New Blog Post

r00tw00t said:
mindlord said:
Khan said:
By the way, it has been stated that cases production starts (presumably) on Monday so... are we waiting for an initial 1000 or 2000 cases shipping in order to speed up the process (as planned previously) or do we have to wait until the whole 10000 are finished?
You misread, Production of another sample to check the silk screening starts Monday. Full-tilt mass production won't start until the decide to scrap the silkscreening altogether or keep it like it is on the sample.

Um, what?! Where did you get that from? I can't believe there will be another delay because of some fcking silk screen?!?!?! and a new sample for that.... shit i dont know if i should cry or laugh.
They're just mailing a picture so presumably it will only take 1 day to decide to OK silkscreen or not. They're not gonna wait for shipping the sample.

Edit: NINJAI!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
mcobit said:
mindlord said:
Khan said:
By the way, it has been stated that cases production starts (presumably) on Monday so... are we waiting for an initial 1000 or 2000 cases shipping in order to speed up the process (as planned previously) or do we have to wait until the whole 10000 are finished?
You misread, Production of another sample to check the silk screening starts Monday. Full-tilt mass production won't start until the decide to scrap the silkscreening altogether or keep it like it is on the sample.

I think you misheared, the cases are being produced and silkscreening is another step in production. so one of the naked cases is silkscreened and ship while the others are produced while that happens. If it looks good, all are silkscreened.
Or did I get something completely wrong?
+1, they can start pumping out cases, and wait for the statement about the silkscreen (that i hope they dont scrap out no matter what)
the injection machines dont need the silkscreen to operate.

what i wonder is if the keymats are also in production

Forget about the silkscreen. Just run the production like it was about to do before the CNY now. Haven't you noticed how everything that "needs to be done but it will only take for so long" ends up taking weeks and months?! I have seen the Pandora functional on craigix YT channel. It works! We are first batchers so everything doesn't have to be "perfect".

Just start producing cases, start assembling and ship them!

r00tw00t said:
Forget about the silkscreen. Just run the production like it was about to do before the CNY now. Haven't you noticed how everything that "needs to be done but it will only take for so long" ends up taking weeks and months?! I have seen the Pandora functional on craigix YT channel. It works! We are first batchers so everything doesn't have to be "perfect".

if i where OP i would think twice to do that,
first batchers are going to be mad if they find that second batch and beyond have not only bug/fixes, but also silkscreen,
yeah you say but they paid more, and first batchers say what, just 20-40Usd? thats nothing compared to the Xyears i've been waiting.
now you also give me a worse warranty, disabling OC,while most probably 2Batch will get some fixes /changes to enable more OC?.

i know that 2 batch will get a better bug/fixed hardware, but if we start adding more, well people are going to get mad.

DroneB Dev said:
r00tw00t said:

if i where OP i would think twice to do that,
first batchers are going to be mad if they find that second batch and beyond have not only bug/fixes, but also silkscreen,
yeah you say but they paid more, and first batchers say what, just 20-40Usd? thats nothing compared to the Xyears i've been waiting.
now you also give me a worse warranty, disabling OC,while most probably 2Batch will get some fixes /changes to enable more OC?.

i know that 2 batch will get a better bug/fixed hardware, but if we start adding more, well people are going to get mad.

Okay, yes I understand this. But I'm really getting frustrated now and I like to think I have a decent amount of patience. Besides when I look at my netbook I'm using at this very moment- it doesn't have a silkscreen. I fail to see how something like silkscreen is of any importance to anyone. But that's just me I guess.

guess I have to wait, and wait until it's "perfect" (like not a single one will get dissapointed when they get their pandora).

r00tw00t said:

Just because it could take longer is no reason to dismiss it entirely. What if it takes no additional time? They start producing 1000, at the end of the first day, they take one of the final final cases and stamp it, send off the picture. The second day, they make another 1000 while waiting for a response. It comes in to go ahead with silk screening, and on the third day they produce another 1000, and silk screen 3000. Or even if they can only silkscreen 1000 per day, that's only a 2 day delay at the end.
Or maybe they do setup the sample machine again, just for this one thing, silk screen a sample case, and wait the response before even starting. That could be bad.
They need to know how things would go down before a decision is made.

r00tw00t said:
guess I have to wait, and wait until it's "perfect" (like not a single one will get dissapointed when they get their pandora).
Absolutely not. ED said that if they couldn't get it right quickly, they were going to drop it entirely.

mindlord said:
Khan said:

Errmm... nope? Full production will probably start on Monday, as I wrote down in the blog. If they manage to present us a nice picture of a silkscreen till then, we'll go for a case without at first.
Well, they might even be able to show us a picture during production, as the silkscreen is applied after that :)

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
Errmm... nope? Full production will probably start on Monday, as I wrote down in the blog. If they manage to present us a nice picture of a silkscreen till then, we'll go for a case without at first.
Well, they might even be able to show us a picture during production, as the silkscreen is applied after that :)
Glad to hear it. Even gladder I was wrong.

yawn.
all this endless false optimism is really wearing me out.

wake me up in december when pandora is "nearly finished".

I bought the device under the impression that there would be a silkscreen. So if the first batch cases get shipped with no silkscreen, will a replacement case that has been properly adorned with labels be shipped to me? Probably not... and that thought does NOT make me happy.

If a silkscreen is included... then people who do want it are happy, and people who don't want it can just rub it off. But if a silkscreen is NOT included... then people who don't want it are happy, and people who DO want it are just SOL? That's not fair. There's no easy, DIY approach to ADDING a silkscreen... you can easily REMOVE it yourself, adding one on your own is a whole different matter.

Please, Open Pandora Team, give us our choice of preference rather than forcing us into a last minute decision. Many of us have been waiting for well over two years for this device to come to fruition, all these delays and waits will be for nothing if we give up our silkscreen now.

EvilDragon, often it is the loud minority who get the most attention/make the most stink. Don't let yourself get caught up in their impatience just because they are the more vocal crowd. I'm sure a good portion of the people who have preordered are completely inactive on the forums and/or just lurk all the time hoping things will work out.

-1 billion to anyone who can't wait another couple weeks.

If you complain about additional delays then you must be a more recent preorderer, and/or you didn't fully understand what you were getting yourself into when you invested in this project.

mitosis said:
Please, Open Pandora Team, give us our choice of preference rather than forcing us into a last minute decision. Many of us have been waiting for well over two years for this device to come to fruition, all these delays and waits will be for nothing if we give up our silkscreen now.

You've got to be kidding me. All of the waiting will be for nothing if your Pandora doesn't have a silkscreen, a relatively minor aesthetic feature? Talk about blowing the ordeal out of proportion.

mitosis said:
EvilDragon, often it is the loud minority who get the most attention/make the most stink. Don't let yourself get caught up in their impatience just because they are the more vocal crowd. I'm sure a good portion of the people who have preordered are completely inactive on the forums and/or just lurk all the time hoping things will work out.

-1 billion to anyone who can't wait another couple weeks.

If you complain about additional delays then you must be a more recent preorderer, and/or you didn't fully understand what you were getting yourself into when you invested in this project.

You say not to listen to the "loud minority", but all of this is just you speaking for yourself. Unless you can SHOW that your opinion isn't itself the minority one then you have to step aside and accept what evidence actually exists. There have been a lot of mentions of these silent offboard/lurking majority and it's entirely too convenient that their desires always seem to represent those of the one invoking them.

You could argue that someone not prepared to give up a silkscreen is someone who didn't understand what they were getting themselves into as well. Of course, that's all meaningless, because there's no objective sense of what this all "is about." No, I don't think it's reasonable to ship without a silkscreen, but I also don't think it was reasonable for shipping to be delayed 1.5 years. And no, I wouldn't think that waiting longer makes things easier for most, as you seem to imply. A few weeks (or months?) might be proportionally small compared to the amount of delay thus far, but each upset is wearing down a userbase that is approaching their limits. With a lot of "almost theres" and "small" delays taking much longer than expected it's a hard psychological blow for people to endure one they don't really have to, and one coming when things are this "close" certainly doesn't make it easier.

Maybe officially Open Pandora shouldn't compromise on design, but if they want to go with majority desire on this one then that's probably going to be to shelve the silkscreen and save as much face as possible on release time.

if they can do it with no delays and decent aesthetics they should go with it. i dont really see how it can add much or any time to it really...

To be fair, the first Pandora renders didn't even include silkscreening, afaik(edit: recalled wrong). If this eventually becomes an obstacle, Open Pandora could make a final poll and we could post it on the community blog to reach a representative part of the preorderers, imo.

mitosis said:
If a silkscreen is included... then people who do want it are happy, and people who don't want it can just rub it off.
This is a stupid argument. Here's why: For the same reason that some people would want e.g. a "First Batch" mark on the case, it would be out of the question to scrap anything off. The usual wear & tear is inevitable, but deliberately taking out something that is part of the original Pandora that I finally have in my hands - with the risk of damaging its exterior in the process - is really a big NO.

And seriously. I mean, for real. You'd have to be demented to need silkscreening to operate the device, and silkscreening doesn't cure dementia.

Well, I was always under the impression that silkscreening wouldn't take any extra time to be added! So from that point of view, I would say go for it! As I think it would add a level of quality to the finished product.

Now on the other hand, this factory is way in left field, and you don't know what your going to get day to day! So from that point of view, maybe it is best just not to have them do anything that may be beyond there scope. The fact that they have a good reputation and have been in business for many years makes me think it can be done properly, but I guess we'll just have to wait on some pics.

I always said it should be added, as it was always on the renders, and preview pics, but now I really don't care. These things need to ship ASAP! PERIOD!

Chris

Back