Here Is What Will Be Happening.

For those foaming at the mouth about not wanting to "get ripped off" with a "less than perfect product": Relax. That is the point of all this - To make sure that those who care a lot about finishing don't get a "less than perfect product". And to facilitate that those who care more about getting the machine already and less about colour gradients may actually get a machine they're happy with.

Me, I'm all on the side of function over form. As long as it works, physically and control-wise, I don't care much if it looks like a zebra. Bring it here!

(Not that I think I'm amongst the 500-ish first, but still)

second exodous said:
If the OP team made vids this good I don't think it will be that big of deal. I had to fix a few DSs (one case replacement and one right shoulder button replacement) and it seems intimidating but when you watch a videos like the one's I linked you should be fine.

I agree about frying electronics, I've never heard anyone doing it to a small device but I have friends that conduct electricity better than me and fry their home computers putting new cards in. I think SOC are a little more resilient to these people though.
I agree that some of us can do it, and that frying a small device is unlikely (though, remember, the populated boards are being stored specially to ensure they don't get a static charge, there is a post to the effect). But that's it, it's unlikely but not impossible; even if 5-10% screw up,that's a lot of units.

Also, we're not talking about replacing a screen or a component, we're talking about *complete* disassembly and reassembly. If the designers of the device can break something during assembly, then think of someone else doing both. My post was about caution, not certainty (about explaining some things others might not have yet thought about).

Some have suggested all 4000 be these then replace the case later, that is a very, very silly notion. The logistics of mass case replacements is staggering, not to mention if they did the entire run, most would want their replacement for free. Imagine the press on that, never mind the cost.

So my post was more about the people wanting the entire 4000 run, and somewhat about those jumping on the 500. Anyone jumping on the 500 who are not technical, and who plan on replacing the case, should ask themselves if they can accomplish it.

Mali's post covers the warranty/logistics side in further detail so I won't expound on that here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would be perfectly happy with a not so perfect case (especially since I can buy another one later)
Since I'm somewhere near 70 in line I will be waiting at my doorstep for my Pandora! :D

I will also send an email...

BackAssward said:
second exodous said:
If the OP team made vids this good I don't think it will be that big of deal. I had to fix a few DSs (one case replacement and one right shoulder button replacement) and it seems intimidating but when you watch a videos like the one's I linked you should be fine.

I agree about frying electronics, I've never heard anyone doing it to a small device but I have friends that conduct electricity better than me and fry their home computers putting new cards in. I think SOC are a little more resilient to these people though.
I agree that some of us can do it, and that frying a small device is unlikely (though, remember, the populated boards are being stored specially to ensure they don't get a static charge, there is a post to the effect). But that's it, it's unlikely but not impossible; even if 5-10% screw up,that's a lot of units.

Also, we're not talking about replacing a screen or a component, we're talking about *complete* disassembly and reassembly. If the designers of the device can break something during assembly, then think of someone else doing both. My post was about caution, not certainty (about explaining the things others might not have thought of). Some have suggested all 4000 be these then replace the case later, that is a very, very silly notion.

Mali's post covers the warranty/logistics side in further detail so I won't expound on that here.
Yeah, I agree, some people might mess it up. If the imperfections are just cosmetic I don't see many of the how many ever get this case replacing it anyway. I think if the end user gets it in their hands and it works then looks won't be that important. Look for the post of ED's I quoted, like his last on this thread, not even Nintendo gets it 'perfect' yet most people don't even notice.

On the case replacement on a NDS, it is a full disassembly/reassembly and it's one of the more difficult from what I understand and lots of people do it successfully. Those that I find on youtube that screwed up is just because they didn't plug in the ribbon cable into the MB far enough.

I like what Pleng said:

1 You can have a Pandora now. Imperfect case, but full warranty.
2 You can have a Pandora now, send it back later for replacement case (for a fee). Full warranty.
3 You can have a Pandora now, replace the case at your own risk. No warranty.
4 You can wait for a 'perfect' case. Full warranty.

I'll say it again, if its just cosmetic problems I don't think most users will mind anyway. The case is never going to be perfect, its time to bite the bullet and get them out there.

second exodous said:
I'll say it again, if its just cosmetic problems I don't think most users will mind anyway. The case is never going to be perfect, its time to bite the bullet and get them out there.
I agree, I just believe in an informed public. Also, I wanted those who ask for the entire 4000 run then a replacement later, to actually *think* about what they are saying. I imagine if they did an entire 4000 run, most people wanting replacements would want them for free. I guess it's probably the people at the end of the queue who are asking for that though.

99% of the people on this board want the Pandora as it is now. I also want mine asap and if I do not get one of those first 500 units, I am going to cancel my order as soon as I can grab a unit from Ebay. That is what I am going to do. I am not willing to put up with this farce any longer. A cheap Chinse company is a cheap Chinese company. What do you expect? A Mercedes?

I also want to add that the fact that Micheal and especially Craig are constantly and vocally putting down their own product makes me wonder wether they should seek medical and psychological treamtent. No sane businessman would talk his clients into believing that his products are inferior. People will find fault even with the best meal if the chef constantly hints that something has gone wrong in the kitchen. You are taking away the enjoyment of the Pandora from the people with your remarks.

I would say get all the cases or none of them. I don't see how the Chinese company will be willing to make corrections once they realize that current quality was acceptable enough for the client to order 500. Moreover from the information we getting it is unclear if this company is capable of making a case meeting MWestons standards at all. So in the worst case we will get the rest of the Pandoras with the same or almost same quality but later that we could (1 month+ per iteration).
Also releasing product with 14 month delay with obvious flaws will greatly affect public reception and in turn the commitment of the OP team in delivering the other 3500.

I have to say I agree with nootkey.
If you accept 500 cases the pressure will be off the factory and their attention will be diverted.
If a video/photos can show the real extent of the problem and we can be satisfied that it can only get better on a full production run then it must be worth viewing. However a part shipment is a bad move, I work for a electronics manufacturer and I have been involved with injection moulding in a former life. The output normally improves but if the mould is not tight then the edges will get worse not better. The quality of the pellet will make a big difference, can we get confirmation that low grade pellet were used.
We all made this possible, its all our money that is being spent. The first 500 will obviously be happy as they get and the rest don't, I paid on day one but have no idea where I am in the order. Please don't screw it for the rest if the case is poor in the way MWeston suggests.
Rant over......... :blink:

ok, this are 15 pages and i wont be willing to read em all on my PDA,
just please someone make a short version of whats happening? did the photos go into the net?
also i will say it again, people shouldnt make decision on a product based only on photos.
if possible i would expect craigX to do 10X hinge Test. and not to end up cracked like the last one did.

DroneB Dev said:
ok, this are 15 pages and i wont be willing to read em all on my PDA,
just please someone make a short version of whats happening? did the photos go into the net?
also i will say it again, people shouldnt make decision on a product based only on photos.
if possible i would expect craigX to do 10X hinge Test. and not to end up cracked like the last one did.

Not yet, waiting for a Weston production movie...

Personally, I certainly don't mind a non perfect finish. As others have said I doubt any product is totally without flaws. As long as the device is mechanically sound and works as it should, which I believe has been tested as thoroughly as possible, I will be more than happy.

Saying that, it may be irrelevant as I think I am around the 2000 mark on the pre-order list anyway, so I doubt I would receive one of the first run.

James

I'm still waiting for pics and a video to show what's wrong before I make a decision personally.
If I have to make a decision now though, I'd leave it up to the devs to choose for me. As far as I'm concerned they've made all the right decisions so far.

I'm sad to read these "news"

After 6 Months of working onto the Moulds I simply EXPECT a "perfect" case in the meaning of normal western Industry Standard like these Handhelds are made today. Even China doesn't live in the middle-Age anymore so they should be skilled enough to make it like the OP Team wants.
I am waiting for the Final Cases where MWeston says they are exactly how he expected it. I'm a late pre-orderer so I get my Pandora not when the first Units are shipped.
It can't be that hard to do, every cheap China-handheld has at least a good looking case so I really want to know what's going on into this Chinese Factory. :(
Like MWeston sayed, What did they have done the last 2 Months when the Cases look exactly like the old ones? Why do they ship this? Do they really think the "new" ones are "perfect" now? I really have trouble to see into the mind of the Cinese Workers there. ^^""

I just wanted to say that I think this is one of the best suggestions that the team has made in *months*! I am more than happy to accept one of these cases, and wouldn't have a problem replacing it down the road if it really bothers me. I am very excited to be getting one of these more unique cases, and I will choose to think of it as a case with a little more 'character' than the perfect ones. It will also come with an interesting story to tell those who look at it and notice its blemishes.

Thank you OP team! I wasn't expecting this sort of good news if the cases weren't perfect. :D

either keep it as it is now, or make it perfekt.

is what id like to say, but i really need my pandora soon, or ill kill myself from the loss of my gf (she broke up)
so i need it to get my mind of things.

Tripmonkey_uk said:
If I have to make a decision now though, I'd leave it up to the devs to choose for me. As far as I'm concerned they've made all the right decisions so far.

Yeaaa...

As much as I want my Pandora now, I'm a perfectionist and I believe in doing things right the first time, often to the point of driving my girlfriend nuts. I don't want to be bothered with replacing a case when they are corrected, so I would prefer to wait as long as it takes to get any flaws worked out of the case before my Pandora is shipped.

I simply hope that the flaws ion the case are due to them being samples...
In any case I would like my Pand ASAP and if better cases come later, I will probably order one if needed.

I too am waiting for the photos and video of what went wrong this time... :p

Back