less than 1,151px wide, with the text spilling over the right hand buttons.

I like the website. Neither IE8 nor IE9 render correctly.

If someone is using IE, you can detect that, and redirect them to the chrome or firefox download page.

It is a real PITA to develop web pages that work with IE. The misnamed "Compatibility mode" is the worst, you need special headers or meta http-equiv tag to tell it "yes this website is designed with modern HTML for the newest IE version!"

Hmm, some of the stuff is still out of the place for me:

I'm using the latest Opera 12. I'll check my standard fontsizes again but it usualy works on the most websites just fine.

The Amiga is missing in the emulation section! (Could be essential for german customers)

IMHO standby time is very important. It counts as "instant on" which is what users expect from a portable gaming device and would like to see on their work device.

That said, IMHO Psion's Series 5 (or even 3) were the first portable computers to reach 20 hours of continuous usage with one battery charge - infact with lithium cells one could reach 30 hours usage and way over a month standby. Actually there is Psion 5mxPro right beside my Pandora. *Checks battery* Yep, last battery replacement on 9.6.12, still working.

Maybe make it the first portable computer with coloured backlit display to reach 20 hours.

It might be easier to replace that slideshow with HTML5 code.

I *must* also mention the Pandora superior audio somewhere.

You just could use a straight front view of the Pandora, so the Images fit on the screen without any perspective tricks. :)

"Superior audio" needs good Headphones, I've noticed. My in-ear sound not that great on the Pandora, they dominat the heights to much. My Sennheiser Headset is better. Pandora audio players also often lack of good equalizers, at least no presets there so you could improve the audio experience even more.

I don't know much about HTML, but I took a look at the source code and noticed the document type is only defined as "HTML". Could that be throwing the rendering off in most browsers?

I also finally looked at the page in Chromium, and I couldn't help but notice that the scaling of the images were a bit off; the bottoms of the screenshots were slightly cut off diagonally (on the right side).

"html" is actually the correct doctype for HTML5 pages.

Though this page uses an uncommon casing (is that the right word?) and its content looks like XHTML (plus it's a div-fest that HTML5 was supposed to prevent).

Once again, and this is really starting to worry me, *there is no HTML5* in the website.

The planned HTML5 part is not uploaded yet.

Back