I Just Got My Caanoo

quote said:
jutley said:
So do you get a ac adapter with the caanoo?
Nope, GPH are going to sell a USB wall adaptor seperately. You'll get a USB cable with the Caanoo so you can charge on your PC.
@Quote: sorry, but thats not really true ;)

Like shown on the pictures i got from GPH:

1x Caanoo
1x USB charging cable
1x AC Adapter for charging the Caanoo (via USB cable)

BR,
André

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you know if GPH will release a Wiz firmware update that boots as fast as the Caanoo's?

@andymanone:
From Tony Han two weeks ago:
In the Pakcage there are
- Manual CD + PC Manager
- Quick Guide
- USB Cable
- Hand Strap
- EXTRA Stylus pen
Either things have changed since then, or you got a pre-production unit. What you got with the Caanoo now will not be the same as what people will get when it ships in August.

Edit: Alex, GPH have said that they'll continue to support the Wiz and release games for it, but future firmware updates might be hoping for too much. This is all I've heard on the matter though. For all I know, GPH might be planning on giving the Wiz the Caanoo's firmware themselves.

There will be a new Wiz firmware. They announced a WLAN adapter and TV-out cable for the Wiz and I think they will provide a firmware for this features (There is a video showing a beta of this firmware)
I doubt we will see a fast boot firmware for the Wiz from GPH. I think one reason GPH drops the NAND in the Caanoo is that it takes a long time to initialize on the Wiz.

quote said:
jutley said:
So do you get a ac adapter with the caanoo?
Nope, GPH are going to sell a USB wall adaptor seperately. You'll get a USB cable with the Caanoo so you can charge on your PC.

Are you sure? I got a European wall adapter in the box.

Edit: sorry, dunno how I missed your post above, maybe its just a pre production thing.

@Adapter:
okay, but i think it isn´t worth to discuss about it ;) .
Such adapter you can by everywhere for 2-5 USD´s

But another little fine Info:

I got my Caanoo with an ordinary WIFI stick (basend on Ralink chipset)
successful working :D

Here is a short video:

Gtx.,
andY

Andy,

I love how small it is compared to the actual dongle that GPH sales what brand and model is your mini usb ralink wireless adapter?

He uses a Digitus Wireless 300 N:

http://www.digitus.info/en/products/network/?c=1231&p=17551

But be careful. There is a different version called "Wireless 150N" available which is smaller but uses a Realtek chip.

There are some similar adapters available like the Hama WLAN Mini (Which I use for the Wiz) and the Buffalo Nfiniti Wireless-N Ultra Compact Nova posted.

DingooDigitalUSA said:
Andy,

I love how small it is compared to the actual dongle that GPH sales what brand and model is your mini usb ralink wireless adapter?
Hi Jason, i´m really happy to find you here again, last time i see ya, was in the Dingoo Forum :) !!!

Okay, so like sbock told, there are three revisions of Digitus 150N Sticks...

You can use two of them w/o problems a DN-7043-1 or a DN-7043-2 but beware of DN-7043-3 :excl:
It use a Realtek Chip , that doesn´t work with GPH´s Wiz and Caanoo...

BR,
andY

Pickle said:
wiz has the same gpu as the caanoo ;)
in my opinion the caanoo should have been what the wiz was, aside from the analog stick.
What about the backwards speakers? I would assume that isn't too great for stereo sound and loudness.

Hopefully it won't be too hard to port things back and forth. I still would like to see some of the newer canoo releases of games and emus on the Wiz.

andymanone said:
My vision: to be able to use also a floppy in the future directly with Emulators (Amiga, Atari etc.)

Gtx,
andY

You know you're not going to be able to read Amiga floppies with a standard USB floppy drive, right?

Pleng said:
andymanone said:
My vision: to be able to use also a floppy in the future directly with Emulators (Amiga, Atari etc.)

Gtx,
andY

You know you're not going to be able to read Amiga floppies with a standard USB floppy drive, right?
Yes i know, normally it only works with direct connected floppys using PC´s internal floppycontroller,
but as i know there are some intelligent Hardware adapters in development, which will be connected beetween USB floppys and PCs and make it possible, to read the original stuff .

BR,
andY

Not quite. PC floppy controllers don't have the required hardware to access the Amiga floppy drive. What's needed to use Amiga floppies on a PC is a device called a catweazel which was an Amiga floppy controller on an ISA (!) card. I believe a PCI version was made too.

I have seen USB Amiga floppy controllers too but I don't know if they're easily available. Might need to do some modding!

Pleng said:
Not quite. PC floppy controllers don't have the required hardware to access the Amiga floppy drive. What's needed to use Amiga floppies on a PC is a device called a catweazel which was an Amiga floppy controller on an ISA (!) card. I believe a PCI version was made too.

I have seen USB Amiga floppy controllers too but I don't know if they're easily available. Might need to do some modding!
I´m sorry that i must correct you at this point, but you´re not right ;) .

You can use the fdrawcmd.sys drivers and its supported ATARI and Amiga disk format on an ordinary PC with an ordinary 3,5inch floppy drive.

I use it for a long time themself, so i should know this... ;)

You can also use adfread with fdrawcmd.sys if you want to use it especially for WinUAE.

BR,
andY

Wow I really can't wait for my unit with the pre-orders now wow wow wow.... Still short on pre-orders need several to meet quota that GPH wants to make your pre-orders now ;)

Pickle said:
Just got a cannoo, seems as is nothing from the wiz is runable (although im hearing sounds of the community coming up with a workaround)

No point on preordering then <_< I'll wait until the software works.

That is a fair point actually, considering the Caanoo pretty uses the same hardware, why isn't the software backwards compatible?
What I mean is why didn't GPH keep the software architecture reasonably the same.

RupeeClock said:
That is a fair point actually, considering the Caanoo pretty uses the same hardware, why isn't the software backwards compatible?
What I mean is why didn't GPH keep the software architecture reasonably the same.

They changed the ARM application binary interface from OABI to EABI. The advantages in theory are better floating point performance and that you can now switch to newer GCC compiler versions. We have to see if if there is a real performance gain in actual applications...

andymanone said:
Pleng said:

I´m sorry that i must correct you at this point, but you´re not right ;) .

You can use the fdrawcmd.sys drivers and its supported ATARI and Amiga disk format on an ordinary PC with an ordinary 3,5inch floppy drive.

Well I've never heard of fdrawcmd.sys. It must be relatively new because I remember expensive hardware for reading Amiga floppy disks on a PC, back in the day. I don't see why ATARI disks should be a problem anyway, they just use FAT, don't they?

You can also use adfread with fdrawcmd.sys if you want to use it especially for WinUAE.

I assume that's a program that reads the contents of the disk as an ADF file?

Back