Release Mari0

ptitSeb

Serial Porter
Here is Mari0, the Famous hybrid between the original 1985 Mario Bros and Portal.

preview1.png
This one use löve 0.8.0 engine. compiled against lunixboch libGL (and the fixed SDL), it runs very well!

https://www.youtube.com/embed/LTo-2L9KnfU?feature=oembed
Here is a video from Ingoreis of the gameplay on the Pandora

I configured Pandora control in the the config file (the game is untouched).

The keys are:

DPad to mode

{X} to run/fire

{B} to jump

{A} to use

{Y} to reload

Right nub to Aim

Shoulder buttons to fire portal (or left nub as mouse buttons)

History log

========

Build 02

-----------

• fixed fullscreen code
Build 01

----------

• Initial build
  • Key customisation in default options
  • Nubs configured mouse on right (using left_nub and right_nub files)

Last edited by a moderator:
Brings back lots of memories! Game plays very smooth and graphics are very nice!  Only problem is can't find it it Games-->Arcade. Can only find it using PNDManager.

Nice release!

Can you change the nubs to joystick mode?

This way you can change the options to "Use mouse: NO" and properly use the nubs (AIMX AIMY), I think it should be way faster to aim.

Nice release!

Can you change the nubs to joystick mode?

This way you can change the options to "Use mouse: NO" and properly use the nubs (AIMX AIMY), I think it should be way faster to aim.
I haven't tried, but you can. Open the right_nub file inside appdata/mari0 and put "absolute" instead of "mouse". (or use the latest beta of PNDConfig).

Map Editor seems to be broken.

I can't do anything than walk and can't even exit (no menu controls)

Map Editor seems to be broken.

I can't do anything than walk and can't even exit (no menu controls)
You have to use the mouse (so right nub to move, left to click) to place objects, and DPad is just for scrolling in the level.

To quit, press Escape, and than use touch screen to select the menu that showsup (that what's I found by quick testing that).

Hopefully, this ditnt get much beef whit Nintendo and Valve ...

Seems like a realy funny game, but i have to wait until evening, as i ditnt have my Pandora here..

Great, but the one time i tried yesterday in bed, there seemed to be some issue with the desktop "flickering" through the game when I used the nubs, i.e. the application wouldn't 100% stay in the foreground. Anyone else having this?

PS: this probably infringes copyrights (Mario graphics & sounds); not that anyone from Nintendo really cares though.

Great, but the one time i tried yesterday in bed, there seemed to be some issue with the desktop "flickering" through the game when I used the nubs, i.e. the application wouldn't 100% stay in the foreground. Anyone else having this?
Same here, first I had flickering from the desktop in the game, and when exiting the game parts of the taskbar (every part that has a button or text-display like battery and watch) were covered by  the brickwall pattern from the menu.

Also I am too slow for the game, I need more time!! :p

Same here, first I had flickering from the desktop in the game, and when exiting the game parts of the taskbar (every part that has a button or text-display like battery and watch) were covered by  the brickwall pattern from the menu.

Also I am too slow for the game, I need more time!! :p
Yep, the flickering and left over are caused by FrameBuffer access. I used FB so it's compatible with newer GL driver (and also, it works), but there are some drawback. Not much I can do to fix that :(

Yes, I get a lot of flickering, especially if the desktop interprets my right nub movements as a right click and starts drawing a menu.

Awesome game though. Thanks for porting!

Edit: I don't know how other games get around it. Perhaps you could draw a black window over everything that doesn't do anything with mouse clicks. Though I guess if you get a crash then you might be kind of screwed.

I though the löve windows was fullscreen, but it seems it's not, so you can see (using XFCE) the time update or things happening when the mouse goes down on the menubar.

I have to look at the init sequence, because it seems I'm missing something in the XWindow goes fullscreen (XWindows is not an easy beast :( )

I love those game! Thanks a lot for figuring out how to get them running.

If you are still bored:

https://love2d.org/wiki/Category:Games
OOh, there are much more than I though!

FYI, I tried "Mr Rescue" yesterday, but it needs shaders I guess, so it doesn't start. I tried another one from the same author that worked (screen a bit too large).

*EDIT* it's "sienna" the other one, and I have fixed, mostly, the screen resolution thingy...

New build on the repo, I fixed fullscreen code so much less blinking (just the usual mouse small artefacts).

Build 02

-----------

• fixed fullscreen code

Also, for thoses who want to test and packages more löve games, here is a PND for launching individual ".love" archive. I tried with "sienna" and it works well. Other may not work. Main problem will be lack of Shader (no easy solution) or Screen resolution. For this, I tried some hack, that works most of the time (with sienna for example) but not all the time (Ortho Robot for example, I'll try to alter the code for this one).

Also, some game may need some modification, to make controls more Pandora-friendly (for example, again, for sienna, the canaba-like game, before packaging it the "space" key should be changed to "(X) and/or ( B) , and dont forget .love are just zip file, with .lua and media files inside).

This pnd can be used as a base to create full version PND of course :) .

love080.pnd

Attachments

• love080.pnd
    4.5 MB · Views: 374
Yay! Working nicely now!  Just a few graphical glitches with piranha plants being visible in the top of pipes, but that may be the case in all versions of LÖVE, I dunno.

Personally, I quite like the mouse pointer glitching.  It's the only way to know whether it's going to be quicker to move the mouse down or right to rotate the pointer down to the horizontal most quickly.

By the way, the portal levels are awesome!  Nice freebie in a free game :D

Back