I Just Got My Gp2x!!!

well I just got my unit from liksang... no screen protector, no batts (that could be a shipping to usa thing).. the 'english manual' is nothing but guyfawks pdf guide printed out...

everything seems to work. a little surprised i cant look 'straight on' to the screen, i need to tilt slightly to have it colourise properly to my eyes.

The screen protector is already installed. It's the big chunk of plastic over the LCD (they used to leave it for the end-user to install). They stopped including alkaline batteries, since they last less than 20-30 minutes. The MK2 screen's viewing angle could be better, yes, but it's not terrible.

Took delivery of mine yesterday from gp2x.co.uk.

I ordered the 275MHz tested version.

This machine rocks! Yes it's fiddly at first but if you grew up using ZX Spectrums, Atari Sts etc you'll find this machine a virtual time machine! Head over Heels on the spectrum beats most XBOX360 games hands down IMO!

Battery life is good, video playback is faultless, games are fantastic!

I pondered for about 9 months before I bought mine but then I bit the bullet and I'm sure glad I did.

I also own a DS which is also great but this is a different machine altogether, love to bits already! :wub:

Hi there! - I have just ordered a GP2X and I am really looking forward to it! Never really treated myself to a new handheld/console before until now.

I was very impressed with what is currently happening with the GP2X, and I am looking forward to keeping up to date in the community on any new developments.

FrankG posted on Oct 17 2006 at 12:52 PM said:
I was very impressed with what is currently happening with the GP2X, and I am looking forward to keeping up to date in the community on any new developments.

It's an exciting time, to be sure. This past week or so has seen some amazing releases -- new versions of Scummvm, PicoDrive (with 2nd core usage!), SquidgeSNES, MAME, UAE, among other things.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm getting mine tomorrow morning :) My parents are bringing it down here (I ordered it to their house to be safe). However, the seller on Amazon.com i ordered the SD card from is slow as hell and I don't think they've even shipped it yet... So I can't use it much yet :p I can look at it and be happy though.

xiaorico posted on Oct 19 2006 at 09:56 PM said:
I'm getting mine tomorrow morning :) My parents are bringing it down here (I ordered it to their house to be safe). However, the seller on Amazon.com i ordered the SD card from is slow as hell and I don't think they've even shipped it yet... So I can't use it much yet :p I can look at it and be happy though.
You have 30 or so megs of NAND you can use :)

- Alex

Alex. posted on Oct 20 2006 at 03:08 AM said:
xiaorico posted on Oct 19 2006 at 09:56 PM said:
You have 30 or so megs of NAND you can use :)

- Alex
If the usb cable works :p

looks like i got lucky! As my parents were bringing my gp2x down here, the package from the usps arrived at my apartment! I had assumed it wasn't getting shipped since they never updated the tracking info, but i guess they just didn't update it and still sent it. So now I have the gp2x and sd card :) I also got an mp3 player from the same people as the sd card! I know the gp2x plays mp3, but i didn't want to carry around my precious gp2x in my pocket as I have a tendency to crash my bike and crush whatever was in my pocket. And i see that the new firmware came out today too! Lots of happy coincidences today huh! I'm going to be engulfed in tech gadgets now!

Just got mine. Very pleased with what I've got running (a few Atari ST and Atari VCS/2600 games initially, plus Sonic for the Megadrive). BUT....

1) the joystick is APALLING. I honestly didn't think it'd be as awful as the PSP's thing, but it is. Searching around here I've seen a few people doing guerilla mods on their GP2Xes. Is there anything more consumer-orientated (ie. has anyone started selling replacement sticks yet?)

2) having to track down antique ROMs for MAME is a bit of a pain. Hardly any of my existing ROMs run, which is very disappointing. So much for a heavy Dig-Dug session on the tube on the way home, will have to stick to Berzerk on the VCS.

Denus posted on Oct 25 2006 at 09:33 PM said:
You got yours: the MK2 or the first version?
I hope that joystick problem is fixed on the MK2 version.

Afraid not. I haven't seen an original version but I can confirm that the MK2 stick is completely pants. I'm thinking that I'll ditch the cap totally and maybe make something to bulk up the stick shaft itself, similar to some of the old LCD games I had as a kid.

Loccy posted on Oct 25 2006 at 10:11 PM said:
I can confirm that the MK2 stick is completely pants.
You can confirm your own opinion, nothing more :)

In my opinion, it's rather excellent.

Got my GP2X yesterday, as I'd sold my trusty GP32 the week before along with a bunch of other older stuff. I've been told I need to 'consolidate'... (sniff) so this is how I balance out dumping my Turbo Express, Nomad, Lynx and others. My PSP and DS Lite still lurk in my shoulderpack, tho.

Pretty happy with the emulation performance, although the materials quality seem a touch sub-par compared to the 32 (light and plasticky). Little quibbles like the edges of the display glass being slightly rough, cheap feeling shoulder buttons, ill fitting headphones plug and more keep this from giving an impression of quality like a Zodiac or the new Sony/Nintendo stuff.

But again, with the emulation - wow. And although I haven't messed with the video cable with extra controllers added on, yet, that part seems to be the real killer app. Old games emulated almost to perfection that you can play on the go AND plug into your TV like a console? Awesome.

Back