Here Is What Will Be Happening.

Yea, I will be interested in hearing the differences between the 500 MP case and the rev 3 cases. Hopefully it will look better once they are using fresh plastic.

I'm hoping there's more that'll wait for "perfection" than have posted here...

If the Pandora team wants to send out cases with minor flaws to folks who want them, I'm all for that. I hope those of us who would rather bite the bullet and wait a little longer get what we've been waiting for, though. Call me picky, but I'd rather have the case I've been promised for a year and a half than get something rushed at the last minute (perhaps not the right wording) because the vocal forum members requested it.

I ordered within the first hour or two, so I'm fairly sure I'm in the fabled first 500 - how do you find that out, anyway? Isn't it just guessing? It would be a bummer getting pushed back because some folks can't handle the wait, but if that's what it takes, then I'll wait.

With that said, I understand there's a point at which the Pandora team has to quit. As others have wisely pointed out, you can only expect a certain level of quality considering the companies being used to produce the cases and the difficulties in language barriers. Perfection is a pretty high standard. ;) I just hope it's things I'll have to get a magnifying glass out for and not something as obvious as the finish. Take your time, OP team! We've waited years, we can probably wait a couple more weeks.

Granted, this post can be taken with a grain of salt until we see the photos.

I'm thinking I may want one of these "imperfect" cases, not out of a sense of impatience, but because I firmly believe that the level of perfection they're looking for is simply not possible, and they will spend forever trying to achieve it. What I'd like to say is that accepting these cases isn't giving up on them, nor giving in to impatience, it is accepting reality.
But I can't actually say that because we haven't seen them yet. The "smudges" and other such imperfections needed to be pointed out to me in the second revision, and even then I only noticed when I was actually trying to see them.

As someone who is using a duct taped e800 and EEE PC 701, I say bring the ugly as long as its functional and sturdy (no more duct tape plz :( )

Clean3d said:
I'm hoping there's more that'll wait for "perfection" than have posted here...
Don't worry, you are not alone. The patient people tend to be less vocal ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Clean3d said:
I'd rather have the case I've been promised for a year and a half
The case you were promised a year and a half ago was full of imperfections and seemed fully intended as more of a hobbyist kinda thing. Whatever case 3 looks like, it is already much better than what it was a year ago.
I'm starting to think, more and more, people don't actually want the Pandora they ordered; after a year of waiting they want some mythical Pandora that is simply better in ways even they can't explain.

WizardStan said:
Clean3d said:
The case you were promised a year and a half ago was full of imperfections and seemed fully intended as more of a hobbyist kinda thing. Whatever case 3 looks like, it is already much better than what it was a year ago.
I'm starting to think, more and more, people don't actually want the Pandora they ordered; after a year of waiting they want some mythical Pandora that is simply better in ways even they can't explain.
That depends who you mean by 'people'. While I'm sure I'll appreciate all the polished corners, what I really want is just to get my Pandora soon, whatever compromises that means accepting! TBH, slight colour variations and not-quite straight holes around the ports won't bother me at all.

I'm reserving judgement until I've seen what the actual imperfections look like.

I've spent the morning looking around the house at all of the various electronics I have and I can find an imperfection of some kind in almost every one... especially the portable stuff. That's 2 GBAs, 3 DSLs, 1 DSi, 2 PSPs, the Dell laptop I'm writing this on... I can even find imperfections on the Wii and X360.

I'm thinking that absolute perfection just isn't possible. Send me what ya' got.

igboo

Edit: typos

The case should comply to common standards, that equals perfection in my understanding. Checking the alignment of molecules with an electron microscope would be unrealistic perfectionism. Cooling marks and dents on the visible surface are below standard, thus not perfect.

Pefection is not an appropriate term, at all. Common standard is a better term.

mali said:
The case should comply to common standards, that equals perfection in my understanding. Checking the alignment of molecules with an electron microscope would be unrealistic. Cooling marks and dents on the visible surface are below standard, thus not perfect.
I just want to point out that you have a lot of faith in a Chinese mold factory that has continually screwed up and from the news we have gotten so far has failed to fix the few imperfections from their last try.

mali said:
Cooling marks and dents on the visible surface are below standard, thus not perfect.

Every handheld system I have has small cooling marks or indentions. It happens and can't be helped unfortunately.

If everything functions as it should, with these first "flawed" cases, then I'm willing to accept one. I'm no where close to the first 500 orders, but if the option gets back to my order, then send it along.

second exodous said:
I just want to point out that you have a lot of faith in a Chinese mold factory that has continually screwed up and from the news we have gotten so far has failed to fix the few imperfections from their last try.
I don't care about Chinese factories, tbh. I have no comparisons, cause no other project has been that open to actually reveal how long it takes, so it might be common, I don't know. Any decision the OP Team makes now, will have an impact on the project so it should be made with foresight. I guess that they are burnt out by the stress by now, but they should stay calm and wise and they shouldn't rush a decision.

jonjandran said:
Every handheld system I have has small cooling marks or indentions. It happens and can't be helped unfortunately.
Those comply with common standards then and are acceptable.
The intensity of those things is what counts. When Michael has made pics and/or vids, we should be able to see if it's acceptable or not. From the sounds of it, the cases are sub-standard and thus not for me. As I'm second batcher anyway, I don't care. I don't think all 4000 should be made sub-standard, that's all.

WizardStan said:
Clean3d said:

+1

mine is going to get scratched from intensive use.
I need something that works, a functional PC that fits in your pocket for tech calls: wifi, internet browsing, ssh, vnc, open office, USB, ethernet (usb dongle).
and the occasional gaming as an added bonus.

A perfect case in 1+ year or a tiny working PC I can use in 1 or 2 months, I'll take the aesthetically imperfect case.

mali said:
second exodous said:
I don't care about Chinese factories, tbh. I have no comparisons, cause no other project has been that open to actually reveal how long it takes, so it might be common, I don't know. Any decision the OP Team makes now, will have an impact on the project so it should be made with foresight. I guess that they are burnt out by the stress by now, but they should stay calm and wise and they shouldn't rush a decision.
It's not rushed. They have been dealing with this company for this long and know what to expect. The only way to get better than this is to pull out of this company and go somewhere else. If that happens add another 2 years on to the wait. I'm looking at my DS right now and it's not perfect, nothing in this life is perfect.

I'll say it again, we're dealing with a niche product that has a small run from a company that is making their first product on a budget, it will not be perfect. If it functions that is enough. The last case I had to look closely at the pics to even see what they were talking about. And I'll say that I have found imperfections on both my GBA SP and my NDSL, two products made by the biggest company making gaming handhelds today.

Be realistic, the case for the Pandora will never be perfect, if this revision has a few flaws like the last I say go for it and get them out the door.

mali said:
The case should comply to common standards, that equals perfection in my understanding. Checking the alignment of molecules with an electron microscope would be unrealistic perfectionism. Cooling marks and dents on the visible surface are below standard, thus not perfect.

Pefection is not an appropriate term, at all. Common standard is a better term.
+1
The only reason the word perfect is mentioned in the context it is, is due to the fact that's the words OP used.
Nobody is expecting "perfection".
But for the case to have certain problems doesn't mean people are being too fussy, if OP aren't happy and so they are willing to wait for the revised case. Let's hope it was bad communication with the factory again. OP expecting sample of final case with final finish etc, factory thinking its just a sample so ok to use recycled plastic etc (if that's the problem)
I'll wait for vids and pics.
I just think it's unfair to just to say people who choose to wait for what OP decide is ok and (perfect enough) to be seen as too fussy, crazies, etc.

mali said:
As I'm second batcher anyway, I don't care. I don't think all 4000 should be made sub-standard, that's all.
You mean to tell me your the most outspoken about waiting and you're not even in the first batch? Heck yeah it's easy for you to wait, you won't get yours for months no matter what. I'm in the freaking first batch and the last case was good enough for me. You shouldn't even get a say in the first batch.

EvilDragon said:
And as the case does work fine and we'll offer the good-looking replacements later, you should all be fine.
What will be price for case replacement? I'd like to take one non-final, as I need it really quickly. So I'd like to know how much more I must spent if I want perfect one later.

Back