Release Mupen64Plus 2.2

New build on the repo, with the new GLES2N64 with the framebuffer (and big pixels) back, as well as some fixes in the Core.
thanks! yet to try it out, but i hope it really squeezes the last out of my CC to make wave race more playable.

as a sidenote, your work on mupen has brought back my attention to the pandora itself (was idling around for long now), i'm thinking of doing some work for the GLES2N64 plugin (the shader stuff i've mentioned previously) and maybe something can be done with bsp's dsp library :)

New build on the repo, with the new GLES2N64 with the framebuffer (and big pixels) back, as well as some fixes in the Core.
thanks! yet to try it out, but i hope it really squeezes the last out of my CC to make wave race more playable.

as a sidenote, your work on mupen has brought back my attention to the pandora itself (was idling around for long now), i'm thinking of doing some work for the GLES2N64 plugin (the shader stuff i've mentioned previously) and maybe something can be done with bsp's dsp library :)
Good news :) If you can optimize GLES2N64 by specializing shader, that would be great :)

bsp dsp work can certainly help mupen yes, not completly sure of the best place for that yet (I initially though of Audio plugin at first, but maybe LLE RSP runned in dsp could be interesting to)

For what I know, mupen is GPU limited. The DSP cannot help much on this side (or maybe you could use the DSP to do the color conversion that would help the GPU a bit)

Is it just me or the new mupen version a bit slower (but more stable with less crashes)?

Rohezal, I'm tempted to agree with you. I need to run more tests, but I'm inclined to believe what version your Pandora is may effect the performance. The most popular games I played using Mupen (F-Zero X and Mario 64) Seem slower on my original Pandora then past versions, but Smash Bros seems to have speed up a little. Yoshi's story and Wave Race actually work for me now too. 

A few pages back, a user posted their findings on which video plug-ins worked best. Well, here is my unfinished list. This is all done on an original Pandora clocked at 900MHz. The Bolded and Italicized one is the one I'd recommend.

Banjo-Kazooie
--------------
Glide:A little faster then Rice at the cost of the colors being inverted.
Rice: A bit choppy especially with wide shots.
GLES: A little stuttery, but nearly perfect.
Arachnoid: Textures missing, water not transparent, some things are the wrong color. about the same speed as GLES with the benefit of full screen and not much else.

Blast Corps.
-------------
Glide: Wrong colors, crashes after logos.
Rice: Crashes after logos.
GLES: Glitched logos, crashes afterwords.
Arachnoid: Glitched logos, crashes afterwords.

Bust-A-Move '99
-------------
Glide: Really slow, but no graphical problems from what I can tell.
Rice: Graphical problems all over the menu & intro, but thankfully it doesn't effect gameplay. It otherwise runs a ton better. Actually playable
GLES: Really slow to boot up, and still slow throughout the game. Graphically okay. Comparable to Glide.
Arachnoid: Runs almost full speed and has no graphical glitches.

Cruis'n World
-------------
Glide: Menus are full speed, Gameplay is less then half speed. Graphically OK.
Rice: Menu's slow, gameplay even slower then Glide, made my Pandora hard crash.
GLES: runs around 40-45FPS, playable.
Arachnoid: Runs about as fast as Glide but with tons of graphical glitches.

Dr. Mario 64
-------------
Glide: Runs fine graphically but is ridiculously slow, crashes before it gets to gameplay.
Rice: Graphical problems and slow down make this unplayable.
GLES: Graphical problems and slow down make this unplayable.
Arachnoid: The fastest running of the 4, but speed will not save the unplayable gameplay due to graphical glitches.

Excitebike 64
-------------
Glide: Logo & Controller Pak load up, then black screen. System is still responsive but the game won't load beyond that.
Rice: Same as Glide.
GLES: Included a "Expansion Pak Enabled" screen, but other then that it's the same as Glide and Rice.
Arachnoid: Same as all the others.

F-Zero X
-------------
Glide: Quite playable, but sound is choppy.
Rice: Random lag spikes all over the place.
GLES: Consistent audio lag, but the FPS is extremely solid.
Arachnoid: Course Maps have become noodle soup, all vehicles have joined together to become one, and "fog" 30 feet from your vehicle makes racing extremely difficult.

Gex 64 - Enter The Geko
--------------
Glide: Minor graphical glitches, otherwise plays good.
Rice: No graphical glitches and very little stuttering... but it caused my pandora to hard crash.
GLES: nothing is visable.
Arachnoid: Camera is all over the place and there's too much "fog" to see anything that isin't right in front of the camera.

Glover
--------------
Glide: Logo fades out, crashes.
Rice: Logo fades out, crashes.
GLES: Black screen, crashes.
Arachnoid: Black screen, crashes.

I still have around 20 or so more games to try, but this is a good start. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I used the last version with my rebirth clocked at 950 and 370 mhz ram. It froze sometimes, even worse with 380 mhz ram. But now it is stable, sometimes it halts for a second (glide in mario kart) and is slower in general.

That's strange that you found mupen to be slower in general, the changes I have done between build 07 and 08 should no impact speed unless using GLES2N64 plugin (and I don't think I have left debugging trace in the build, but maybe I have to check that, at you can by looking at the pnd_run and see if you see shader sources and things like that).

About Dr Mario64, I have seen in previous post that Kumaki has it running by using LLE RSP plugin instead of default HLE RSP. I haven't tested myself, and it will make it much slower, but it seems to make the graphicals glitches go away.

Nice feature with the lowres, I only have a CC Pandora so Mupen is so or so slow. I also wonder if the overocking per config forks correctly, games seems to be still slow, at least SMash Bros that I've tested. I guess Smash Bros is one of these special cases, never got this game to run fast (it's smooth but runs in slowmo) and it's Sound tends to stutter.

I als wonder if added Anti Aliasing can compensate the lowres mode a little bit. Or does AA eat all of the performance that you have gained by using the lowres mode?

Nice feature with the lowres, I only have a CC Pandora so Mupen is so or so slow. I also wonder if the overocking per config forks correctly, games seems to be still slow, at least SMash Bros that I've tested. I guess Smash Bros is one of these special cases, never got this game to run fast (it's smooth but runs in slowmo) and it's Sound tends to stutter.

I als wonder if added Anti Aliasing can compensate the lowres mode a little bit. Or does AA eat all of the performance that you have gained by using the lowres mode?
try to set

Code:
framebuffer bilinear=1
in your config

There are no files on the Pandora from mupen. I cannot ad the file here...(i'am not allowed to upload it)   I make pictures tomorrow

Well I wasn't telling you to add anything.. If there was a mupen related folder in the /mnt/utmp folder I wanted you to delete it. If not then that isn't the issue.

But as you can see there is a new PND.. try that out if it fails you still have an issue. 
What i ment was that i cannot upload the pndrun_mupen64plus2.out file here so you can see what goes wrong ;)

The new pnd also doesn't work.....Its very strange the first build of mupen64plus2 worked :huh:

Have you tried cleared the /media/YOURSDCARD/pandora/appdata/mupen64plus2 directory?  I would back up any saves before doing this if you had any.. I lost the entire progress through the water temple in Zelda OOT by accident.. still upset about that. :(

If that doesn't work have you tried another SD card? perhaps you have something wrong with it.

I think there is some conflict with my os because return to castle wolfenstein,jedi knight 2 doesn't work either anymore and i cant update my os and i cannot start usermanager.

Everything worked till.........i changed my username in pandoraskin-nl (i think :unsure:  )could it be the problem?could this give a conflict?

I haven't tested anything in a few days, work has been crazy - it's tough when you are a one-person company!

But nobody else has added anything!  They talk in the thread about what games they are playing and what's working, but not putting that info into the Wiki.

i changed my username in pandoraskin-nl (i think :unsure:  )could it be the problem?could this give a conflict?
Is your SD card formatted FAT or EXT? Could be you're getting permission errors.
He is FAT formatted.But all the programs worked before only dosbox,dukenukem3d,pcsxrearmed,gingerbread and hurrican works now

***Edit***

I know what the problem is,I flashed my system and used skin-nl as my username everything works perfect but when i change my username to pandoraskin-nl (donation name for dosbox) some programs like mupen64 don't work anymore and i cannot change my username so i must flash it again..........well atleast i know what the conflict is :D

Thanks for the support guys B)

on topic: i just had a few minutes to try the latest build, but sadly i only get a black screen when using gles2n64's new framebuffer mode. i also tried pretty much all different sgx drivers, but no luck. there's nothing in the .out file. sound plays, just no picture. maybe you packed the non-working plugin by accident?

i'm on a CC if that helps.

on topic: i just had a few minutes to try the latest build, but sadly i only get a black screen when using gles2n64's new framebuffer mode. i also tried pretty much all different sgx drivers, but no luck. there's nothing in the .out file. sound plays, just no picture. maybe you packed the non-working plugin by accident?

i'm on a CC if that helps.
Just tested on a CC, and it worked for me? Strange. Don't you have some "per roms" settings maybe that redirect to Glide (glide doesn't work well sometime in a CC)? Or just reboot the Pandora, to be safe.

have even deleted mupens appdata folder... will try again later. thanks for checking

Back