New Blog Post

EvilDragon said:
Vitel said:
There's no software audio mixer yet. ... but multiple sounds at once will not work yet.
Does that mean that ALSA doesn't support the audio chip yet?

It just means we don't have a software mixer setup yet. Sound output is done through Alsa, so I guess ALSA works ;)

I thought I heard somewhere that the plan was to use PulseAudio - which should work as a mixer and also let me stream my Pandora's audio to a PC with decent speakers when home. Was I wrong about that? (I kinda hope not)

(edit: typo)

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know what speed WiFi usually goes up to as I don't have a WiFi router myself, yet. I used to have 512 kb/s ADSL years ago, it's really good for browsing but a pain to download anything on. Last time I checked I had 76 Mb/s downspeed in my flat.

For the uneducated:
If you get up to 1 Mb/s it would take 8 seconds to download 1 MB or 13 h 20 min to download 100 MB. So yeah, downloading anything but small files won't be fun.

Chest Rockwell said:
So, if there's no silkscreen, everything will just be blank? Or what. Am I missing something here?
The case printings will be missing, yes. Keyboard printings will still be there, just not ports and LED descriptions.

I hope they do the silk screening, I could really care less about it but my buddy who I talked into buying a pandora, was really excited about the "first batch" stamp.

He's weird, he always pays the big bucks for the "limited edition" of things like a collector would but then uses and abuses them like your average consumer would. He does have some pretty cool t-shirts from it though.

"first batch stamp" and "all blank" are both indicators of the same thing :)

IT actualyl looks really good in pitch black :)

jeff

davidgro said:
EvilDragon said:
Vitel said:
There's no software audio mixer yet. ... but multiple sounds at once will not work yet.

It just means we don't have a software mixer setup yet. Sound output is done through Alsa, so I guess ALSA works ;)

I thought I heard somewhere that the plan was to use PulseAudio - which should work as a mixer and also let me stream my Pandora's audio to a PC with decent speakers when home. Was I wrong about that? (I kinda hope not)

I would advise that we DON'T use pulseaudio as it's still too messy to use. ALSA is fine on its own. I would prefer jack of course but then most apps would need to be rewritten to use it.

skeezix said:
"first batch stamp" and "all blank" are both indicators of the same thing :)

IT actualyl looks really good in pitch black :)

jeff
I'm with Skeezix. Make mine pitch black. :)

I would like it pitch black TBH as want to use the LEDS for things there not designed for.. like floppy LEDS for example

I'm cool with either, but would it not be a trivial task to remove silk screening from a later batch pandora to mimic a first batch device?

Ah, I still remember the days of 1200bps... man when 2400bps came along it seemed blindingly fast!

And 1200kbps is as fast as I could utilize it anyway, so that's no worries.

Silkscreen / no silkscreen

or

Pandora / no Pandora

I'll accept whatever when it's done...

kingbuzzo said:
davidgro said:
EvilDragon said:
Vitel said:

I would advise that we DON'T use pulseaudio as it's still too messy to use. ALSA is fine on its own. I would prefer jack of course but then most apps would need to be rewritten to use it.

+1

If ALSA broke, I'm pretty sure I could fix it. If pulseaudio broke, I might need to go without sound for a while. <_<

Also, alsamixer isn't working??? If ALSA works, then that should too. Right?

Back