Heavy Metal

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
I just received a few pictures you might be interested in... from a company which I will visit soon for another pre-production run, this time for plastic.

Fresh from FormAction in Greece.

Here you can see the backside of the Pyra case in steel. The steel plate in the upper left will be put onto the steel plate in the lower right and then the plastic will be injected into it.
It's always weird looking into steel plates like that, as the case is inverted :)

IMG_0369.JPG

Here's a closer look at one of the steel plates:
IMG_0375.JPG

And here is a part of the keyboard as well as a part of the lid backside:

IMG_0373.JPG

Closer look:

IMG_0374.JPG

Can you guess what this is?
This is one form which has multiple of the small parts in there (like the stylus):

IMG_0377.JPG

This here is a picture which shows part of the production process. Water-cooled :)

IMG_0378.JPG

Need some steel? This is the raw material:

IMG_0371.JPG

As you can see from the pictures, the forms are almost ready. My plan is to visit them sometimes between December 14th and December 19th to produce and tweak the case with the PCBs we got :)

Looks great. Progress is really visible the last few days. Exciting times ahead :)

"they cant stop us, let them try, for Heavy Metal whe will die".. (Manowar)

Looks great, i cant wait to see the results from this moulds..

Reactions: rSl
Thanks for the update!

What's the advantages of mold injected plastic case? Where are they used? Are they rare?

As you can see from the pictures, the forms are almost ready. My plan is to visit them sometimes between December 14th and December 19th to produce and tweak the case with the PCBs we got

Great stuff ED.

Do you have any idea at this stage as to what sort of plastic / finish you'll have an option of using, i.e. range of colours, matte or gloss finish etc.

Thanks for the update!

What's the advantages of mold injected plastic case? Where are they used? Are they rare?

Umm... mold injected plastic cases are used in any plastic devices you own. PCs, handhelds, smartphones, etc.

It's all injected mold plastic :)

Ok, though it was something special because you specified it many times. I guess it's because Pandora don't have one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, though it was something special because you specified it many times. I guess it's because Pandora don't have one.

The Pandora is Injected molded as well...

very nice pics! : )

Does anyone know which type of stainless steal is being used? A special type maybe, or is that irrelevant?

Last edited by a moderator:
Will this get some additional "special" surface polish? Looks a little bit rough on the pictures. Well, some "grain" may be not bad compared to a complete smooth surface. 

And now that the things getting serious, are there already options what plastic material is used? Not meant in colour but kind of plastic itself? I hope for better and stronger material than the britle one from thePandora, carbon fibre enhanced maybe?

Well, it's easier to post something if something visible happens :)

Hard to make newsposts how Nikolaus connected the next 300 traces ;)

I mean it's much more interesting now that you are in total control of this project as opposed to the Pandora days. :D

Will this get some additional "special" surface polish? Looks a little bit rough on the pictures. Well, some "grain" may be not bad compared to a complete smooth surface. 

And now that the things getting serious, are there already options what plastic material is used? Not meant in colour but kind of plastic itself? I hope for better and stronger material than the britle one from thePandora, carbon fibre enhanced maybe?

Yes, of course, polishing is the last step :)

And choosing the appropriate plastic is something I do when I'm there.

Usually plastics upon being molded are polished by mechanical abrasion, in special rolling or vibrating drums with abrasive material to get rid of all sharped edges and irregular surfaces. I guess in this case the level of finishing is determined by technical specification of the client or material limitations.

Back