N64 For Gp2x

Status
Not open for further replies.

JARED

Still Fresh
Now I saw this on pspupdates.qj.net they were talking about a N64 for the psp, But do you think anyone will do one for the GP2X? That would be raw playing conkers bad fur day on the GP2X :D

SiN posted on Dec 22 2005 at 01:59 PM said:
Unlikely due to 64 bit-ness of the N64
Yet somehow these 32-bit computers of ours can emulate N64. However, (at least my) GP2X doesn't even run the NES emulator smoothly, that's the problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll try and make a sensible reply here.

I think a PSP is much better for emulating the n64.

The gp2x, has a better screen and controls, but the PSP is much better for it internally.

For a start, the n64 is a mips cpu. Which is the same as the PSP.

You get 333mhz x 2 on a PSP of a similar architecture to emulate 94mhz.

On a gp2x, you can only hope for 2x266mhz on the ARM9 architecture, which in my opinon is far supiror, but much worse for emulating MIPS.

The PSP also has 3d acceleration and a FPU. I'm not sure how they compare. But it's gotta be better then doing it in software, as with the gp2x.

So, I consider the n64 possible at playable framerates on a psp under the right circumstances, but it will never happen for the GP2X.

wild_eyed posted on Dec 22 2005 at 12:09 PM said:
not enough buttons. but i think, they will have somthing running demos, but thats probably all.
Not every game uses every button, so it shouldn't matter too much I would think.

But yeah, I can't see it happening on GP2X.

i agree never say never but i very much doubt n64 will ever be playable, as for nes emu well the gp2x is still only in its early stages as yet who knows what will happen

JARED posted on Dec 22 2005 at 05:52 AM said:
Now I saw this on pspupdates.qj.net they were talking about a N64 for the psp, But do you think anyone will do one for the GP2X? That would be raw playing conkers bad fur day on the GP2X :D

Bad example. Many N64 games, and Conker specifically, REQUIRE the analog control stick. (There's a certain fight in CBFD that you can't win without it). I tried it on an emulator and actually had to plug in an analog joystick in order to finish it. A digital stick won't cut it.

Goity posted on Dec 22 2005 at 01:19 PM said:
the Psp isn't 2x333 mhz... The other cpu is practically unusable.

link

To look the reply n 14 of yoyofr. The media engine isnt unusable.

i think N64 is possible on GP2X!

because i ran it on a 233MMX cpu with 16Mo of EDO ram :p it's ofcourse an "experimental" result we get, but technically it's possible with a big amount of HLE and a good optimization-maniac coder :D

but for real complete results of course, better wait the GP3X :D

As i recall, the PSP only has one processor...
Anyway, the PSP emulation scene won't be that strong...
Already a bunch of people are leaving it...

icurafu posted on Dec 22 2005 at 06:07 AM said:

The gp2x, has a better screen and controls, but the PSP is much better for it internally.

On a gp2x, you can only hope for 2x266mhz on the ARM9 architecture, which in my opinon is far supiror, but much worse for emulating MIPS.

The PSP also has 3d acceleration and a FPU. I'm not sure how they compare. But it's gotta be better then doing it in software, as with the gp2x.

So, I consider the n64 possible at playable framerates on a psp under the right circumstances, but it will never happen for the GP2X.

Finally, SOMEONE who thinks that GP2X is suited for the controls. ;P

wild_eyed posted on Dec 22 2005 at 06:09 AM said:
not enough buttons. but i think, they will have somthing running demos, but thats probably all.

The GP2X has 1 more button than the N64 controller does if you make use of the volume buttons and the joystick click.

For example:

Select - A
Start - B
A,B,X,Y - C-Buttons
R - R
L - Z
Vol+ - L
Vol- - Start
Joystick Click - Emu Menu

You could always make it so the emu can have customizable button setups, so you can switch the control setup around however you want. Also, you can have it so you change volume in the emu menu, like with 2xQuake. That leaves you all the buttons you need for the N64 controller, plus one button left over that can be set up for the emulator menu.

I'm REALLY tired of hearing reasons such as: "There aren't enough buttons" If you're going to deny that N64 emulation is possible, try stating Software or Hardware issues that are actual constraints.

Jarska333 posted on Dec 22 2005 at 08:49 AM said:
WRT N64 on 2X: Never say never. :)

AGREED. ^_^

icurafu posted on Dec 22 2005 at 11:07 AM said:

Yes I agre that the PSP is much better suited for N64 because of the MIPs architecture.

On the other hand GBA would be more likely on the GP2X because they are both ARM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back