Beta Gngeo 0.8 Beta1

pepone

Pouet! Pouet! Do want!
Website
m.peponas.free.fr
Hell everyone,

http://m.peponas.free.fr/gngeo/download/gngeo_pandora_0.8_1.zip

Here is a beta of the lastest version of gngeo, it should be faster than the 0.7 version.
The compatibility shoud be good, but bugs are also expected. This is beta software, so don't excpect fancy user interface (you will need to use a shell to lanch it, sorry DaveC ;) ), pnd etc. Some features are also completly bugged like savestate.
Please not also that you will need a recent romset.

Todo list:
- Fix bugs!
- improve the user interface (rom selector, configuration)
- SaveState support

I'd like to thanks a lot jonlad1 for his help with testing!

Pepone.

I'd like to add that Pepone doesnt have a Pandora yet but he still managed to work some NeoGeo magic ;)

jonlad1 said:
I'd like to add that Pepone doesnt have a Pandora yet but he still managed to work some NeoGeo magic ;)
WTF!?

Let's get him a Pandora ASAP. ;) Pepone, you are the best. Hopefully your unit will be in the next 400 batch to ship out. I'm going to test this out right now, thanks again!

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
jumpman said:
jonlad1 said:
WTF!?

Let's get him a Pandora ASAP. ;) Pepone, you are the best. Hopefully your unit will be in the next 400 batch to ship out. I'm going to test this out right now, thanks again!

Chris

He ordered from Ed and I think Ed is sorting him one out from his next batch.

craigix said:
jumpman said:
jonlad1 said:
WTF!?

Chris

Yep, just got the note he needs one too late - the last ones were already shipped.

Funny enough, he would get one with the next delivery anyways - he's not too far off in my list :D

Last edited:
craigix said:
jumpman said:
jonlad1 said:
WTF!?

Chris

In hindsight we could have done with discretely opening up pre-orders to key people in the scene first, then opening the floodgates... but what's done is done I guess. :)

You know, the port wouldn't have been done sooner even if I had a pandora, so it don't change anything :)

PokeParadox said:
In hindsight we could have done with discretely opening up pre-orders to key people in the scene first, then opening the floodgates... but what's done is done I guess. :)

Well... yeah but we never expected that delivery would take that long in the first place ;)

Last edited:
pepone said:
so don't excpect fancy user interface (you will need to use a shell to lanch it, sorry DaveC ;) ), pnd etc. Todo list:
- Fix bugs!
- improve the user interface (rom selector, configuration)
- SaveState support

I'd like to thanks a lot jonlad1 for his help with testing!

Pepone.
The original on the GP2X didn't have an interface either did it? I remember someone else made a frontend for it .

I wonder if that one could/would be ported?

DaveC said:
The original on the GP2X didn't have an interface either did it? I remember someone else made a frontend for it .

Rage2X by JyCet - very good it was, too.

Thanks pepone for your GNGeo work!

GunPei2X said:
DaveC said:

Yeah that is it, sadly JyCet hasn't been around much. I don't know if the source is around.

DaveC said:
GunPei2X said:
DaveC said:

Yeah that is it, sadly JyCet hasn't been around much. I don't know if the source is around.

The source is on the archive.

-God Ginrai

Thanks Pepone :D
What the change between 0.7 and 0.8? it use Cyclone core? is xgngeo frontend working?

Yod4z said:
Thanks Pepone :D
What the change between 0.7 and 0.8? it use Cyclone core? is xgngeo frontend working?
Compatibility should be higher, if you have a recent romset ;)
Encrypted roms support is mostly ok (you'll need a lot of free memory though) Garou and MetalSlug3 are reported to work.
Still, lots of bootlegs are not supported yet.
All asm optimization are used (cyclone, drz80, sprite drawing)

Many option have change, so XGngeo will most likely not work. I didn't test it though.

some usefull option I didn't mention:
--scale=2
--showfps
--fullscreen

if you feel adventurous,
--effect=scale2x

Hello all.

Here is a new beta version of gngeo. I've only test it on a beagleboard clone, but it should work on the pandora.
I've also tried to make a pnd, but as I can't test it, I don't know if it's good or not.
Main change in this version is an improved menu with a rom loader, and also a preliminary option screen.

The pnd: http://m.peponas.free.fr/gngeo/download/gngeo_0.8b1.pnd
and in case it don't work, a good old zip: http://m.peponas.free.fr/gngeo/download/gngeo_pandora_0.8_2.zip

Frontend starts up ok using pnd, can change options and select game but games dont work says "failed to init maybe blabla"

You need a recent romset. Don't use a romset made for gngeo on the gp2x or mame4all.
I think I base all my test on a romset from mame 130 or something like that.

Pnd, and emulator appears to work fine. I'm actually getting a more recent rom set right now, so I'll report back later with how well the games actually run.

Thanks pepone, your work is always appreciated.

Chris

Tried a recent romset works perfectly :)
thanks a lot
scaling to fullscreen would be good :)

If everything worked as it should, the screen should have been almost fullscreen, something like 640x480.
You can try to change the effect in the option menu (but don't choose any effect with x3 or x4, gngeo will not like it on the pandora I guess).
Or you can also use ofbset&co to use gngeo with the framebuffer (and if you want the best condition, set the lcd refresh rate to 60Hz, enable vsync and disable autoframeskip)

Back