Heavy Metal

Discussion in 'Pyra News' started by EvilDragon, Dec 4, 2015.

1. quartercast

quartercast Well-Known Member

I must say, after reading this thread I am now looking forward to a dark chocolate injection-moulded Pyra!

Loving the news updates BTW

2. Not_a_Nick

Not_a_Nick Still Fresh

I will totally make a donation for this

3. WizardStan

WizardStan Mega GP Mania

I have a 3D printer. I could totally make a silicone mould for chocolate.

FaeMinx likes this.
  4. rygD

rygD Nihilistic Mystic

Why are you talking about it instead of actually doing it?

Kevin Osuna and Inqui like this.
  5. WizardStan

WizardStan Mega GP Mania

Because I just remembered that my nozzle got clogged and I need to wait for a new one to arrive. :(

And because I'm a tightwad that didn't want to spend the extra $7 for shipping it's being delivered to my mother-in-law's house where I'll pick it up in a few weeks.

rygD likes this.
  6. Grench

Grench Forum Addict!

A Silicone mold for a solid Chocolate Pyra?  Great idea!

Bonus points if you use white chocolate for the nubs and shoulder buttons.  (Pour white chocolate into the proper points in the mold and let it set up, trim those properly and re-insert them into the mold, warm them to something less than melting so they re-form properly to their position, add the dark chocolate.)

rygD likes this.
  7. rygD

rygD Nihilistic Mystic

I totally understand.  If you do make candy Pyra's post some pics.  Maybe you could even do something like a raffle to rise some money for some of the production costs (and cover your candy Pyra costs?).

Bonus points if we can get ED to build a prototype in a candy case.  It would only be for pics, since I wouldn't want chocolate to melt due to the heat, possibly damaging the  prototype.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2015
    Kevin Osuna likes this.
  8. mclien

mclien Very Active Member

We just wait until the molds for the pyra case are worn out (a injection mold is good for about 10 000 IIRC). Than we can use the old mold to make chocolate cases in it.

(ok the first once *might* taste a bit like eating the kinder eggs including the plastic inside, but after 1000 pieces that should wear out :)

Klumpen and Silent-Hunter like this.
  9. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Administrator Staff Member

Nope, those 10000 is for a good aluminium mold, the steel ones can do 100,000 cases and more...

Inqui and levi like this.
  10. LEOXD

LEOXD Member

So, no special christmas chocolate edition next year?

11. mclien

Good for the cases, bad for the chocolate ;-)

Thanks for the correction, at least I remembered somthing correctly from what I learned 25 Years back...

But after the 100,000 plus we CAN use it for chocolate??

12. mclien

Why not?  :D

13. Klumpen

Klumpen Run away! Run away!

Sadly, I have no time or money for a Pyra or any other handheld device atm, but I'd be interested in the chocolate case if there's a dark/milk-free version of it.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2015
  14. fusion_power

fusion_power Advanced Member

Then wouldn't have been the cheaper alu molds good enough? I mean, for our niche, 10K Pyras are still a big bunch of units actualy.

15. Grench

Grench Forum Addict!

I have always thought of the Pandora as a public beta of a concept.  It proved it was possible to create, sell and support a community driven general usage palm sized clamshell ARM computer.  At this point it's successor, the Pyra, has a built in core of community support.  A whole lot of that 'quirky' feeling around whether or not XYZ software could be run has been worked out in the Pandora/Pyra's favor.  Results from the dev boards are showing that the Pyra has potential to be truly amazing  I suspect Pyra sales will happen faster - and maybe even exceed total Pandora sales inside of a year from when it goes on sale.  I think getting a mold capable of more than 10K cases was probably a well thought out decision.

As a side note - it will be an interesting social experiment to see what happens within this community if or when it's population increases by ten fold.  Ten times as many of us with a tendency for long nuanced postings - can you imagine the length of the keyboard threads with ten times as many opinions?  Ten times as many people porting and developing software?  Ten times as many people buying a unit only to find out later that it doesn't run Windows or Android as it's root OS?  Ten times as many people buying fake memory cards then thinking it's the device's fault they don't work?  It will be very interesting to watch this project and community grow and change over the next few years.

FaeMinx and ible like this.
  16. fusion_power

fusion_power Advanced Member

I don't want to! [​IMG]

Well, only the time will tell if the Pyra is an success. It depends more onto the Software at the end, than onto the Hardware I guess. Pyra should be more "accessible" than Pandora to gain a wider audience. The Emulation/Virtualization power of the Pyra will help there for sure (faster Emulators, DosBox, Wine/Qemu(?) maybe Android etc...)

17. ible

ible professional vim user

hopefully the keyboard will be so amazing no body will complain.

18. Wrath Of Khan

Wrath Of Khan Soul soother...

Trust me someone will always complain. It's Human nature. :)

19. levi

levi Still fresh, damnit!

FWIW, I never had massive problems with the Pandora's keyboard even.  I use a ~40 character password for my SSH sessions, and I think I've only ever mistyped that once in six months, using it on average twice a week - whereas I use a shorter password on my laptop, and I often mistype that on its keyboard.  The function-key-accessed symbols do take a lot of adaptation, and the number keys are in a stupid place, but other than that I've not had a problem.  They Pyra keyboard looks to fix both of those little issues for me, so it can only be even better than my Pandora is.

20. Bosbeetle

Bosbeetle Terminally lost

The pandora was the only handheld device I ever used to program on, and the code still is somewhere in my analysis tools. I guess there are handhelds where that wouldnt even be possible.