Gpfce 0.4

notaz said:
Yorper said:
Hey if you're going to update PD there any chance of adding a backdrop to the menu like you did gpfce? :D
No I don't plan to do that. Want them to be a bit different.

Well the background image could be different :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice work, though Mike Tyson's Punchout (PRG0) still has serious graphics glitches. Not sure if using another rom helps.

naples39 said:
Nice work, though Mike Tyson's Punchout (PRG0) still has serious graphics glitches. Not sure if using another rom helps.
Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! (E) (PRG0) [!] no problems here.

:)

Some thing I forgot to mention! Notaz, would you please let us save a ROM directory for the ROM browser to default to... it's a little inconvenient for us pampered ones to actually have to browse there once gpfce is launched... :lol:

PokeParadox said:
Some thing I forgot to mention! Notaz, would you please let us save a ROM directory for the ROM browser to default to... it's a little inconvenient for us pampered ones to actually have to browse there once gpfce is launched... :lol:
I was thinking of this also :)

BTW fantastic work on this emulator so far notaz, we are all spoiled by it.

naples39 said:
You probably have a misnamed PAL ROM and it is trying to run it as NTSC, hence the glitches.

PokeParadox said:
Well it should remember your last used ROM..

If you want to force it to some dir after it starts, you should:
1. save your ROM path in <where_you_have_gpfce>/fceultra/last_rom.txt
2. Add "-noautowrite 1" command line option to prevent gpfce overwriting it.

I tried both PRG0 and 1 but they're both garbled. The same ROMs used to work with the previous version.

notaz said:
fishybawb said:
sehs33 said:
Are there any games for Nes that support more than 2 players? I can't remember hearing of any.
Well they made the "Four Score" and "Satellite" 4 player adapters, so you'd hope so ;)

FCE Ultra supports a number of weird input devices, but I only bothered with gamepad support, doubt anyone would need the exotic ones.

Yod4z said:
is there an option to disable frame limiter?
Yes, but only through command line (-nothrottle 1). Used it a lot for benchmarking the code.

I'm kind of a purist, so I plan on getting a Four Score adapter and having it modified to USB. This way, you can plug in original NES controllers without having to modify them B) If it's no trouble to you, I wouldn't mind having this feature implemented :)

Also, the NES/Famicom Kunio Kun series of games is one my favorite! Check out the 4-player fighting game and the basketball games in this series. I've always wanted to play these 2 games with multiplayer.

Btw, thanks for FDS support!! A couple months ago, I couldn't have cared less, until I heard recently that the versions of Zelda and Metroid on this have better music and saves.

greenmikey said:
It seemed to save my directory after I exited back to the menu and didnt just shut it off.
Uh?

Jaguarandine said:
I'm kind of a purist, so I plan on getting a Four Score adapter and having it modified to USB. This way, you can plug in original NES controllers without having to modify them B) If it's no trouble to you, I wouldn't mind having this feature implemented :)
Well but I don't plan to get one and don't know how it works. If it makes the NES pads to appear as separate USB joys then it probably can be done.

notaz said:
greenmikey said:
It seemed to save my directory after I exited back to the menu and didnt just shut it off.
Uh?

He means that it saves the last rom used (and thus the rom dir) if one exits the emu properly. If Pokeparadox can't get the emu to start off in the same dir as it was last time, it is prolly because he's impatient and just turns the GP2X off, instead of exiting with the menu. Me guess :)

Erm, has anyone got a Game Genie code to work? I entered a few for Legacy of the Wizard, but none of them take effect ...

Moxie said:
He means that it saves the last rom used (and thus the rom dir) if one exits the emu properly. If Pokeparadox can't get the emu to start off in the same dir as it was last time, it is prolly because he's impatient and just turns the GP2X off, instead of exiting with the menu. Me guess :)
Could have just been impatience, I'll be honest and say that I have nt played on the NES emulator all that much since the update. I've been busy working on CromoZome and also I have been stood up all day today talking about our game, Atrox... So its very busy times :eek: With all that being said, thanks for that tip to save the directory, Notaz :)

Having never had a NES when they first came out, could people care to mention say a dozen or so "MUST PLAY" games (apart from the obvious/common Super Mario Bros, Metroid, Castevania, Gradius games)?

ie. Which games are the hidden gems?

slaanesh said:
Having never had a NES when they first came out, could people care to mention say a dozen or so "MUST PLAY" games (apart from the obvious/common Super Mario Bros, Metroid, Castevania, Gradius games)?

WOW, so many to choose .. off the top of my head:

Monopoly (IMHO, the best console version)
RC Pro Am (RCPA 2 isn't as good)
Metroid (Even better now with save states ;) )
Shadowgate, Deja Vu, Uninvited (Point & click adventure-type games)
Final Fantasy (gotta play the one that started it all)
Legacy of the Wizard (don't let it's cutesy gfx fool you, this game is HUGE!)

slaanesh said:

You haven't really played NES unless you've played Contra (use a translated J rom if you can, adds cutscenes and animated backgrounds on some levels). Always enjoyed Excitebike or even Balloon Fight for some quick, though shortlived fun. Rare also made a few real gems; RC Pro-Am, Cobra Triangle, Snake Rattle and Roll. The Ninja Gaiden series is pretty great too, even if time hasn't treated the once mindblowing cutscenes too well.

Other great games that I always enjoyed;
Tecmo Super Bowl
Paperboy
North & South
NES Open Golf
Jaws
Lifeforce
Bionic Commando
Baseball Stars or Little League Baseball
Castlevania games
Al Unser Turbo Racing
Blaster Master
Legend of Kage
Duck Tales
Punch-out
Double Dragon games (II is my fave)
Kid Icarus
Super Spike V'ball
River City Ransom

Ok, that should keep you busy for a while... ;)

TelcoLou said:
slaanesh said:

WOW, so many to choose .. off the top of my head:

Monopoly (IMHO, the best console version)
RC Pro Am (RCPA 2 isn't as good)
Metroid (Even better now with save states ;) )
Shadowgate, Deja Vu, Uninvited (Point & click adventure-type games)
Final Fantasy (gotta play the one that started it all)
Legacy of the Wizard (don't let it's cutesy gfx fool you, this game is HUGE!)

I agree with almost everything Lou wrote, but I don't know what LotW is. Also FF1 is great, but... gods below, does it ever suck on the NES. Play it on the GBA for pleasant ease of use, look at it on the NES for nostalgia.

That being said, I recommend Life Force, Ninja Gaiden, and Blaster Master. Check out this link, pretty good recommendations. Blades of Steel was fun multi-player action. My brother loved Tecmo Bowl, but I wasn't into it. :)

Edit: Good list from Naples39!

TelcoLou said:
Erm, has anyone got a Game Genie code to work? I entered a few for Legacy of the Wizard, but none of them take effect ...
Some types of cheats (which patch instructions/immediate values/PC relative values) will not work because of the way the asm cpu core works..

Back