N64 On Gp2x ??

The N64 had a 90 MHz MIPS CPU. To think that you can emulate that on a 200 MHz ARM is proposterous. Then you have the 3D GPU with AA and z buffer and perspective correct textures and floating point math which in itself is much too powerful to emulate on the other core as well.

If you want to dream, dream about SNES and NeoGeo which may be possible in some form.

DaveC posted on Sep 9 2005 at 12:24 AM said:
The N64 had a 90 MHz MIPS CPU.  To think that you can emulate that on a 200 MHz ARM is proposterous.  Then you have the 3D GPU with AA and z buffer and perspective correct textures and floating point math which in itself is much too powerful to emulate on the other core as well.
A very good explanation, DaveC. :)

Would it be okay if I included this on GP2x faq on Gameparknewbie?

Last edited by a moderator:
shinneri posted on Sep 9 2005 at 05:01 AM said:
The N64 had a 90 MHz MIPS CPU.  To think that you can emulate that on a 200 MHz ARM is proposterous.  Then you have the 3D GPU with AA and z buffer and perspective correct textures and floating point math which in itself is much too powerful to emulate on the other core as well.

Go ahead.

And for future, anything I say here or any pictures graphs etc that I post are public domain. You can do what you want with them :) I don't mind.

DaveC posted on Sep 9 2005 at 05:22 AM said:
shinneri posted on Sep 9 2005 at 05:01 AM said:

Go ahead.

And for future, anything I say here or any pictures graphs etc that I post are public domain. You can do what you want with them :) I don't mind.

......and he says A LOT. :) only kidding Dave

it isn't as impossible as DaveC made out. UltraHLE would run on a 233mhz PC and thats with windows overhead, running it at a higher resolution than the N64 outputs to and enhanced texture filtering.

ARMs obviously do suck at floating point but we've a whole second core which could potentially be used to compensate for it. A lot of the graphical effects as I said are largely done by calls to the GPU and quite a lot of these can probably be ignored.

It probably can't get to a playable speed but it at least makes for an interesting technical demo

I never say never.

I remember even more aggressive responses when newbies asked about the possibilities of emulating the GBA on the GP32 and the SNES on the GBA.

Don't say "NO!! LOL!" to these questions or maybe it'll be you who looks stupid in the end.

atsnom posted on Sep 8 2005 at 11:10 PM said:
Do you think a N64 emulator would be possible on the GP2X, A bit of Mario Kart or Goldeneye on the move would be coooooool

short question, short answer, NO

abigsmurf posted on Sep 9 2005 at 07:11 AM said:
it isn't as impossible as DaveC made out. UltraHLE would run on a 233mhz PC and thats with windows overhead, running it at a higher resolution than the N64 outputs to and enhanced texture filtering.

ARMs obviously do suck at floating point but we've a whole second core which could potentially be used to compensate for it. A lot of the graphical effects as I said are largely done by calls to the GPU and quite a lot of these can probably be ignored.

It probably can't get to a playable speed but it at least makes for an interesting technical demo

I see this all of the time. "It runs on a xxx MHz PC so it should run on a xxx MHz GP2X"

Again the pentium PC is much more powerful at the same clock speed plus PCs gave 3D acceleration the GP2X does not. Big difference.

If it is impossible at a playable speed then it is impossible. If it is just an N64 screen on the GP2X that you want just get a bunch of N64 screenshots and display them through a picture viewer. The performance would be about the same ;)

DaveC posted on Sep 9 2005 at 12:55 PM said:
I see this all of the time. "It runs on a xxx MHz PC so it should run on a xxx MHz GP2X"

Again the pentium PC is much more powerful at the same clock speed plus PCs gave 3D acceleration the GP2X does not. Big difference.

If it is impossible at a playable speed then it is impossible. If it is just an N64 screen on the GP2X that you want just get a bunch of N64 screenshots and display them through a picture viewer. The performance would be about the same ;)

ultimately though if a port doesn't exist you have to compare the levels of technology involved. UltraHLE is something like 8 years old and the 3D acceleration it used was limited (no HW T&L). It's hard to believe that there haven't been any advancements both in N64 emulation and software renderers since then.

DaveC posted on Sep 9 2005 at 02:55 PM said:
abigsmurf posted on Sep 9 2005 at 07:11 AM said:

An ARM is FASTER than a pentium at the same clock speed. Plus PCs at that time didn't have 3D accelerator(my uncle's pentium 200 had a s3 virge, 3D games were software based. 3D accelerators were very expensive). The only thing where pentiums are faster is floating point. GP2X's arms doesn't have fpu, which makes them very bad for 3D things, I agree on that. N64 is _imposible_ on the GP2X... IMHO

Imo N64 *emulation* may well be possible, but it would be in the vein of GBA emulation on a GP32 is (excluding GPA since it uses funny tricks to essentially convert a GP32 not emulate the processor). As DaveC says, if something did come out it would almost certainly be slow enough to make it essentially a picture viewer and little more.

But I don't see why it couldn't be done at least to that level.

However, that then moves on to the issue of why anyone should bother to even try something that's going to run that badly (same answer as always: "because they enjoy it") which I'm not desperately interested in having again. For those interested, look up the PSX emu on the GP32 thread and read the flamewar...

UltraHLE would run on a 233mhz PC and thats with windows overhead, running it at a higher resolution than the N64 outputs to and enhanced texture filtering.
I call bullshit. Unless that computer has a ridiculous gfx card, there's no way you're going to get anything playable out of a system that slow.

I got an early (buggy) N64 emulator running on my P166 at a slow but playable speed, although it did have a decent GeForce type grapics card in there. Considering the N64 had only recently been released, it was pretty amazing stuff at the time.

Alucard posted on Sep 9 2005 at 05:04 PM said:
As I plan to get both PSP and GP2X (although I can't really afford them):

How about N64 on PSP? Do you think that's possible (and playable)?
Problem with the PSP is that its RAM wouldn't be sufficient for a lot of the N64's best games. :(

Back