N64 On Gp2x ??

atsnom

Still Fresh
Do you think a N64 emulator would be possible on the GP2X, A bit of Mario Kart or Goldeneye on the move would be coooooool

AAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Make it stop!

No indeed. Dont look for it, don't expect it. There arnt enough buttons on the X2 and no analog stick to be able to play most of the games even if they could be emulated.

the lack of an analog stick and enough buttons would make it suck anyway.

junker posted on Sep 8 2005 at 11:28 PM said:
the lack of an analog stick and enough buttons would make it suck anyway.

No, the lack of a framerate above 1 frame every 5 seconds would make it suck ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Signs point to no due to most N64 emulators needing some form of 3D acceleration to take the load off of the CPU. However the fact is we don't know until devs have had months to tinker with the system to get to know it's strengths.

I will say that Bangai-O, would kick many glutus maximuses and be very playable with the GP2X's controls if it could be emulated at a decent speed

I was lead to believe the GP2X was still a 32 bit system, and if so (who knows, I'm wrong quite often) trying to play a 64-bit emulator on a 32-bit system would be a bit like porting Doom to the Commodore 128 or Quake II to the Apple II.

Mildly amusing, but all in all a fruitless effort. I know the CPU power wouldn't be the problem, and no 3D acceleration would not be easy to get around. Don't know if the 64 megs of ram would be an obstacle though.

However the fact is we don't know until devs have had months to tinker with the system to get to know it's strengths.
Only in the same way that we don't know if we can emulate the Gamecube at full speed on the GP2X. N64 is just not feasible.

Winterkid posted on Sep 8 2005 at 08:16 PM said:
I was lead to believe the GP2X was still a 32 bit system, and if so (who knows, I'm wrong quite often) trying to play a 64-bit emulator on a 32-bit system would be a bit like porting Doom to the Commodore 128 or Quake II to the Apple II.

Mildly amusing, but all in all a fruitless effort. I know the CPU power wouldn't be the problem, and no 3D acceleration would not be easy to get around. Don't know if the 64 megs of ram would be an obstacle though.
Xbox is 32bit. PCs are generally 32bit. As we know, both of these emulate N64 (not sure how good emu is on the Xbox, but it's there). From what I gather, the "XXbit" thing means very, very little.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bit/Architecture really has little to do with it. See n64 emulation on a PIII or PSX emulation on a AMD64.

my 600MHZ P3 with 64(maybe it was 128, dunno.) MB of SD ram was 32 bit but could emulate N64 (albiet with a hitch or two in OOT during big fights).

I don't see how bits are really mattering here.

But I can see power and no 3D working against the idea of N64 emulation, (2D could perhaps help in some aspects, power is power.) maybe if both cores were OC'ed to about 233-250 each and someone could pull a hardware trick or two out of their hats to just make the 2D acceleration aspect another co-processor or somehow handle all textures and let the others do the rest.

Then -maybe- it'd be possible to play Mario 64 playable at least. (And yes I could do it, you'd just have to make the L button when held down convert the face buttons into C buttons for the camera) but i'm not seeing much other choice.

is there actually a software (ie non 3d accelerated) version of an N64 emu? Most of the N64's advantages over the PSX were reliant on 3d hardware features such as AA and texture filtering. If you could bypass these functions you would save huge amounts of CPU cycles.

I don't actually remember a significant difference in the requirements of UltraHLE and Bleem other than the fact that Bleem could be run without 3d acceleration

I'll be happy with SNES and NeoGeo.

PSX would be nice too but N64 is just an overkill.

Back