Case Improvements and the keymat

Discussion in 'Pyra News' started by EvilDragon, Apr 4, 2019.

1. Grench

Grench Forum Addict!

You are promoting form over function.

What you are describing are 'work arounds' for having chosen the wrong case material. That results in compromised antennas and, "you're holding it wrong".
    https://www.engadget.com/2010/06/24/apple-responds-over-iphone-4-reception-issues-youre-holding-th/

A far better solution is to simply make the case out of a properly chosen material that does not block the very signals you are trying to use.

2. levi

levi Still fresh, damnit!

I think most phones with aluminium backs radiate their radio signals mostly through the glass or plastic at the front.

3. Grench

Grench Forum Addict!

Behind the glass/plastic are a million or so color LEDs with micro-traces connecting them all to a multi-layer circuit board - often with the SoC and everything else behind it. Essentially we lock the phone's radio antennas behind Faraday walls.

Those aesthetics have resulted in very inefficient but high bling phones from manufacturers pursuing clueless purchasers.

levi likes this.
  4. oskda

oskda Member

You are too much simplistic here: things are not black or white.

Aluminum is worse for radio signals, and plastic is worse for heat. That is one blocks heat the other radio signals.

The best solution is not your simplistic one, but to choose mixed elements, some parts in one material and others in other material. You can have aluminum case with plastic windows for radio signals. Most smartphones in aluminum work perfectly because they don't take a simplistic way as you propose (only one material).

5. pmprog

pmprog Advanced Member

I often wondered then... How does the GPD Pocket "work" then? That has an aluminium body and no obvious plastic wi-fi spots (though it's been a while since i last took out my pocket to check)

6. Jan-Nik

Jan-Nik Member

My guess would be: The keyboard holes.

7. docbroke

docbroke Active Member

My experience is full metal body is more problematic for mobile networks, wifi works just fine.

8. jacob martinelli

jacob martinelli Still Fresh

what if there were a flip up antenna designed for better reception as to outweigh the cons of using an external, extendable antenna?

9. trix

trix Very Active Member

Or we could make the entire case out of the same rubber that superballs are made from! That way if I accidentally drop my Pyra, it just bounces right back up into my hands! No damage, and I don't even have to bend over to pick it up! Also I get to practice my reflexes!

OR
    We could drop the whole "pocket" thing altogether, and make it portable in an entirely different way! Like, lets make the Pyra into a baseball cap, with a flip-down screen that flips down from the bill of the cap, with a removable keyboard/nub/input area that we could just hold in our hands and store up our sleeves.

As a bonus, the flip-down screen in the bill would force people to wear the hat in the correct orientation and cut down on the douchy-teenager factor!

FBnil, AnimatedFreak and levi like this.
  10. docbroke

docbroke Active Member

Foldable screens are already in the market, case can be flexible rubber, only PCB needs to be made of rubber and it will be entirely flexible.

Wait a minute, how you will press the keys, then ?

11. ClockworkCoder

ClockworkCoder Chaotic Neutral

Using rubber gloves?

Sounds like a ZX Spectrum

FBnil likes this.
  12. DrHAX

DrHAX T̶h̶e̶ ̶A̶u̶t̶h̶o̶r̶ The Artist

on a hard surface.

Though I’d rather not have a Melting Clock version of the Pyra thank you very much.

13. levi

levi Still fresh, damnit!

Copying to the relevant news thread:

Last edited: May 8, 2019
  14. DrHAX

DrHAX T̶h̶e̶ ̶A̶u̶t̶h̶o̶r̶ The Artist

Not bi-monthly?o_O

rSl and levi like this.
  15. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Administrator Staff Member

Yes, I have some news, but might want to present them as a video mostly.

Drezrek, pimaster, rSl and 7 others like this.
  16. sleepy

sleepy Still Fresh

I have some concerns about the black case, any chance this will the mattest & blackest colour scheme available?

17. docbroke

docbroke Active Member

That sounds like some good news :D

18. matzesu

matzesu Hardcore Member

As long he dosnt show the crashed packages whit the Case Parts and the USB Stick whit the Case Files thats also destroyd..
    But i like his Vidoes, sadly there wherend that much Pyra Videos compared to the Pandora (One Video Per Day)..

rSl likes this.
  19. ClockworkCoder

ClockworkCoder Chaotic Neutral

That's serious dedication! Assume circumstances are a little different now.

20. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Administrator Staff Member

Yes, I wasn't the one handling the production back then, so I couldn't do anything but post videos :D
    I also didn't have a wife / girlfriend back then, so I could work a lot more on these...

Now that I have to do EVERYTHING myself, I'm focussing on the more important things first, and that's kicking asses of the companies :D