Gpfce 0.4

Got a quick little question for you notaz.

You said that...

Merged in most of code from 0.98.1x versions. Only ppu/rendering and sound emulation code left from 0.81 (which is less accurate but much faster).

Would you not be able to use the newer and more accurate version if you offloaded sound onto the 940 again like in picodrive, freeing up more cycles and giving the extra power maybe needed to use the more accurate code? Not that im complaining, im more than happy with this release, but i couldnt help wondering :D

Yorper said:
Would you not be able to use the newer and more accurate version if you offloaded sound onto the 940 again like in picodrive, freeing up more cycles and giving the extra power maybe needed to use the more accurate code? Not that im complaining, im more than happy with this release, but i couldnt help wondering :D
It could be done, but it would be pain to implement. The emulator wasn't written to run in multithreaded environment, so a lot of code would need to be replanned and rewritten. Also last time I checked sound was taking ~10-15% CPU, so there may be no benefit at all and a lot of effort would go wasted. Also I think the older sound implementation is accurate enough.

Oh and about your PM.. Yeah it's ok to upload the emu to the archive, or anywhere else.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, just tried it, VERY nice release, thanks a lot!

However, something seems to be wrong somehow.

Tried Super Mario Bros. 3 - and the scrolling stutters a bit.
It does this with 150 or 200 MHz, it does this with FS 0 and FS Auto.

It doesn't slow down with FS0, the sound is fine, the speed is fine, but the refresh of the screen doesn't always seem to be fine. Any ideas?

i get the same problem with smb3 i had this problem with older versions too

notaz said:
It could be done, but it would be pain to implement. The emulator wasn't written to run in multithreaded environment, so a lot of code would need to be replanned and rewritten. Also last time I checked sound was taking ~10-15% CPU, so there may be no benefit at all and a lot of effort would go wasted. Also I think the older sound implementation is accurate enough.

Oh and about your PM.. Yeah it's ok to upload the emu to the archive, or anywhere else.
Ok cool. I wasnt making a request for it, unless you want too. I think the emulation is amazing how it is and there is no point in wasting alot of time and effort for something that would be so small. I was just really curious. Obviously there are 1 or 2 small bugs to fix but im sure you'll have those fixed up in no time :)

And thanks about the upload thing, wasnt sure if you'd mind so i just thought i'd PM you and let you know. Save you going to do it later as i read you were super tired at point of release. Anyways thanks again for a great update :D

Great fun last night!

BUG REPORT:(?)

I seem to be having difficulty with 2-player USB support;

I can map all the buttons & directions for player one, but once I try to map player 2 buttons, it seems to "un-map" the player one buttons. The emu detects both gamepads (Logitech Precision) every time.

I'll have a try tonight using different USB ports on the BOB to see if that changes anything.

Thanks again for the greatest NES emulator EVER :D !!

TelcoLou said:
I can map all the buttons & directions for player one, but once I try to map player 2 buttons, it seems to "un-map" the player one buttons. The emu detects both gamepads (Logitech Precision) every time.
Hm, got another gamepad recently, will try to reproduce.
Edit: yeah, it's a stupid bug in configurator. The next version will have it fixed.

EvilDragon said:
It doesn't slow down with FS0, the sound is fine, the speed is fine, but the refresh of the screen doesn't always seem to be fine. Any ideas?
Is this also happening for other games? Maybe the ROM is hacked for some poorly supported mapper? If only SMB3, then I need the GoodNES name of the ROM so I know the exact version you are using.

brilliant Work Notaz, I've sold my psp now's a good time to get a gp2x.

After you've finished Gpfce, is it possible you could work on a pc engine/cd emulator to bring up to same quality as this and picodrive? that's the only system gp2x needs now

keep up the great work.

Somebody reported that the emu hung on exit. Well it happened once to me too, but I was unable to reproduce it again. So if someone finds a reproduceable way to hang it, let me know so I can fix it.

NO hangs for me at the exit at the moment.
And no the refresh problem on SMB3, maybe is a rom problem.

Thank you Notaz :)

Very, very, very. VERY nice indeed! An even better NES, now even with a lovely menu! No testing so far apart from starting it up an oogling the lack of ugly selector and general loveliness of menu, but that is, in itself, a great pleasure. Goodly!

notaz said:
Is this also happening for other games? Maybe the ROM is hacked for some poorly supported mapper? If only SMB3, then I need the GoodNES name of the ROM so I know the exact version you are using.

Tried with some roms:
Kirby, Mega Man 2, Super Mario Bros. 2, etc.
Happens with every rom.
It seems to skip one frame out of 25 or so.
Seems worse for me with NTSC roms than with PAL.
All roms were [!] versions from the GoodNES name.
It's hardly noticably, you mostly only realize it when a game is scrolling, since it's not as smooth as it should be.

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
notaz said:

Tried with some roms:
Kirby, Mega Man 2, Super Mario Bros. 2, etc.
Happens with every rom.
It seems to skip one frame out of 25 or so.
Seems worse for me with NTSC roms than with PAL.
All roms were [!] versions from the GoodNES name.
It's hardly noticably, you mostly only realize it when a game is scrolling, since it's not as smooth as it should be.

I assumed that one due to the scaling?

can everyone please put rom reports onto http://checklist.berzerk.co.uk ?

Rubbish, you just copy and paste the code in the wiki and change the 3/4 values you need to :).

Great job notaz! Another suggestion, maybe you could add region detection? All my roms are named by GoodNES standards, "(U)" for NTSC and "(E)" for PAL. You could just have the emu change NTSC/PAL mode accordingly.

What's that garbage line at the bottom right corner? I tried the settings for first and last visible line etc, but it didn't do anything. BTW, that Castlevania 3 save game bug also happens in Double Dragon 2.

Tootai said:
Great job notaz! Another suggestion, maybe you could add region detection? All my roms are named by GoodNES standards, "(U)" for NTSC and "(E)" for PAL. You could just have the emu change NTSC/PAL mode accordingly.
This feature is already there. If the ROM has (E) in it's name, it uses PAL, else it switches to NTSC. Force region option must be set to OFF for this to work.

Tootai said:
What's that garbage line at the bottom right corner? I tried the settings for first and last visible line etc, but it didn't do anything.
This is not emulator's fault. See here and here.

Back