Latest update: Keymats are here, how strong will the logo plate be - and pretty cases.

oskda

Very Active Member
... but for now those matte black cases look awesome.
So do I. I love that matte black. The best part is that it is a good color for most people and acceptable for all. Other colors like blue or red are not good or acceptable for all people.

Last edited:

crazyhorse

Very Active Member
Has a quick start guide or packaging been considered yet? Hows the software side of things going?

Love the painted finish also.

pmprog

DNF (Did Not Finish)
Hmmm, there are two RGB LEDs in the lid, so there's 8 pins on the rear of the display board, assuming 2 are ground, you have 6 pins, which is more than enough to feed data to an I2C display, though I'm not sure if you could physically fit a driver board and display in the case. Would be pretty neat though

everfresh

Always Fresh
Has a quick start guide or packaging been considered yet? Hows the software side of things going?

Love the painted finish also.
I'd also be curious about a software progress update. We've heard a lot about the hardware, and I like where it's going, but we have not heard much about the software as of late.

levi

Still fresh, damnit!
And how will this Fullfilment of the Order work?? Do you make the Massproduktion and when you have par exemple Pyra 28 on your Table, you send me a Email??
That's a point. I think I made my original order with a gmail address, but I've been forced off using that address due to google's demand to get my phone number off of me. I have ordered things from the shop using my new email address, but my original orders are all connected to my old address. I still have the mails with the codes in them so I don't think there'll be a problem, but if he tries notifying me at the address associated with my original order, I won't get it.

But I'm assuming if he says he's produced at least 200 units here I know that mine will be included, so I can take my codes to the shop and order it. It might be more tricky for people whose order numbers are nearer to the 1000 boundary for example, but I guess if people order their units when they can get everything together, ED can just send them out when they're ready.

What happens if earlier units are produced but people haven't paid up yet when later money comes in is a decision for ED to make. He could make all the units and apply the serial numbers to them and put them in storage, or he could just print the labels with all the serial numbers on them and apply them to units as they're put together. Given the physical unit will be assembled at GC and tested, and ED will only have to apply the sticker I assume, so I guess for the early units with prespecified serial numbers I guess he'll do that, and later units that come in when mass production is up and running will just get the next number in the stack when their order gets processed, with any unpaid stickers for early serial numbers stored off in a drawer somewhere.

Last edited:

ClockworkCoder

Chaotic Neutral
I guess I might be quite low down the list. I thought it was close to 1000 units when I ordered, and that was back in the beginning of October 2016. Forgot where I can find my order number though; can't see it in the emails.

Funny I asked the shop that I was concerned about paying the remainder of the balance quickly if it was going to ship imminently. The reply was encouraging, and suggesting that it might be Q1 2017, so plenty of time. Think the vouchers should cover it now!

Incidentally I have also been making steps towards detangling myself from Google, although I still have the same old address for now.

Reactions: rSl

rSl

i'm not tired. you're tired.
i departed from gmail a long time ago axactly for the same reason. they wanted my phonenumber for unlocking my email, so i said 'f**k you plenty google' and moved on.
i use berlin based mailbox.org now and love their pro privacy mindset.

Grench

Forum Addict!
I'm using google fi for my cell phone. They already had my number... in more ways than one I suppose.

docbroke

Banned
i departed from gmail a long time ago exactly for the same reason. they wanted my phonenumber for unlocking my email, so i said 'f**k you plenty google' and moved on. i use berlin based mailbox.org now and love their pro privacy mindset.
I moved from google to protonmail free account. It is quite limited ( free version ) but still enough for my needs. I only miss imap/smtp, but that's ok, as I am getting adfree open-source secure mail account. I don't need huge storage capacity as I delete most mails once it's purpose is done.

docbroke

Banned
I use my Moto X4 with lineage OS without google apps.
I still have my google account active to make sure that I don't miss some important mail as I have used it for many years and even after migrating to protonmail, I still receive occasional mails on my google account. My pyra preorder was also placed with gmail. So I will keep it for sometime till all my contacts learn about new email address.
EDIT: and protnmail has free unlimited VPN service too, ( I haven't tried it yet though).

Last edited:

Inferrrer of Types Dr. λ

Checker of Types and β-Reducer of β-Redexes
I use a mail.com address instead of gmail. Though I still have a Google account, using a phone number I got temporarily while in Thailand. They won't ever be able to reach me on it though, so I could get locked out any moment.

I also used to use a hotmail account but it got blocked because I tried logging in from Thailand and do not have the "security" e-mail account anymore. I do have the login credentials, but that's not enough anymore.

Either way mail.com lets me log in from wherever I want without any complaints and does not insist on having my phone number so it works fine for me.

modport

Wondering what US carrier LTE bands the Pyra supports. I'm a Verizon user and I only care about data only LTE use cases. Thanks.

Edit:
Ah, I found https://pyra-handheld.com/wiki/index.php?title=Modem and the PLS8-US. The datasheet shows that it doesn't support Verizon's main/primary LTE band: 13. Well, this is unfortunate for me.

Last edited:

TrashyMG

Sarcasm Dispenser
Staff member
Wondering what US carrier LTE bands the Pyra supports. I'm a Verizon user and I only care about data only LTE use cases. Thanks.

Edit:
Ah, I found https://pyra-handheld.com/wiki/index.php?title=Modem and the PLS8-US. The datasheet shows that it doesn't support Verizon's main/primary LTE band: 13. Well, this is unfortunate for me.
Yeah in the same boat, but I don't really see myself using the phone features of the Pyra, just cared about GPS.

modport

Yeah in the same boat, but I don't really see myself using the phone features of the Pyra, just cared about GPS.
I'm only interested in LTE data myself. I'm not interested in voice (seems like it'd be awkward to use the Pyra as a phone) and Verizon is planning on shutting down their CDMA/3G network next year anyway (I can't even recall the last time I was somewhere with only 3G available).

The built-in LTE was the main reason I was interested in the Pyra as a UMPC over other devices (ie. GPD MicroPC). I'm stuck with Verizon too. I have grandfathered unlimited data and I've been using one of the lines (~$35 USD for the line) on various devices by just moving the SIM card around.

levi

Still fresh, damnit!
Hmm, I've just found it more or less impossible to find the list of frequencies supported by the Pyra, short of finding the part at Gemalto and downloading the datasheet. I have discovered that if you live in a big city in the US it seems to me quite likely Verizon is running LTE on bands other than 13. While 13 is their main band they also run overflow bands on other frequencies namely bands 2, 4 and 66 with band 5 coming next year as they turn off their CDMA towers using that frequency (it's 850MHz in normal speak)