I Just Got My Gp2x!!!

Lister2020 posted on Aug 1 2006 at 10:51 PM said:
What? I didnt even get batteries with it, I used my own. And as I said, no boot up sound, the screen also looks like a rainbow now.

I've only had a GP2X for less than a day so take this advice with a pinch of salt, but I read the rainbow effect can be caused by insufficient power. Try a brand new set of 2600+ batteries or a suitable ac adapter. I've been playing with mine on mains power all day :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Shikaku posted on Aug 1 2006 at 11:07 PM said:
BUY RECHARGABLE BATTERIES! Go to a store, and buy some energizer/duracell rechargable batteries with a charger!

Wow.. Ok.. Here goes again.

I DID NOT GET BATTERIES WITH IT, I USED MY OWN WHICH ARE RECHARGEABLE.]

It died during a game of sonic, and when I got it to start up again there is no boot up sound and the screen is fucked.

So we can safely establish that it is not the batteries.

muphicks posted on Aug 1 2006 at 11:09 PM said:
Lister2020 posted on Aug 1 2006 at 10:51 PM said:
What? I didnt even get batteries with it, I used my own. And as I said, no boot up sound, the screen also looks like a rainbow now.

I've only had a GP2X for less than a day so take this advice with a pinch of salt, but I read the rainbow effect can be caused by insufficient power. Try a brand new set of 2600+ batteries or a suitable ac adapter. I've been playing with mine on mains power all day :)

ok, so what the frick.

Brand new batteries, gay screen, fully charged 2300mah batteries, gay screen, previous batteries which have been on charge for 20 mins, IT BOOTED!!!!!

My batteries were only at medium when the system crashed though. I remember reading about being able to get a utility which actively warns me when batteries are low or it automatically did a safe shutdown, is this true?

Lister2020 posted on Aug 1 2006 at 04:16 PM said:
My batteries were only at medium when the system crashed though. I remember reading about being able to get a utility which actively warns me when batteries are low or it automatically did a safe shutdown, is this true?
The current draw from the device is pretty high and it seems to be rather finicky about its voltage, you really won't be happy with it until you get some really good rechargeables, like the energizer 2500s. We're not making that up, many people have the same symptoms that you are describing and in almost all cases the answer seems to be the batteries.

There's no such thing as a "safe shutdown" really, you can just shut it off whenever you want.

Dzz posted on Aug 1 2006 at 11:22 PM said:
Lister2020 posted on Aug 1 2006 at 04:16 PM said:
The current draw from the device is pretty high and it seems to be rather finicky about its voltage, you really won't be happy with it until you get some really good rechargeables, like the energizer 2500s. We're not making that up, many people have the same symptoms that you are describing and in almost all cases the answer seems to be the batteries.

There's no such thing as a "safe shutdown" really, you can just shut it off whenever you want.

Ive got 2300MAH batteries from the panasonic shop, have served me well in the past.

If it is still ok then THANK JEBUS.

You wanna recommend me some specific batteries then? I def read about An update or homebrew software that underclocked the system when it is idle and down to the minimum needed when playing vids that sort of thing.

Really, I had a shit attack. shouldn't this issue be addressed?

Dzz posted on Aug 2 2006 at 08:22 AM said:

I like to play until its out of sufficient power, the screen flickers then eventually dies, then the speakers start making funny sounds. This pleases me.

AcidiC posted on Aug 2 2006 at 04:52 AM said:
Dzz posted on Aug 2 2006 at 08:22 AM said:

I like to play until its out of sufficient power, the screen flickers then eventually dies, then the speakers start making funny sounds. This pleases me.

And freaks the fuck out of anyone who doesn't understand what is going on ;)

I'm seriously considering getting a GP2X (or should I say having my wife buy it for me) for an upcoming anniversary. So which accessories are a must-have? I gather the carrying case, AC adapter, good rechargeables and a 4GB SD card. Anything else?

Chahk posted on Aug 2 2006 at 02:49 PM said:
I'm seriously considering getting a GP2X (or should I say having my wife buy it for me) for an upcoming anniversary. So which accessories are a must-have? I gather the carrying case, AC adapter, good rechargeables and a 4GB SD card. Anything else?

Consider getting the TV out cable...its only $10 U.S. You may need a male to male Svideo to rca adapter (under 5.00 online)if your set is not already Svideo capable, but it really lends alot of functionality. Being able to watch video or play Sega megadrive/genesis wherever I go was a big perk for me when I got my unit. I queued up Mame over at a buddys house on his 32" wega and he freaked....big wow factor! You Probably already have a 6-12 foot Rca Cable hanging around but it you dont get one of these as well...you wont regret it.

Oh, and you definately wont regret getting that 4 gb card! Theres already so much great stuff to go on it and with the August Competitions coming up, lots of great homebrew games coming as well :D !

Cheers!

Be careful with the 4-gigger, though. A lot of people are having trouble with theirs due to improper use. I don't really pay attention to what is actual "proper" use, however, since I prefer four 1gigs rather than one 4gig.

hi i just heard about the gp2x and was wondering if, if i get it, i could put pc games on it like

1. duke nukem : manhatten project -234mb
2. medal of honor allied assault -1.20gb
3. empire earth -354mb
4. c&c tiberian sun -168mb
5. the sims original -232mb

im askin cause ppl are usually talkin about console games on there 2x and not usually talkin about pc.

sry if i have the whole concept of the 2x wrong or sumthin

cizin456 posted on Aug 4 2006 at 10:07 PM said:
hi i just heard about the gp2x and was wondering if, if i get it, i could put pc games on it like

1. duke nukem : manhatten project -234mb
2. medal of honor allied assault -1.20gb
3. empire earth -354mb
4. c&c tiberian sun -168mb
5. the sims original -232mb

im askin cause ppl are usually talkin about console games on there 2x and not usually talkin about pc.

sry if i have the whole concept of the 2x wrong or sumthin
You hear people talking about console games because there are special programs called "emulators" that make those games run on the gp2x. If there was a PC emulator then you could run those PC games. Unfortunately there is not a good PC emulator for the gp2x.

Some PC games have been ported or re-implemented specially for the gp2x. For example, there is a version of Duke Nukem. There are not many such games but those that exist are said to be good. You usually need the original data files from the commercial game to play them. None of the other games you mention have versions for the gp2x, and they are not very likely to in the near future.

Dzz posted on Aug 1 2006 at 05:22 PM said:
...won't be happy with it until you get some really good rechargeables, like the energizer 2500s. We're not making that up, many people have the same symptoms that you are describing and in almost all cases the answer seems to be the batteries.

Yeah, the power situation with the GP2X is universal. Whether it's the no warning, fast drain, or weird boot up sometimes. I use some 2400 and 2600's and at first crash, i just replace the batteries even if it boots up again.

Here's a video of what it looks like when batteries drain on the gp2x:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwBu0LzVSNg

Hey, I just purchased mine off eBay! I think I got a real nice deal on it.

Can anyone tell from the pictures, if its the MK2 version, or the original?

And is the only difference between the MK2 and MK1 the thumbstick and screen? When I get it, will I know how to check for any differences? Here's the auction I won. Let me know if I got a good deal?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...69900%26fvi%3D1

xtravbx posted on Aug 5 2006 at 12:00 PM said:
Hey, I just purchased mine off eBay! I think I got a real nice deal on it.

Can anyone tell from the pictures, if its the MK2 version, or the original?

And is the only difference between the MK2 and MK1 the thumbstick and screen? When I get it, will I know how to check for any differences? Here's the auction I won. Let me know if I got a good deal?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...69900%26fvi%3D1

It is hard to tell, but it looks like the MK 1 by the thumb stick. The MK2 also has the latest filmware which is 2.0.0. There is no way to tell until you get it, if this person has flashed it with the newer filmware. Some like the MK1 and some like the MK 2. Either way, if you like retro gaming and fiddling with stuff to get things working, you'll love your new system.

hi everyone,

placed an order several days ago and still awaiting, hopefully not too much longer.

quick question: does anyone know if a game similar to Brain Age for the nintendo DS exists for the gp2x?

thanks.

porthose posted on Aug 6 2006 at 08:37 AM said:
quick question: does anyone know if a game similar to Brain Age for the nintendo DS exists for the gp2x?

Not that I can think of, but that would be a brilliant idea! Post it in the "Cool Ideas" forum, hopefully someone thinking of a new project will pick up on it.

Hi guys, I ordered my GP2X Thursday night from GP2X.co.uk, and I have yet to hear anything from them. Not even a confirmation email. I progressed through their ordering process and received a confirmation number, so I didn't screw up the ordering process, and I was just wondering if this was the standard way they do business. sent them an email Monday morning and no respones so far. Thanks in advance.

Hello, New user here. I ordered a second hand GP2X (MKII) on eBay and it arrived today. Everything all appears to be in order but unfortunately I won't get a good chance to try it out until the weekend as I have a Dissertation to write up. I had been looking at the GP2X for a while and procrasination and curiosity got the better of me. (By curiosity I mean, 'I wonder what that person's maximum bid price is,' turned out that biding above that will tend to cause you to win the auction.)

I hope to try my hand at a bit of homebrew, although nothing too ambitious, but we'll see.

I'm impressed so far, although my fiddling has been limited. But the few bits of emulation I have tried have gone smoothly enough.

I do need to get a new set of batteries though, as the ones I've got are only 1600mAh, which isn't really enough for long journies and the like. (I have a 6h train journey comming up a week Saturday)

I'm aslo interested in playing with USB host. I have an iRiver which will act as an excellent external HD which won't need an additional power source, but I'm not sure if that means I can just use the USB data pinouts on the EXT to wire directly to a female USB port. (Or even to an appropriate male one) But I'll find out.

I'll be lurking around here a bit for a month or so, but then hope to get involved.

im wondering.. what are the rivals to the gp2x other than the psp? i mean are there any handheld type things that are in the same price range that are similar to the gp2x?

cizin456 posted on Aug 9 2006 at 10:54 PM said:
im wondering.. what are the rivals to the gp2x other than the psp? i mean are there any handheld type things that are in the same price range that are similar to the gp2x?

There is no competition at all at what it does and what it supports at the same price range. This is why it is so successful ;)

Back