N64 Completely Impossible?

Midgard

Still Fresh
I see some people in all kinds of Faq's say:

"Everything from PSX/N64 to XBOX 360/PS3 is not going to happen."

As most know some ppl allready have PSX running so with some hard work it will sure be possible. But I think emulating the N64 console is also possible to alltough it is 64bit and using co-cpu.

As we all know GP2x also has 2 CPU's and some genius will surely come with some solution to make (better) use of the 2nd core in the future. Maby we can also keep in mind the GP2x will most likely be overclockable like the GP32 :D

So let's discuss here, N64 possible or not (at all)?

My vote is, yes this is possible alltough it will never be able to run at 50fps :(

Midgard posted on Dec 6 2005 at 12:54 PM said:

As most know some ppl allready have PSX running so with some hard work it will sure be possible. But I think emulating the N64 console is also possible to alltough it is 64bit and using co-cpu.

As we all know GP2x also has 2 CPU's and some genius will surely come with some solution to make (better) use of the 2nd core in the future. Maby we can also keep in mind the GP2x will most likely be overclockable like the GP32 :D

My vote is, yes this is possible alltough it will never be able to run at 50fps :(

Dont hold your breath.

Judging from your member number, your here purely on the back of the gp2x? (this isn't a dig at you!)

The console isn't even officially released yet, and dev's are still looking into the Gp2x's power. So we can't make any judgements until the Gp2x has been 'around' for abit.

Last edited by a moderator:
dreamwarbird posted on Dec 6 2005 at 11:57 AM said:

As we all know GP2x also has 2 CPU's and some genius will surely come with some solution to make (better) use of the 2nd core in the future. Maby we can also keep in mind the GP2x will most likely be overclockable like the GP32  :D

My vote is, yes this is possible alltough it will never be able to run at 50fps  :(

Dont hold your breath.

Judging from your member number, your here purely on the back of the gp2x? (this isn't a dig at you!)

The console isn't even officially released yet, and dev's are still looking into the Gp2x's power. So we can't make any judgements until the Gp2x has been 'around' for abit.

My friend, please, postcount says nothing about someones knowledge of programming/coding or whatever :ph34r:

Well I can't say I've looked into it very deeply but a quick look on wikipedia shows that the N64's main cpu is 3 times as fast (at least in terms of clockspeed) as the one in the PSX, and they both seem to have extra chips for specialized duties. So even though PSX may be possible, N64 isn't I think.

i always thought even the gp32 could render at least,

im not talking about that fake emu but just being able to load a rom a display the first few frames.

Someone whould have had a go with gp32 ages ago. lol not me :D

Midgard posted on Dec 6 2005 at 01:00 PM said:
dreamwarbird posted on Dec 6 2005 at 11:57 AM said:

As we all know GP2x also has 2 CPU's and some genius will surely come with some solution to make (better) use of the 2nd core in the future. Maby we can also keep in mind the GP2x will most likely be overclockable like the GP32  :D

My vote is, yes this is possible alltough it will never be able to run at 50fps  :(

Dont hold your breath.

My friend, please, postcount says nothing about someones knowledge of programming/coding or whatever :ph34r:

Im not denying yours, or anyones knowledge, it just seems that we are all getting too ahead of ourselves. And basing this on, me, being around near the beginning of the gp32, and seeing all these kind of posts. Hence, saying that the Gp2x has only been around for 2 mintues.

@Julius: I was thinking about more FPS, should be done without loading the OS first to give it the most resources possible. I think it should be possible to make something playable out of it. But one thing is sure, it won't be a 1 men's project because it would cost lot's of time and knowledge in general. I'm gonne look more into the N64 hardware.

Darn the GP2x has sooo many possibilities and that's the thing I LOVE about it.

@dreamwarbird: Yes basicly the thing isn't release officially but we need to explore all the options don't we :)

CPU: 64-bit R4300i RISC (93.75MHz) / 64-bit data paths, registers with 5-stage pipelining
Co-processor: 64-bit RISC (62.5MHz)
RAM: 4MB (36Mb) upgradeable
Graphics: Pixel Drawing Processor (RDP) built into co-processor
Colors: 16.7 million (32,000 on screen)
Polygons: 150,000 per second
Resolution: 640x480 pixels
Sound: 16 to 24-channel 16-bit stereo (up to 100 PCM channels possible)
Transfer Speed: Maximum transfer speed 4,500 M bits/sec running at 500Mhz.

Compare that to the GBA at 16Mhz or the PSX at 33Mhz and how likely they are to happen at decent speed. It will make you realize that N64 is indeed not possible at decent speeds.

I dont think it'll be possible to get it playable, and even if it was the N64 pad was rather unusual and had a lot more buttons than we have now, I think it'd be quite hard to make it easy to play most games

I THINK N64 IS POSSIBLE !!!

*shock*

nah, not N64, but some N64 games with a huge HLE , remember CORN ? could play mario64 at 300FPS on a pentium MMX :D

a big problem is the 3d. have you tried running any of the existing N64 emus for PC, using software rendering only, no hardware acceleration?

You'd need an absolutely kick-ass 3d software renderer engine for the gp2x
the CPU power needed is just huge.

maybe if it could be dipped in liquid nitrogen, and clocked up to 600mhz or so ... :blink:

sigh. i don't see it happening.

Paradox posted on Dec 6 2005 at 02:39 PM said:
what about Saturn? D;
... dreamcast?
while we're at it, why not gamecube? shouldn't be that hard, surely? :D

Have you ever looked at the Jaguar's specs? Might be worth taking a gander... they're more than merely impressive, and a LOT more than the PSX (although I don;t think they quite total 160MHz N64 style... but pretty close iirc, and certainly across more processors - about 6, I think).

Back