Case Improvements and the keymat

Discussion in 'Pyra News' started by EvilDragon, Apr 4, 2019.

1. oskda

oskda Member

Some high-end Thinkpad had MgCast (magnesium alloy, really aluminum with magnesium) lids. And it was better than plastic. I haven't seen better material for that purpose (Thinkpad down base could be carbon fiber).

On other side it can be a good solution to cover aluminum edges with rubber (easier to fabricate than plastic, or even standard rubber with custom cut).
    --- Double Post Merged, Apr 17, 2019 at 7:41 PM, Original Post Date: Apr 17, 2019 at 7:34 PM ---
    There are high-end aluminum smartphones by millions and millions, and their wireless coms work without magic :)

A solution is simply: you left a very thin window for radio signals and cover it with rubber. Lots of aluminum phones had this solution.

Other solution is to add rubber pieces on aluminum edges, in this way you get shock protection and a way for radio signals, even better grip and even they can work as surface contact when using in a table.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019 at 7:48 PM
  2. Grench

Grench Forum Addict!

You are promoting form over function.

What you are describing are 'work arounds' for having chosen the wrong case material. That results in compromised antennas and, "you're holding it wrong".
    https://www.engadget.com/2010/06/24/apple-responds-over-iphone-4-reception-issues-youre-holding-th/

A far better solution is to simply make the case out of a properly chosen material that does not block the very signals you are trying to use.

3. levi

levi Still fresh, damnit!

I think most phones with aluminium backs radiate their radio signals mostly through the glass or plastic at the front.

4. Grench

Grench Forum Addict!

Behind the glass/plastic are a million or so color LEDs with micro-traces connecting them all to a multi-layer circuit board - often with the SoC and everything else behind it. Essentially we lock the phone's radio antennas behind Faraday walls.

Those aesthetics have resulted in very inefficient but high bling phones from manufacturers pursuing clueless purchasers.

levi likes this.
  5. oskda

oskda Member

You are too much simplistic here: things are not black or white.

Aluminum is worse for radio signals, and plastic is worse for heat. That is one blocks heat the other radio signals.

The best solution is not your simplistic one, but to choose mixed elements, some parts in one material and others in other material. You can have aluminum case with plastic windows for radio signals. Most smartphones in aluminum work perfectly because they don't take a simplistic way as you propose (only one material).

6. pmprog

pmprog Advanced Member

I often wondered then... How does the GPD Pocket "work" then? That has an aluminium body and no obvious plastic wi-fi spots (though it's been a while since i last took out my pocket to check)