I Just Got My Gp2x!!!

I've had my "275Mhz" GP2X version for about a week now. I have to say it's sweet! It's a much better experience then the GP32, IMO.

I sold off the GP32's (I owned three different versions) because most of the emulators were very poor, and abandoned by the authors after version 0.01. The emulators on the GP2X are already as good as the best GP32 emulators, and even the "poor" emulators are to a point of being functional enough to be fun to use. It's also nice to see the GPL license insuring we see some source code, so others can carry on when the current maintainer gets tired of working on an emu. And having a linux core rocks!

I glad GPH stuck with AA rechargeables. I carry around a couple of spare sets and I can play all day if I want. Regarding batteries; pick up some quality made in Japan Powerex 2700mAh NiMH's and you will be very happy. These have very low internal resistance, and will hold their voltage until the very end (like 1-2 minutes of run-time left.)

Transcend 150x 4GB SD cards work great (TS4GSD150).

I think I got taken by a counterfeit SD card-- a Transcend 4GB SD card (TS4GSDC) from Digi4me.com. The card takes over 2 hours to write a little over 2 GB of data to the card, then the data is corrupt anyway. I'm guessing it's really a 2GB card marked as 4GB. I'm still working on how to get the problem fixed, either through Digi4me.com or Transcend. Then I'll have two 4 GB cards to play with :)

Hi, first post - I just recieved my 275mhz GP2x.

Do they always send out a DVD of emulators/software/games? I've spent the last week (waiting for delivery) downloading almost exactly the stuff thats on it ! :rolleyes:

Oh well, thanks gp2x.co.uk

One slight problem though - I cheaped out (After buying the gp2x+ accessories) and bought a 2gb sd card from play.com. I've had a bit of trouble formatting it, no computer seems to want to read it. The only solution I could find was using a camera, which formatted it FAT16, and it now appears as a USB drive called 'Kodak' when I mount it onto OSX. Will FAT16 cause me any problems? I'm not going to have any files that exceed the max file size (2GB iirc?), but will it affect performance.

So far I've run divx videos, music, mega drive and snes games without any speed issues. Is this something I should go to the trouble of trying to sort or just live with it?

Try using a card reader -- highly recommended anyway, it's much faster to transfer files.

I was using the card reader built into a wintel laptop as well as a card reader in a PC - but neither would allow me to format it. They detected a card, but said 'unable to format this drive'.

I ordered one of the (famous?) $3 readers mentioned in another thread, so I'll try that when it arrives.

Last edited by a moderator:
:D My GP2X arrived a couple of days ago, very happy with it so far & i have yet to get an SD card for it, as i bought a Sandisk 4GB SDHC card with a free card reader and found that the GP2x does not yet support the SDHC format, oh well, at least some of you may not make the same mistake i did.

I was almost orgasmic when megabomber man played at full speed on picodrive WITH sound Yaaaaayyyyyyy :D :p :)

Background:- Started on zx81s wrote some games for ZXspectrum (nothing special) then became a drunken yobby motorcyclist for a few years, grew up, started courting, married, had kid, set up own business, had to use pcs so got into the pc scene, got latest graphics cards etc .... ended up spending most of my time playing emulators :D soooooooooo the gp2x is the next logical step.... I think? ( i try not thinking too much as it hurts though) :rolleyes:

Hello everyone.

Yeah, what's funny about the SDHC cards is that they were introduced to "prevent confusion". LoL! It seems they actually accomplish the opposite.

My GP2x arrived from Play-Asia this morning - having a frustrating time (but fun) time so far. Had to nick a SD card out of my camera. The 2MB card I bought with the GP2x (Kingmax) wont work in the console, my laptop or the camera! Have to get a card reader and try it in that before I send the card back to Hong Kong!

Off to have another game of Final Fight on Mame :D

Toma

LordFu posted on Dec 3 2006 at 04:10 PM said:
Yeah at what's funny about the SDHC cards is that they were introduced to "prevent confusion". LoL! It seems they actually accomplish the opposite.

What kind of confusion was there in the SD card market before SDHC's? It's just a flash memory card...

Well, I've had mine for sometime now(About two months maybe?), but I've never posted here so just thought I would.

*post*

There ya go :D

P.S. Having a great time with this thing, I def. have no regrets!

Ordered mine last night :D - can`t wait to play the classics. The open source factor played a huge part in buying it.

Yay, mine came in today, funny thing is its not the package i was expecting today (that seems to have not got here, it has my sd card in it, but i have an old 32 meg card that i'm using for a bit of testing).

The thing clocks up to 285 so i'm pretty happy with that aspect, though i think the slowness of the card, and the amount of size is putting a serious damper on the thing, tis locking up periodically on game loads.

Toma69 posted on Dec 4 2006 at 08:18 PM said:
My GP2x arrived from Play-Asia this morning - having a frustrating time (but fun) time so far. Had to nick a SD card out of my camera. The 2MB card I bought with the GP2x (Kingmax) wont work in the console, my laptop or the camera! Have to get a card reader and try it in that before I send the card back to Hong Kong!

Off to have another game of Final Fight on Mame :D

Toma

Hey Toma69,

I live in the UK and have ordered mine from Play-Asia too. I am expecting it early next week. I was just wondering how yours was shipped and whether you got stung for Import tax?

Hi all.

Ordered mine on Wednesday through gp2x.co.uk - got an email saying there is a 2-5 day delay in shipping the unit, which seems reasonable enough to me - I just hope it gets here before christmas!

Quick question though - has anybody had any success with the ScummVM emulator?

I got my gp2x yesterday and went and bought two two gigabyte cards as well. The sad thing is that I think my 3$ Led shoppe card reader is broken, after writing the first card full of goodness I tried starting to write to the other one. It however started telling me that its read-only! This happens with both cards now. After several hours of working with this I couldn't solve it, so I ordered an another one of the readers. Luckily before this happened I had time to transfer loads of megadrive games and pc-engine ones. (and atari st games, but I'd named tos wrong so it refuses to start)

It's about time I got myself a gp2x, I've been lurking here for ages, and I also had a gp32 for awhile, before I forgot it on a beach in france :(

klikklak posted on Dec 8 2006 at 11:09 AM said:
I got my gp2x yesterday and went and bought two two gigabyte cards as well. The sad thing is that I think my 3$ Led shoppe card reader is broken, after writing the first card full of goodness I tried starting to write to the other one. It however started telling me that its read-only! This happens with both cards now. After several hours of working with this I couldn't solve it, so I ordered an another one of the readers. Luckily before this happened I had time to transfer loads of megadrive games and pc-engine ones. (and atari st games, but I'd named tos wrong so it refuses to start)

It's about time I got myself a gp2x, I've been lurking here for ages, and I also had a gp32 for awhile, before I forgot it on a beach in france :(

That's an SD card problem, the tab might not work right.

Thecko posted on Dec 8 2006 at 02:04 PM said:
Quick question though - has anybody had any success with the ScummVM emulator?

Yep, ScummVM is fantastic on GP2X.

I got my GP2X MKII console today :D Its much better than my old GP2X MKI console. And I am really enjoying It so much and also the joystick Is more better now like my old one my thumb keeps sliping but not my MKII one. I am going to sell my old one on ebay.co.uk sometime soon.

Shikaku posted on Dec 8 2006 at 01:30 PM said:
klikklak posted on Dec 8 2006 at 11:09 AM said:

That's an SD card problem, the tab might not work right.
I had the same problem at one point. Turns out that I accidentally flipped the tab while loading the SD into the reader. :rolleyes:

Back