I Just Got My Gp2x!!!

Just got mine a few days ago 2 days from gp2x.co.uk
:D its absolutely brilliant!!!!!!! although i havent managed to get quake or duke nukem to work yet but thats probably just my fault

bennyboy posted on Sep 18 2006 at 09:00 PM said:
Just got mine a few days ago 2 days from gp2x.co.uk
:D its absolutely brilliant!!!!!!! although i havent managed to get quake or duke nukem to work yet but thats probably just my fault

YAY! I wonder how many people in the UK have GP2X's now?

Last edited by a moderator:
wohoo mines came today :D, its small I thought it would be bigger..anyhow im really happy, feels like a solid device, still waiting for my 2GD SD to arrive from golinuxshop, for now ill stick with vektar for eternity lol

Shikaku posted on Sep 21 2006 at 11:46 PM said:
BUY A CARD READER

You know, that's just the knee-jeerk reaction that gives this community a bad rep. Maybe he can't afford a card reader, after having plunked down a considerable amount of money on this new device, and is now desperate for help.

* Snickers *

... damn, I tried. Yeah .. get a card reader. USB is slooooooooooooow at best, even when it works.

Edited for horrible typos.

Which side of who's bed did you get kicked out of that morning Skikaku?

You are right TelcoLou, it is replies like Shikaku's that do give any forum a bad rep espeicially when its un-called for.

I might be a newb here but i'm no newb to forums and using a fecking search function.

I've been reading through these forums for the past few days while waiting for my GP2X. I was also quite happy with the fact i was going to have to wait until i get my card reader to use my GP2X. To my surprise on the A4 sheet of paper it says that any SD cards supplied by us will come formatted ready for use, is it my fault i take things at face value??

I said all this in my post in the other thread which you obviously didn't read properly before giving the crappy answer "BUY A CARD READER".

Thanks for your help TelcoLou

Shikaku is one of the most helpful guys on here! HIs Neogeo guide is essential!

lubidog posted on Sep 22 2006 at 12:06 PM said:

I second what has been said - the GP2X should work with USB2 and if not, why not?!
It's a retail item and quite frankly, I sold mine due to the fact that the battery life was crap, the machine just turns off with *NO* warning when the batteries are dead!. Having done extensive stints in the electronics manufacturing industry and repair workshops, this device is *OKAY* but it could be made to a *MUCH* higher quality!.

I'm 31 and have been making electronics devices since I was 7, so I don't think I am too shabby at my trade. I, like many others I am sure, was very disappointed/annoyed when first attempting a pc-to-GP2X connection via USB2, to find that I had to mess about with various USB tools etc etc ad infinitum. Yeah okay, I understand that this is a community project, but for goodness sake, a LOT of people just want to plug it in, load their games on, and get playing!

Can it be *THAT* hard?? cheapo £9.99 webcams can do it, as can many USB devices - come on guys, fix it for the sake of the greater good. Arrogant members *mentioning no names ;)* just "assuming" people wanna shell out more cash for an item which, quite honestly, should *NOT* be neccessary (also pulling and pushing an SD card to and from a card reader *WEARS OUT THE GOLD CONTACTS!!*) is just a poor effort in my opinion, and perhaps someone with software knowledge could code a windows/Linux/BSD/whatever solution that is easy for the amateur pc user to install and forget (transparent operation).

I would have to say that the GP2X is a great device, but it has a lot of bugs to be ironed out of it. Having cocky people whitewashing over the problems with "buy a card reader" etc etc, is not a good impression to myself. That is one of a few reasons why I sold mine, finding better investment in a laptop. Good job ACER/SONY etc don't sell their machines with such completely cack USB operation!.

A summary? a great idea but poorly implemented in many aspects - cobbled together in version 1 and rushed off the production line, as cheap as possible, to degrade the Gnu/Linux reputation in it's wake!. The build quality is *okay* but not fantastic by any means, and as for the battery dying without warning... WHAT GIVES!!?! I could design a simple OP-AMP voltage/current monitor for such a purpose as this, so why can't the "experts" at the factory?!. Answer? too much reliance on integrated IC "solution" chips that do it all for ya. Some discrete components knowledge, at the level taught by secondary schools, would fulfil this function perfectly!.

Im sure you guys know a lot more about software design than I *ever* will, but electronics is my area and I am telling you that this aspect is *VERY POOR INDEED*.

Finally, as for the fact that you cannot plug in an external PSU whilst the GP2X is running on batteries?! A simple rectifier diode type circuit would fix this in an instant - or combined with the type of leaf switch incorporated into 3.5mm headphone jack sockets (so the speakers mute when headphones inserted!) would fit the bill perfectly!.

Something like this is a snap to re-design - shame on you gamepark holdings!.

psu_mod.jpg

Regards, Matt.

The guy is helpful and clearly knows a lot but comes across as being arrogant and abrupt. Reasons unknown.

A small community like this wont grow if we appear to be abrupt and tired of simple queries from new owners.

drokkeh posted on Sep 22 2006 at 01:44 PM said:

The guy is helpful and clearly knows a lot but comes across as being arrogant and abrupt. Reasons unknown.

A small community like this wont grow if we appear to be abrupt and tired of simple queries from new owners.

Completely agree mate - arrogance from know-it-alls is the reason people drop off forums and get put off. If you know something, don't show off your male pride enhancing chants and spurs, just have some dignity and graciousness, and help members no matter how they treat you!.

I agree completely and implicitly - I am sure when *you* were the one asking the questions, and starting out learning, you appreciated the same kindness and help offered, that you find offence at others asking *from* you, now!. Pride comes before a fall, and just because you happen to know a lot about the subject of GP2X... ok, wow... great... life enhancing I am sure, but that does not mean yuou know everything about *everything* in life, and so I recommend adjusting the attitude accordingly, as one day the shoe *will* be on the other foot again, and when *you* require knowledge and advice in order to further your learning, you may find others acting as you act towards people on here, and then you will be the one voicing your discontent at the arrogance that ironically, YOU display, and as such you are well prepared to know what to watch out for when needing help!.

Helpful and kind people find great happiness and reward in patience and helpfulness, instead of groaning and sighing at, what appears to *you* to be "lame" questions.

Everyone has to learn sometime, and we all learn different things at different times at a different rate - just swallow your pride and know it all attitude, and remember that ONE day, this may be YOU, Shikaku!.

I never asked questions. I researched.

Thanks linuxlover, your experiance in electronics shows.

It's not a male testosterone thing. It' just annoying when people ask questions without even doing the basic reading. But in most cases where people get flamed, it's not on.

We have a lot of so-called experts on this board, who flame a lot. We could enhance the image by being a little more helpful. Don't flame unless a warning is given.

If someone asks a dumb question, answer them and explain how they would have found out themselves. Then flame then to the ground when they come back with another stupid question without taking your advice.

icurafu posted on Sep 22 2006 at 02:59 PM said:
I never asked questions. I researched.

Thanks linuxlover, your experiance in electronics shows.

It's not a male testosterone thing. It' just annoying when people ask questions without even doing the basic reading. But in most cases where people get flamed, it's not on.

We have a lot of so-called experts on this board, who flame a lot. We could enhance the image by being a little more helpful. Don't flame unless a warning is given.

If someone asks a dumb question, answer them and explain how they would have found out themselves. Then flame then to the ground when they come back with another stupid question without taking your advice.

I disagree on the flaming point - why flame?! Just politely state your point, and suggest an alternative. What we HAVE to remember, is that what works for one person, won't be the apprpriate solution for another person. If we help one another out, instead of getting all angry and tense, it's gonna make a MUCH better community, and people will learn more!. You will find that patience is rewarding, when teaching people new stuff - the thanks you may or may not receive, is your payoff for all the seemingly "pointless" questions. Yeah, maybe to YOU the questions are pointless, because *YOU* know the answer... do you think people would ask if they *KNEW*?!!.

If you can't help, then maybe politely and curteously suggest another member or point of reference to which they may be directed in order to help with the enquiry. Flaming is *NOT* the answer, and if someone repeatedly asks stupid questions, you could try *ignoring* them, but only after deciding carefully if, what they are asking *IS* stupid, and not a cry for help!.

I have flamed a few times, and all you get is flaming back at you, and childish arguments ensue - FORGET IT, just be as patient and kind as you are able to, and as your Mothers no doubt have taught you:

"If you cannot say something nice, DON'T say ANYTHING at ALL!!"

I wish you the best, all of you. :D

Did you even read my post?

I would hope so after responding to it in more words.

My point was NOT to flame first; to be helpful.

Why would anyone continue to help someone who doesn't learn? If they are like that, then they shouldn't really own a GP2X. They should be told in more explicit terms that their behaviour is not on, and taking advantage of gurus for the sake of convenience will not be returned with wonton enthusiasm.

EDIT: lol, by the way for example; this is the polite email before I flame. If say you made another lengthy post in response to mine without reading it, then I would have no choice but to flame you. It would be for your own good however, so don't be too concerned.

icurafu posted on Sep 22 2006 at 03:45 PM said:
Did you even read my post?

I would hope so after responding to it in more words.

My point was NOT to flame first; to be helpful.

Why would anyone continue to help someone who doesn't learn? If they are like that, then they shouldn't really own a GP2X. They should be told in more explicit terms that their behaviour is not on, and taking advantage of gurus for the sake of convenience will not be returned with wonton enthusiasm.

I'm sorry you have misunderstood me :).

Noone can force someone else to learn in the way that they have learnt - we all have a learning curve and sometimes it needs a little nudge to get going. If they ask you dumb questions, maybe the questions AREN'T dumb to them - they need help, as we all do, and we ALL ask dumb questions because, in the area in which we are trying to gain knowledge, we ARE dumb, in that sense!.

Be patient, and only when people ask pointless questions like "how do i spell Linux" would I suggest a little sarcasm, not out and out FLAME WARS!. The reason that you should continue to help people, is that they don't IMMEDIATELY learn, in the way *AND* timespan which OTHERS deem appropriate - have some understanding of the fact that *ALL* humans are different, and patience, humbleness and graciousness are character attributes which will reap you back ten-fold, of the time you give people, yeah, maybe answering "dumb" questions repeatedly, but you will reap the benefits of happiness in helping someone to gain knowledge, which THEY can then build upon (and help YOU in the future! ;)) and the thanks you will receive is the best gift on earth!.

Just have some thinking time before you answer and offend people (this is directed at all of us) TRY to be understanding, because we ain't ALL "gurus" and someone simply asking for help, could be put off for life - and why should that be *THEIR* fault??.

I'm just suggesting a little tact and responsibility for the reputation of the geek community that is all. Do what you like - personally these are just suggestions, but I *KNOW* that manners and patience ALWAYS pay off, even when it appears you are at a dead end!.

:D Regards.

### EDITED - I hardly think that a stranger is the appropriate person to be advising me what is, and is not for my "own good" but thanks ok. ###

All this started because of my post but i still don't see where i asked a stupid question?? As i already mentioned it said on the Welcome note i got with my GP2X and i quote "Do NOT put an unformatted SD card into the GP2X - if you got your SD card from us its already formatted so don't worry."

GileraGFR said:
Just got my GP2X today with the RiData 4GB card :-D

I haven't got my card reader through yet sad.gif i thought i could still have a play with it though as it says the card is already formatted on the A4 sheet i got with the package.

I can't get my PC to see that anything is connected though sad.gif

Do i need to make sure that the card is formatted with a card reader for my PC to see the GP2X at all, or is it something else? I've un-plugged all USB devices i can (not keyboard & mouse) and re-booted but alas my PC doesn't even recognise that anything is connected.

Just got mine .. took out my SD card put it in my laptop dragged som MP3's onto it and played them. I am now looking at the USB interface to get it set up. I think I am almost ready to write some code ....

Got mine yesterday..
first impressions were not good ;(
found it flimsy and the screen looked cheap when viewing the menu..as for batteries..I slammed some old ones lieing about in and the screen just cracked up in about 30 seconds..bought some zinc batterys (I know;)),and they lasted less than a minute from new!!
I was really ready to send it back!!
looked at the payback demo and was NOT impressed,picture was bad and frames were being dropped. but Vector,I loved instantly..screen looked good..my thoughts were changing.
I had no SD card so I could do nothing with it but sweat it out till morning.
recharged some hi power camera batteries and was then getting a decent play time on it (two hours+ as opposed to ten minutes)
also tried my old universal power supply on it but no dice,still got rainbow screen.
come morning I bought a 512mb SD card and loaded up with sega,mame,etc..and buy a decent power unit that could do the job (took the GP2x to shop to check)..
now??
I LOVE it!! I have not switched my PSP on since!
I love the PSP for movies,games but I will not mess with Devhook and the like..thats why i got the GP2x.
and it does a fantastic job. Ok,some things will not run,but its early days.Ghosts and goblins looks great and runs a treat.
video playback can be iffy,and it certainly will NOT run anything you throw at it as the ad in Retro Gamer claimed.;(

So,I'm officially hooked!! it can ONLY get better and better
cheers!!

Back