Gngeo V0.7beta3

Incredible Pepone :)

At 200mhz with vsync off, 22 khz i get steady 60 all the time except in bosses in Metal Slug 1.If i turn on vsync I need to OC to the maximun (275) and i can get like 50 fps or so, with slowdowns here and there, but it is beautiful to play with vsync ON. :) Sometimes i need to restart emulator to get a game begins with sound.Rasters glitchesa re still there, anyway rasters slowdonsa lot emulation, but in some games like Supersidekicks saga i need to turn it on.In Neo Turf Master i can play very well without rasters, but i like the effect of the raster in the ground before you hit he ball.

Jycet, if i set autoreloadgui the gui is reloading but it launch Rage2x 0.9 not rage2x beta :D Maybe if i erase rage2x and let be rage2x_beta alone it will work.In a couple of hours i will try that, now i ran out of fuel :D

Thank you guys :)

you need to rename the rage2x_beta.gpe to rage2x.gpe
then it should be fine.

EDIT: I am an idiot! I put dump gfx to true for some reason... so yeah... it wasn't frozen at all, it was busy dumping gfx for no reason at all. Problem solved, runs for me now, too!

xnopasaranx said:
you need to rename the rage2x_beta.gpe to rage2x.gpe
then it should be fine.

EDIT: I am an idiot! I put dump gfx to true for some reason... so yeah... it wasn't frozen at all, it was busy dumping gfx for no reason at all. Problem solved, runs for me now, too!
Yes, i suppose that but i don´t did it before go to test. :D

I left old rage2x and new rage2x_beta in the same folder and without rename, it´s normal that when reload the gui it goes to the old one :D

Sorry for my english :(

Last edited by a moderator:
no worries! You're french right? I guess we are lucky that you speak English at all ^^. hardly any of the french that I have met in my entire life were willing/able to speak english. I guess they just don't care too much about other languages.

Now, I got the emulator to boot now, I also tested games with it but as soon as I change the options, it freezes on the unibios splash screen. this must however be some tiny mistake that I slipped in somewhere. I am fairly certain that I can correct this easily.

I am from Spain :D

I am using arcade mode and i have not suffered hangs, only sometimes the sound was not starting, but restarting gneogeo i solved it.I using new rage.

lol... oops. Okay so then you are not french. Same goes for spanish people though. I have now worked for nearly 4 month in Madrid and I didn't really meet a lot of people talking English. More then in France though...

It freezes for me when I have sound turned on. I narrowed the problem down to this. When I have sound switched on (doesn't matter at which sample rate) it will freeze right after the unibios splashscreen.

xnopasaranx said:
lol... oops. Okay so then you are not french. Same goes for spanish people though. I have now worked for nearly 4 month in Madrid and I didn't really meet a lot of people talking English. More then in France though...

It freezes for me when I have sound turned on. I narrowed the problem down to this. When I have sound switched on (doesn't matter at which sample rate) it will freeze right after the unibios splashscreen.

Hey don't feed the troll! What about you speaking french? :p

(PS i'm french :rolleyes: )

I am not trying to show any language arrogance here ^^. You are right, I could be learning french aswell... I am not at all implying that everybody should speak english. I just wanted to tell him that it is no thing to worry about, as I think it's great that he is speaking english. It's not like it's my native tongue either. And also I think that french sounds way better then German for example. So yeah... I shouldn't have learned latin in school, I always wanted to learn French.
EDIT: (or Spanish... Mi espanol es muy facil. No entiendo mucho)

reiboul said:
Are both core the same speed? or is the second core fixed at a static speed? Why not set it automatically, according to the samplerate used? i don't know how all this works, but you're the one in control pepone ;)
no, the second core can be confgured with his hown speed like used with gpu940 (in Egoboo2x) but it seem the 940t can't overclock has good has the 920.

Yod4z said:
no, the second core can be confgured with his hown speed like used with gpu940 (in Egoboo2x) but it seem the 940t can't overclock has good has the 920.
Are you sure about that? I was somewhat convinced that both cores use the same clock source (FCLK IIRC). At least setting the clock from 920 side also certainly affects the 940. I saw that gpu940 is setting the clock from the 940 side, but I think that also sets the clock for 920.

Hi.
That's really a great emu...
I've a little problem using this beta....
I can't hear the music,even the neo geo logo.
In Art Of Fighting 3 i can see the gfx effects,but not the music and not the neo geo bios.
A friend of mine,can hear music and gfx with the same options in the rage2x turned on.
The music sample is 22 khz.
Could some one please help me to understand what's going on??

Yod4z said:
reiboul said:
Are both core the same speed? or is the second core fixed at a static speed? Why not set it automatically, according to the samplerate used? i don't know how all this works, but you're the one in control pepone ;)

Yes that's true, I tested several rixed's private beta and the game was crashing because the default config sets the 940 at 250Mhz. It took time before w<e spotted the problem, because Picodrive works @255Mhz dual core while the 920 alone can clock to 273, it's because of me that he supplied another binary with 225 clock, which works just fine for me.
In the meantime, the 920T was always clocked at 266 or 270Mhz :)

*edit* almost forgot my question lol! actually I was speaking about GnGeo in particular : does it set both processor at different speed, or are both core the same speed? because I dare think the 940T which handles sound could be less clocked than the 920T :) for exmeple, 200mhz/100mhz bot 920/940T ?

If so, maybe the 2nd core could be hard-coded (or not) to work at a particuliar speed depending on the samplerate, just enough but not too much, while the 1st core could be clocked manually!

On the other hand I assume that, like the 920T, charge on the 940T may vary :s so we should have to set our own speeds?

reiboul said:
Yod4z said:
reiboul said:

Yes that's true, I tested several rixed's private beta and the game was crashing because the default config sets the 940 at 250Mhz. It took time before w<e spotted the problem, because Picodrive works @255Mhz dual core while the 920 alone can clock to 273, it's because of me that he supplied another binary with 225 clock, which works just fine for me.
In the meantime, the 920T was always clocked at 266 or 270Mhz :)

*edit* almost forgot my question lol! actually I was speaking about GnGeo in particular : does it set both processor at different speed, or are both core the same speed? because I dare think the 940T which handles sound could be less clocked than the 920T :) for exmeple, 200mhz/100mhz bot 920/940T ?

If so, maybe the 2nd core could be hard-coded (or not) to work at a particuliar speed depending on the samplerate, just enough but not too much, while the 1st core could be clocked manually!

On the other hand I assume that, like the 920T, charge on the 940T may vary :s so we should have to set our own speeds?

Actually, I don't know if the 940T is really overclocked... I must say that it's a part I don't quite master and I took the code from the cpuspeed utility. For know I suscpect that gngeo don't touch the 940 clock speed since overclocking gngeo don't seems to really improve the sound emulation. If someone can help me on this :)

For now, it seems that the 940T don't have much room left to be underclocked.

Yod4z said:
I think I can prove this is wrong. Do this simple test:

Set your CPU clock to 50MHz and run Egoboo2x. It should slow down to a crawl because of such a low clock, shouldn't it? But it doesn't.
Now overclock to to 270MHz (or to whatever your GP2X can handle). Run Egoboo2x. It runs completely the same as @ 50MHz. How can this be?

This is because gpu940_225 sets the clock to 225MHz. That clock is not just it's own, but also 920's.

If you are still not convinced, try another test:
Edit your egoboo.gpe to this:
CODE

#!/bin/sh

chmod a+x egoboo load940 stop940
sync
./load940 gpu940_225
sleep 1
./cpu_speed.gpe --cpuclk 266
./egoboo >/tmp/egoboo.log 2>&1
./stop940
cd /usr/gp2x; ./gp2xmenu

This test sets the CPU clock _after_ loading up gpu940. If the line "cpu_speed.gpe --cpuclk 266" only sets clock for 920, everything should run fine, shouldn't it? But it doesn't, the clock gets set for both cores, 940 can't operate at such speed (unless you are very lucky and your 940 can actually run that fast) and it hangs.

Conclusion: like the docs say, both cores use the same clock source, so they can't be overclocked separately (unless the multipliers are changed). The quote at the top of my post is a (busted) myth.

Well... I thought that I knew the source of my freezes now but I guess I am proven wrong. I thought it might be because my 940 doesn't overclock so well... egoboo doesn't run long before it freezes for me aswell.

glstar said:
Hi.
That's really a great emu...
I've a little problem using this beta....
I can't hear the music,even the neo geo logo.
In Art Of Fighting 3 i can see the gfx effects,but not the music and not the neo geo bios.
A friend of mine,can hear music and gfx with the same options in the rage2x turned on.
The music sample is 22 khz.
Could some one please help me to understand what's going on??
Hi.
Now i can't hear the sound at all,with the same options then before..
I really don't understand....
Could it be that as i've read,the second cpu may be vary from console to console and on some of this gp2x can't work properly??

slaanesh said:
pepone said:
I didn't tried AOF3, but IIRC it use a lot of scaling, that's why I think the fps is not steady.
For a game like Garou, when the SD card is not accessed, I got 60fps @200Mhz @22050Hz.
Yes you are right.

Metal Slug 1 plays at 60FPS @ 200Mhz with 22050hz sound. Great stuff!
However, the graphics for the sprites seem corrupt? Or is this just my particular ROM?

I have no graphics glitches with MS1, but no sound! In fact I can't get sound for any ROM (yes I have enabled sound = true). I'm using the latest gngeo and rage2x. I've tried all the neogeo BIOS files i could get my hands on (arcade bios, console bios, unibios). Any suggestions?

EDIT: I have an MK2 and firmware 3.0

EDIT2: Interesting, I get a few sound effects in neobomberman

No graphics problem here but sound sometimes works prefectly another doesn´t work :D

I have tried to not force the overclocking and the random sound problem still there.

Anyway, this beta is incredible, i am amazed of the speed boost. :)

When random problems dissapear the emu will be almost perfect.

VSync rules :) I like it, it´s great.

I've done some benchmark, and the 940 is indeed overclocked at the same time that the 920.
Yod4Z, can you remove the sentence about selector in your first post? It's actually the lack of ramhack that cause the slowdown.

Back