Beta Gngeo 0.8 Beta1

Thanks!

The game controls (A,B,C,D,START,COIN,UP,DOWN,LEFT,RIGHT) do not work in-game when the universal bios (version 2.3)is set to Arcade mode.
Your menu still works. In console mode everything works fine.

When in Arcade mode the in-game controls do not work with the 1.3 or 2.x Universe Bios (can not insert coin, start, or play game).

The in-game controls work in Arcade mode with Universe Bios 1.0, 1.1, & 1.2.

The Arcade mode with with Universe Bios 1.1 and 1.2 starts with credits showing for both players like in console mode but allows Coin entry.
This is a problem because it skips the attract mode.

Arcade mode with Universe Bios 1.0 starts with no credits as it should.

I use Universe Bios 1.0 in Arcade mode to access the Test switch.

dgame said:
When in Arcade mode the in-game controls do not work with the 1.3 or 2.x Universe Bios (can not insert coin, start, or play game).

The in-game controls work in Arcade mode with Universe Bios 1.0, 1.1, & 1.2.

The Arcade mode with with Universe Bios 1.1 and 1.2 starts with credits showing for both players like in console mode but allows Coin entry.
This is a problem because it skips the attract mode.

Arcade mode with Universe Bios 1.0 starts with no credits as it should.

I use Universe Bios 1.0 in Arcade mode to access the Test switch.
Thanks for the report. I'm quite busy right now, but will try to look at those bug asap

Last edited by a moderator:
Yod4z said:
D4damage said:
What romset should we use with this ?
the last

I got a NeoRageX Romset. 50 something of them worked, but the others like metal slug 1 (4 worked) wouldn't load. Any ideas ?

D4damage said:
Yod4z said:
D4damage said:
What romset should we use with this ?
the last

I got a NeoRageX Romset. 50 something of them worked, but the others like metal slug 1 (4 worked) wouldn't load. Any ideas ?
use last MAME Neogeo games Romset. Neoragex romset is too old (10 years maybe ^^) there's change on some neogeo Rom in the last 3 years

I'm having a problem with encrypted ROMs. They either hang the Pandora during the 'decrypting' stage, or crash the app and return to miniMenu. I've tried multiple ROM sets, including the latest MAME 0.141 and a MAME 0.130 set rebuilt using ClrMamePro.

Any ideas?

Decrypting Roms need lots of memory, maybe there not enougth mem available for gngeo. Do you have any service running in the background? Can you try after a fresh reboot?

pepone said:
Decrypting Roms need lots of memory, maybe there not enougth mem available for gngeo. Do you have any service running in the background? Can you try after a fresh reboot?

Happens to me as well, even running from MiniMenu.

BTW: Your unit is only about 30 - 40 units away, so I will most probably ship it within the next two weeks :)
That will surely help improving GNGeo :D

Last edited:
nice to hear that :)

As for the memory issue, there is the possibility to play predecrypted roms
Gngeo can dump a roms to a special .gno file (much like the gfx dump of the gp2x version) that need less memory.
Though it need more test.

Uh, short question in advance: would an older GNGeo from the GP2X still work onto the Pandora or is it still better to use the dedicated Pandora Version of GnGeo? I've just read that Pandora Version has no GUI and my GP2X Version has a nice GUI, so I just thought... ^^"""

pepone said:

Even after a fresh reboot I have the same problem. I don't have any extra services running in the background. I have found that some games, like Metal Slug 4, decrypt without any problems. Others, like Metal Slug 3, constantly crash or hang during the decryption step. I'm 100% certain it isn't a ROM issue. I've tried with all the major variants of Neo Geo ROMs, validated by ClrMamePro.

I'm not sure why memory should be an issue here. Final Burn Alpha has been decrypting Neo-Geo ROMs just fine on older mobile devices, which much less memory than the Pandora. Does GnGeo have higher resource requirements?

fusion_power said:
Uh, short question in advance: would an older GNGeo from the GP2X still work onto the Pandora or is it still better to use the dedicated Pandora Version of GnGeo? I've just read that Pandora Version has no GUI and my GP2X Version has a nice GUI, so I just thought... ^^"""

You should be able to run the GP2X version through Ginge. I haven't tried that yet though. I personally prefer the interface in pepone's 0.8 release.

goldenegg said:
pepone said:

Even after a fresh reboot I have the same problem. I don't have any extra services running in the background. I have found that some games, like Metal Slug 4, decrypt without any problems. Others, like Metal Slug 3, constantly crash or hang during the decryption step. I'm 100% certain it isn't a ROM issue. I've tried with all the major variants of Neo Geo ROMs, validated by ClrMamePro.

I'm not sure why memory should be an issue here. Final Burn Alpha has been decrypting Neo-Geo ROMs just fine on older mobile devices, which much less memory than the Pandora. Does GnGeo have higher resource requirements?
IIRC, finalburn decrypt roms in little chunck, gngeo don't do this at the moment, it load all the sprites and then decrypt then in an other buffer.
Maybe in the future I'll optimize that.
fusion_power said:

You should be able to run the GP2X version through Ginge. I haven't tried that yet though. I personally prefer the interface in pepone's 0.8 release.

No it will not work, Gngeo on the GP2x use the second core wich is not supported by ginge.
Plus Gngeo 0.8 is better ;)

pepone said:
No it will not work, Gngeo on the GP2x use the second core wich is not supported by ginge.
Plus Gngeo 0.8 is better ;)
Ok, I believe you. As long as I don't have to use a command line to make a Rom run I'm fine with it. ^^
By the way, I have an older GNGeo Version onto my GP2X that only uses 1 core, I never tried the 2-core Emu version because it always was in a more or less experimental beta-state when I remember correctly. However, I was able to play all NeoGeo games I've tested with 1 Core and 266MHz and this usualy with raster effects enabled (Neo Turf Masters looks weird without). :) Twinkle Star Sprites was a little bit slow but I'm sure, there are no Speed issues at the Pandora.

Back