Latest update: Keymats are here, how strong will the logo plate be - and pretty cases.

Not quite, in 7 weeks the cases will have been produced and painted... At least that's my understanding, though I've got a little lost on these time frames.
Reading this again, I'm not sure why the cases aren't just ordered now if ED knows no more changes are required
the thing is that Azouls company are not just sitting idle waiting for ED to give the go ahead. even if ED said to start production now there will be a wait time before the relevant injection moulding machine is finished with the job its is doing. there is probably a queue of customers for the machines. ED has to slot in and wait his turn.

the thing is that Azouls company are not just sitting idle waiting for ED to give the go ahead. even if ED said to start production now there will be a wait time before the relevant injection moulding machine is finished with the job its is doing. there is probably a queue of customers for the machines. ED has to slot in and wait his turn.
Yeah, totally get this, which is why i was wondering why the cases haven't been ordered already, but they might have been. This is where a further post of mine asks if we could have a part-by-part status update (not a full story just "keymats: arrived" and "cases: ordered, due 12 Dec", because i have no idea if they have been or not now.

I guess everything has arrived excluding logo plates (due today), and cases ( due in December I guess). And I predict everyone will envy @Grench by December end.
I am actually thinking that envy may happen sooner than 2 months.

From my interpretation, what is missing right now for mass production is the cases.

I suspect what is holding up prototypes is a combination of new vinyl logo plates and software/OS guardrails to make sure we idiots don't blow out our speakers or worse.

My preferred prototype case is this "granite grey" version with working black shoulder buttons. I haven't heard back from ED if this is an option though. All of this type may very well have gone to developers.

dscf4109-jpg.32674

I also don't know, though, if the other 7 in line ahead of me are requiring more work or higher finish levels or if the 8 have to go out in order.

I think ED is waiting for final paint samples (scratch resistant), and if it works as expected that cases will go to prototype buyers. Production for preorders will start after getting required quantity of that scratch resistant paint.

My preferred prototype case is this "granite grey" version with working black shoulder buttons. I haven't heard back from ED if this is an option though. All of this type may very well have gone to developers.

dscf4109-jpg.32674

I think that granite grey color in total matte coating, like black we have seen, would be very nice, much better than non-matte granite renders.

I think DragonBox shop could make good business with "other colors" Pyra case sales. And I think it is good for ED/Shop, good for Pyra live ad good for us if we want to get other color.

How much would it cost spare case on shop? Pandora case replacement on shop cost only 12€, really cheap. If Pyra cost a few € more, for coating/etc, I won't complaint.

I think that granite grey color in total matte coating, like black we have seen, would be very nice, much better than non-matte granite renders.

I think DragonBox shop could make good business with "other colors" Pyra case sales. And I think it is good for ED/Shop, good for Pyra live ad good for us if we want to get other color.

How much would it cost spare case on shop? Pandora case replacement on shop cost only 12€, really cheap. If Pyra cost a few € more, for coating/etc, I won't complaint.
That it is not coated is part of the allure of that case to me - at least for my prototype pre-order. I -want- it to show heat marks in the plastics. I don't want that uncoated granite grey case for everyone else's production - just my prototype.

Keep in mind that 'other colors' would be subject to a minimum order quantity of 500 or 1000 units and likely have an up front payment of thousands of Euros. These aren't something you can do as 'short batches'. Each one of these test run cases are likely costing ED more than 50 Euros each.

That said, I hope that the matte black Pyras sell in enough numbers (5000+?) to justify short ~250-500 case sets runs of 'limited edition accessory cases'.

For me, i think im fine whit the Color EvilDragon comes up whit (everyone knows the Slingshot Channel?? "Let me show you its features"^^)
I mean, i dont care much how my personally Pyra looks like..

Hello,
I don't post often, I don't even log in often, but I read these boards every day. I just wanted to drop in to continue to show my support and enthusiasm for this project. Thank you ED for the constant updates and impressive level of transparency and personal responses. Lack of the above is why I cancelled my Librem 5 pre-order last month. You've set a high standard.

On the topic of banning. I see nothing wrong with bumblebee's posts. I may not agree with that persons point of view, but there are several people here who have a point of view I do not understand nor agree with. This makes the place more interesting. Echo chambers are boring. EvilDragon has handled the situation remarkably well, and I hope bumblebee is at least taking into consideration that his posts are being responded to personally by the person in charge himself. This is absolutely unprecedented in this day and age. (unless you count the Pandora of course)

ED carried the Pandora to completion, despite setbacks so severe they make the Pyra project look extremely smooth and easy in comparison. I got my first batch Pandora after a really long wait. After all of my friends and family told me my money was long gone. After ED's former partner took off and left us all hanging. After an enormous amount of negative feedback from people completely convinced the project had failed. All these years later and my Pandora is still the most useful device I own. My much newer and more powerful smartphone is already so obsolete that I cannot download new apps (requires an OS upgrade beyond what my phone allows), cannot browse these forums (tapatalk requires higher OS version and the phone's browser wont render the forum), and the non-replaceable battery dies after half an hour away from a charger. Yet my Pandora, though it's much older, far less powerful, and in far worse physical condition, has only gotten better and better over the years. It can browse these forums, run WAY more programs than it could when I got it, sounds amazing when plugged into my huge speakers at work, and the original battery still holds about 85% of its original charge and lasts all day long with plenty left. It can even play Diablo II perfectly despite originally being told that is simply not possible on a low power ARM device.

It's because of the Pandora that I have absolute faith in the Pyra. I've seen all this before. I don't care how "old and under-powered" the SoC is. I will get a Pyra that will be a true upgrade to the Pandora in every respect except perhaps the sound output quality. My Pyra will improve year after year while my other devices get worse and worse. Better yet, it's modular, so the Pandora 3.0 will be far less expensive as I can (eventually) just upgrade the SoC itself. This means it's even more future-proof than the Pandora, and the Pandora is the most future-proof device I've ever owned.

Also if I have an issue with it, I can literally open a conversation with the people that made it. Which is, as I said above, absolutely unprecedented for a hardware device.

I didn't mean for this to turn into an advert or anything, I just think some folks may have lost a little of the big picture perspective here. This isn't some fly-by-night LLC that will crap out some hardware and then vanish. This is a highly experienced, completely transparent, extremely responsive group of people turning their passion into yet another extremely impressive, unique device that will last me a very very long time.

Thank you to everyone involved, including you awesome community of nerds, for doing everything you can to ensure my Pyra is as awesome as it can be! I'll go back to silently lurking now.

Back