Logo Discussion

I prefer this:

140222120423451427.png
^ Well I suppose people would recognize it is supposed to mean DP for dragonbox pyra when they are laying down sideways..
I don't care. It's just for the look.

post-3032-0-65573500-1392987157_thumb.png
look good but like tribal tatoo.

140222120423451427.png
  look better and still have P from Pyra shape.
I agree that the horizontal one looks better, or maybe just more "relaxed" -- the vertical one has a bit of an aggressive edge to it, while the horizontal one reminds me of a sun behind a peaceful little cloud, or a pleasant, gently flowing little river.

But too much of the meaning is lost in the horizontal one: you lose the letters and the flames, which are the point of the logo.

I think Binky's logo combines the essence of logos #1, #2 and #4 perfectly.

The horizontal logo reminds me somehow to the Trabant logo.

800px-Trabant_601_Mulhouse_FRA_001.JPG

I agree that the horizontal one looks better, or maybe just more "relaxed" -- the vertical one has a bit of an aggressive edge to it, while the horizontal one reminds me of a sun behind a peaceful little cloud, or a pleasant, gently flowing little river.
Exactly.

The other point, is that the verticale will look even more agressive on Pyra because it is verticale and Pyra is horizontale. So it will look like a foreign element, a tribal sticker which was pasted by a metal fan on his favourite console.

The size will be cruciale.

Last edited by a moderator:
grad5.jpg
grad6.jpg
grad7.jpg
grad8.jpg

Trying to mess around with some simpler modifications of stuff. First is mod of #4, but wider and more ambiguous. Second one is kind of a capstone pyra-mid. Third is abstract dragon in flight. Fourth is just a thong cube. :p
Really nice.

But too much of the meaning is lost in the horizontal one: you lose the letters and the flames, which are the point of the logo.

I think Binky's logo combines the essence of logos #1, #2 and #4 perfectly.
Version two look more like flames. Anyway, what's wrong with being agressive?

I like that pyramid one, perhaps if the top section of that pyramid was swapped out for that flaming-P too... So a pyramid with flame. Best of both worlds.

The other dp ones I agree looks more aggressive vertically but horizontaly it doesn't work, loses all the letters and just bit too familiar, like Opal car or something it reminds me of

While a plain box looks cool, as for any shape that is basic, it is probably already trademarked.

That goes for design 2 too. Also, using helvetica, or any other such font, costs money when applied in this manner. Allthough possible, it is something to keep in mind.

Ideally something SIL Open Font License (OFL) or similar could be used to keep more with a free software perspective.

https://www.google.com/search?q=trademark+box+logo&safe=off&client=ubuntu&hs=PuH&channel=fs&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=TtwIU5LFKu2v7AaT0YEw&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1579&bih=1002#channel=fs&q=box+logo&safe=off&tbm=isch

Lets say there isnt, then its not that original either. Problems aside, i think bold, simple and distinct are the knobs to turn. The third one of those above is closing in on something.

I agree about the sticking out on the latest binky, but i think it can work. As with 5. there is a purpose to it. There is a bit of tuning to try to make it really final. The more voluminous single p was friendly, maybe trying to carry that over to the dp can work if there is more spacing in between. I think its an wonderous design. It looks whole in a sense that it turns into something else as well.

Wait, a pyramid.. that's genius.

If you could add something that symbolizes a "dragonbox" or just a draogn, it could be an excelent candidate IMO.

Also, this pyramid sort of reminds me of this particular logo, which isn't necessarily a good thing now that i think about it.

We must unite under one banner, relinquish differing personal affection at the price of a respected deciding voice or a popular vote.

Nobody is better of at nothing, the door needs to be closed.

We are not better than our ability to produce, if we cannot pick, then we are not even
that.

Say whatever final words you want to say now, commit.

To go forwards, absolutely nothing can be said in retrospect.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My thoughts on the matter are these, A design panel could be chosen to get a unified approach.
Starting with producing some guidelines.

This starts with seeing the casedesign, and knowing the fabrication process and limits. Material, shape, colour, light, tools and so on.
That is how real (aestetic-)designers work. If we expect mediocrity we will get mediocrity. At best we will get lucky,
that is not design.

I know enough about structural integrity to know the problems relating to the pandora case are the fault of the case manufacturer.
In light of said problems, they were integral to the plastic. Mitigating them somewhat by over-engineering would have
lessened the problem, but then again it would be with respect to the former, case manufacturer problem.

Bad businessmen blame others, regardless of trade. Certainly i hope the new case manufacturer will not be of the type that produces anything there is a need to put blame on others for.

I also know craftsmen are terrified by designers that don't know their place, that have no overview. For good reason.

The choice is made to have a case design company.
Problems are then their problem, that is good. Simply to help them by being given the tools to work with is what I'm asking, that is
my position. This means understanding what they do, and then coming to the table with something they can do, strictly within limits of making their jobs easy and letting them have responsibility and authority.

No additional complexity. An additional design element at the least amount of risk with respect to time.

The pandora is an exercise in utilitarian design. It looks like it should, because of what it is. So should the logo. Aesthetics does not mean randomness.

I think community members who have contributed design are capable of keeping to case design ideas or other such preliminary info
without derailing process or disclosing it.

Edit: specifying unification: At least the logo with what the logo is. Some mockups. Then the same design language for the dragonbox website, if that is wanted. Then the website, then the community logo. Then the pyra wiki.

On a semi-sidenote it would be interesting to know what speakers are in the unit. I have some speaker design experience, and could possibly determine what the speaker grille limits are. A honeycomb design is acoustically less obtrusive, but it requires higher material strength, and more complex fabrication. I like the pandora approach, but it always bugged me somewhat, i dont know that its perfect. And if it isnt, then is it really the perfect visual shape? Not proposing extra electrical filters, but knowing is better than guessing.

In any event, i want to learn, and the known info i can turn into fun for myself and provide (new) info for others to learn from too.

Hmmm... it looks nice - but I'm planning to have a transparent logo (with LED light) on the back of the lid...
Off topic: That could totally be used for flash, if we were to have a camera.  :p   :lol:

It could serve as a flashlight, moreso if the logo also has a lens like element to it. Freznel logo design 1-0-1 inc.

In my mind a black logo with translucent whitespace around it that lights up is a more alluring effect than (solid) white logo with just black outline.

Again, need more info on what the actual plans entail if they are etched out, otherwise i could try to help. Lightbleading from or onto the screen or added complexity just for bling is something to avoid.

So the lens could be hidden in the logo so that "company which don't want camera" issue would be resolved.

Back