I Just Got My Gp2x!!!

WOOHOO!

Mine just got here. Ordered sunday from play-asia, emailed monday (didn't understand their shipping policy), they replied quickly and shipped tuesday, 2 days later its on my doorstep. From Asia to the US that fast. If I did understand how they shipped, it probably would've been here wednesday. Some of our domestic companies (i.e. where I ordered my SD card from which still isn't here) could learn from them.

Anyway, time to celebrate. Just wish I had an SD card. :(

No matter, just use the USB mode. Go to settings > usb, plug supplied cable in computer, plug it in the 2X, and voila you have 60 odd megabytes to play with untill the roomy SD card arrives. :)

- Alex

subcon959 posted on Aug 31 2006 at 03:39 PM said:
Alex. posted on Aug 31 2006 at 04:15 PM said:
No matter, just use the USB mode
If it works :p
Uh... well... about that... :rolleyes:

I plug it in (on windows xp) and have it under usb NAND memory, and windows says it detects it but doesn't recognize it and it has "malfunctioned". It does not come up as external storage or anything in explorer.

I'm gonna try to get it to work, but if I can't, there's always the preloaded demo of vektar to play while I'm waiting for my card. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
It's an increasingly common problem, do a quick search of the forums and you'll see what I mean. In some cases a different usb cable works but it's not a sure thing.

A workmate walked into the IT room with a copy of "Stuff" magazine and jumped (literally) with joy at the sight of a two page ad. I noticed the woman in a red dress where he was actually interested in the small black thing in her hand. Turns out it was a GP2X. Never heard of it.

After a bit of an intro from him I spent the next couple hours of Friday looking up pages on the net. I grew up with the Commodore 64, Spectrum, Oric Atmos, Dragon, Amiga, Amstrad, BBC etc. and the more I found out about it the more I wanted one. Managed to leave 30 mins early to pick my girlfriend up from work.

Got home, showed her a couple videos from "youtube" and managed to persuade her that having one of these GP2X home brews was more important than eating until next pay day.

Now I can proudly say the order has been placed with 24 hour delivery.

Christmas will be coming early... :D

Hello all,

Finally got my GP2X this morning after an awful lot of "should I/should'nt I" deliberations with myself, but have to say, overall, I'm glad I got it. I bought from PlayAsia in the end, mainly because I was ordering some bits and pieces from them anyway and it seemed easier to get everything from the same place rather than wait for 2 parcels. To be honest, I think I would rather have bought from a UK source (in case it needs to be returned :rolleyes: ), but the service I got from PlayAsia was, as always, excellent. And just in case anybodies wondering about the import duties, then yes, I got charged and you probably will too, so if you're thinking about a cheapie from HK then, in all honesty, its probably not worth it as you pay virtually the same in the end anyway (but PlayAsia do you give you freebie sweets :p ).

So, first impressions then: great looking unit, very solid, little bit concerned about the lack of documentation/drivers, etc, but then I see the GP2X as a completely 'open' unit, or a blank slate for you to do with as you please so this wasn't a particular surprise. I did, however, think I may have got a duffer when I tried to connect to my PC to get properly started. I got the 'Unrecognised USB device/malfunctioning USB' message when I tried to connect, but after reading various posts on here it seems I am not alone. It seems the common answer seems to be a dodgy USB cable, but if the PC knows its connected, then its odd to think that a new cable will solve the problem. Logically, if the cable was at fault then the PC would'nt realise a connection was present ???

Anyway, I havent got a card reader (as such) so I thought I may be a bit stuffed, so after a bit of creative thinking I decided to use the card input on my printer. Bearing in mind its incredibly slow to read photos and very unreliable, I did'nt really expect much, but amazingly it worked a treat and this is now my preferred method of writing to the SD card, unconventional possibly, but hey, it works for now so thats good enough for me.

I have to give massive kudos to 'Reesy'. His Megadrive emu is, quite frankly, astounding. It was the first thing I loaded, and I have to say its very user friendly, seems very stable, all the games I tried worked, and, well, I love it. My experience with emulation is very patchy to say the least, so to find something this simple is an absolute joy, so if you happen to be reading this Reesy, then thanks again.

So, a bit of a long post to just say 'hello', but there you go. It probably wont be my last post so expect to see me asking stupid questions in the tech help area, but go easy on me, please !

Bye for now,

Rob.

I had about £20 added to mine, basically you pay the VAT and a small customs charge to Royal Mail. As other people have pointed out though, if you're worried about the extra charges then buy from the UK. It eventually works out at about the same cost. The only slight benefit of buying from HK is the accessories work out cheaper, so why not buy the console from the UK, and anything else from Asia as you should'nt get charged extra that way.

Hope this helps,

Rob.

Mine arrived this morning but couldn't touch it until I got home from work.

Awesome.

Had the usual USB problem so I used the one from my digital camera and it works a treat. Am going to try my camera with the GP2X lead and see what happens.

First thing I loaded onto it was the Commodore 64 emulator, downloaded a few games and I was away reliving those moments again.

Next was the DrMD with a few SMS, MD and GG games.

Now just got to buy an SD card as NAND doesn't hold what I'd like to have on it.

I ordered mine from Lik-Sang last week with the TV out cable and now its on its way to my home ;-).

See the information from Canada Post Office ;-)

Date of Event Time of Event Location Description Retail Location Signatory Name
2006/09/06 13:17 MISSISSAUGA, ON Item accepted and entered into sortation plant
2006/09/06 10:39 Item was released from Customs and is now with Canada Post for sortation
2006/09/05 20:35 MISSISSAUGA, ON International item has been sent to Canadian Customs for processing

So if I am lucky it should be home by friday if not early next week it should be here yahoo!!!

Yahoooooooooooooo the time as come!!!

When I check this morning I finally saw the pleasant message saying it is in my city and out for delivery. And usually the mail man pass around 15h... well guess what it pass at around 14h and I am now officialy part of the family ;-). Yup the GP2X still hot fresh in the box from the post office that is coming out of Lik-Sang ;-) (I want to take picture of the official opening ceremony hehehe). And paid 9.39$ of border taxes which aint bad, tough it was funny the poor mail man didnt have enough change for my $10 bill so I had to take coins from my piggy bank hahahaha!

Date of Event Time of Event Location Description Retail Location Signatory Name
2006/09/08 08:58 ST-HUBERT, QC Item out for delivery
2006/09/06 13:17 MISSISSAUGA, ON Item accepted and entered into sortation plant
2006/09/06 10:39 Item was released from Customs and is now with Canada Post for sortation
2006/09/05 20:35 MISSISSAUGA, ON International item has been sent to Canadian Customs for processing

Just notice something while opening the package they are no more screen protector included or batteries. I think the screen protector aint there since it is now pre installed by default but those 2 silly 2AA alkaline batteries arent in the package. Is this something that has been changed in recent packaging? Mine is the MK2 received from Lik-Sang.

Thanks.

They stopped including alkalines because it caused too much confusion, since they only lasted 15 minutes, people would think their unit was defective.

Ah ok ;-)

That make sensce, didnt care too much about the alkaline either since I already have a bunch of rechargeable like the energeizer 2500mah, but I could have put the poor little alkaline in some lower powered stuff like flashlight or thing like that ;-).

I have just clicked my purchase :D :D :D

Ordered from the UK site, can't wait!

It makes working so much worth it :p

Back