Last known issue fixed

First of all, please don't quote wikipedia as a valid source..

what da fu** ? This prejudice/FUD is still around?

Wikipedia is among the best sources around: it has good policies in place (mostly derived from the academic domain), is community/peer reviewed, is transparent about the origin of information, processes, policies and doesn't try to sell "truth" but "agreed on state of the art". Not more not less, the best possible approximation of truth. If you looking for definitive answers from authorative sources which give you "truth" .... you do it wrong.

(Sorry for this rant... but I'm quite shocked... is this a prevalent opinion? I mean Wikipedia has problems, but do we have something better? I don't see it...)

Wikipedia is among the best sources around: it has good policies in place (mostly derived from the academic domain), is community/peer reviewed, is transparent about the origin of information, processes, policies and doesn't try to sell "truth" but "agreed on state of the art". Not more not less, the best possible approximation of truth. If you looking for definitive answers from authorative sources which give you "truth" .... you do it wrong.

(Sorry for this rant... but I'm quite shocked... is this a prevalent opinion? I mean Wikipedia has problems, but do we have something better? I don't see it...)
In the collage I went to they auto fail any paper that references wikipedia in any way even after an independent study showed it was as accurate as the encyclopedia Britannica.

Hey Askarus... when are you going to add your feet and head to your avatar? It's been a year now... havent been able to look you in the eyes. And don't be ashamed for wearing sandals. :p

Don't know.
some time soon, maybe not.
It's the fault of the new Forum software so I'm in no hurry ;)

Let's say I'll update my Avatar as when the Pyra is released. So I'll have plenty of time left :p

There's no need for the reputation of Wikipedia to uphold the validity of any individual claim made there. If it has a citation that appears credible you'd may as well source the citation. If it doesn't have a citation that appears credible then it's probably not worth mentioning.

It's a great resource in general but there are decent arguments why you shouldn't just source Wikipedia itself authoritatively to support a point.

In the collage I went to they auto fail any paper that references wikipedia in any way even after an independent study showed it was as accurate as the encyclopedia Britannica.

:( ... this was/is quite sad... it seemed the academic domain felt threatened at that time by the "amateurs" so that they responded with hysterical FUD...

Naturally, I would expect that Wikipedia and academic education is a natural fit; showing limits, possibilities and chances of web 2.0 and the information age ... but this has not materialized as I hoped for. (Maybe some generational change in the teaching personal is required...still too fresh concepts). But at least outright rejection doesn't happen (that often ?) anymore in recent years , at least around me.
[doublepost=1475507613,1475507037][/doublepost]
It's a great resource in general but there are decent arguments why you shouldn't just source Wikipedia itself authoritatively to support a point.

Indeed, this can and should be one lesson of Wikipedia: there is no authoritative source & truth, but just consensus and sources of varying quality. Stay alerted and think and check yourself. Wikipedia is "honest" and doesn't try to oversell what it has and is (unlike sometimes academia and other sources), which is for me maybe the greatest quality.

Well, don't ask me exactly how it works, but the charger chip CAN control the CURRENCY it draws.

First I thought, "Well, I guess ED doesn't need us anymore, he's made a money making machine."
My next thought, "Oh wait, this is the part of the Pyra that draws in all of our money>"

My thoughts drift off sometimes...

:( ... this was/is quite sad... it seemed the academic domain felt threatened at that time by the "amateurs" so that they responded with hysterical FUD...

Naturally, I would expect that Wikipedia and academic education is a natural fit

How would it be? Academics require vetted peer reviewed sources... oh wait...

Seriously though, at least in Jr. Colleges, I've been recommended to use Wikipedia, the caveat is to not use Wikipedia directly (it is just an aggregator with a summery after all), but to use the sources it links to.

More useful than news sites anyway that link to nothing but their own site/sister sites as sources.

Wow... Just wow. You know what? I really don't care anymore. Use wikipedia, don't use wikipedia, whatever. I try to make a simple point that any 2nd year engineering student (that had physics II or an EE intro course) could understand and I inadvertently cause a row over the validity of Wikipedia as an academic source. Lesson learned. I'll go back to being a lurker. :-#

I'm not so sure... I hate when my laptop tells me that I should use a 70W+ charger and that my currently used "dell 90W" charger is not recognized and might prevent my laptop to charge...
If that warning is only triggered when there's real instability risks, it's nice, if not it's quite bad, too much warning, notification or popup just kills it...
Both of those are way more than what I want. I would only want something that is user initiated to tell us what is going on with it, as with the system info tools we have on the Pandora (and I almost always have live sys info running so I can pop it up whenever I want/need it).

I do think the second warning notification type you mentioned might be good as a default, if it can easily be disabled. I should have been a bit more explicit with what I meant by that originally. The first one is irritating (although it is probably there to help people that don't know any better).

If you think Wikipedia sucks, or is wrong, get off your ass and fix it. If you aren't willing to do that, or do the footwork and research to produce something of a higher caliber, stop bitching about how bad it is. As was already said, if you use it properly Wikipedia is extremely valuable. I would have rather had something like it instead of the nearly worthless encyclopedias I grew up with.

Wow... Just wow. You know what? I really don't care anymore. Use wikipedia, don't use wikipedia, whatever. I try to make a simple point that any 2nd year engineering student (that had physics II or an EE intro course) could understand and I inadvertently cause a row over the validity of Wikipedia as an academic source. Lesson learned. I'll go back to being a lurker. :-#

don't feel too bad about this, i think wikipedia is a great secondary source, and if you don't like it you can fix it (see rygD's post above). listen to good voices here, though we all have our bad days, some people seem to have more ;).

I think most of it could've been avoided had you not done this:
xD:'( HAHAHAHAHA!

Your initial point and delivery was good. You may have considered what was said inaccurate or incorrect, but that reaction was uncalled for. Be respectful of others and you'll have a better time.

Ye of little faith!

Au contraire, mon pote! (english: I disagree). He is fully confident he has 2 full months to fix his avatar.

varying quality
one of my "hobbies" is comparing Wikis in different languages. And sometimes, you are lucky if a subject matter expert adds things in one language, so you can edit/add them in the other one. Unfortunately, anonymous edits are not trustworthy, so many of my edits have been rejected. But that is the way it is. Sometimes there are weird differences, like non equal weight of periodic table entries... (can not remember which).
Another thing I did once is reading the edits/modifications log... on political issues there are people waiting for modifications, and they rectify things back to what they want them to be.

Ah, very simple to find an example:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallium Boiling point 2673 K (2400 °C, 4352 °F) (also German value(Siedepunkt), Romanian, )
https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galio Punto de ebullición 2477 K (2204 °C) (also southAfrica, Indonesian, Lojban, Turkish, Italian, French, Russian)
https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallium Kookpunt (K) 2478

Many languages just have the periodic table with less than a minimum of information... as if nobody bothered to edit it.
The Dutch want to be different, and their value is 2478... And French/Germans will never be able to come to a value, unless they come to a consensus and meet in the middle... still 196 degrees difference is quite a lot...

Another example is the division of Antartica. Everybody overlaps with others and even countries that have no proximity claim a piece... try to settle for who is owner of the apostrophe shaped tail....

330px-Chile_%28orthographic_projection%29.svg.png
330px-Argentina_orthographic.svg.png

For more see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_territorial_disputes

I'll go back to being a lurker.
No, don't. Your input was valuable to me to understand how others feel about Wiki.
Just don't bring up wiki if you don't want to hear the opinion of others.... but feel free to talk about everything else (except keyboard layouts, ICP2, he-who-must-not-be-named... those derail topics with a force that can even derail orbits of planets)
I had encarta once... it had a very very very limited amount of topics.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Guys guys chill down. Wikipedia is often a good way for first impressions. If you want to use information from it, read the sources at the bottom of each wikipedia article. If there is a information written down in the article without a source, dont believe it, flag it and let moderators do their thing. That the correctness of wikipedia is right most of the time doesnt help you in a specific case when you can't validate the information when there is no primary source linked.

ED I'm glad this problem was fixed so easy. Do you still need to do tests or are you sure this last known issue is the last issue? Or will prototype testing do this job of finding more bugs?

Back