Gngeo2x 0.7 Beta 11

DaveC said:
Hmm. So how and where are these cache files? I hope it isn't writing to my NAND :angry:

If it is is there a way to prevent that (and the eventual destruction of my GP2X)?

Also why will this trick not work with the new version?

Thanks again,
Dave
you mean the cache that linux keeps of accessed files? cause that's kept in ram.

Last edited by a moderator:
rokdcasbah said:
DaveC said:
Hmm. So how and where are these cache files? I hope it isn't writing to my NAND :angry:

If it is is there a way to prevent that (and the eventual destruction of my GP2X)?

Also why will this trick not work with the new version?

Thanks again,
Dave
you mean the cache that linux keeps of accessed files? cause that's kept in ram.

Indeed, it's a cache in ram. Don't worry DaveC, Afaik, linux don't write to the nand without your permission :)
You should try the new version, since there is not a lot of feedback for now..

This trick may or may not work with the new version, actually I don't now. I try to do my best so that gngeo is playable without it anyway.

Hi,

Without the trick this last release is better than previous.
It's not as smooth as Jycet Trick but it's not too far, in fact
after few seconds of caching (i guess) it's a 60fps.

The only probs that i had is the emu crashed when i laucnhed last blade 2 with
selector but not with Rage2x.

And when i launch it with rage2x with sound @22khz it's damn chopy.

Does anybody else has this problem with rage2x?

Bye

Herc. :ph34r:

pepone said:
Indeed, it's a cache in ram. Don't worry DaveC, Afaik, linux don't write to the nand without your permission :)
You should try the new version, since there is not a lot of feedback for now..

This trick may or may not work with the new version, actually I don't now. I try to do my best so that gngeo is playable without it anyway.
That is good. If linux caches these files in RAM is there a reason why the emu couldn't do the same trick and cache the files in RAM to eliminate sound pauses?

I would like to try this version but I have to re-dump all of the ROMs again. I have to find the versions that work with this as the ROMs on my card have the gfx removed to save space. I remember I had a hard time finding compatible ROMs. Which versions work with this again?

This version works really well and a good majority of games run 60fps at 200mhz. Also I don't know when you fixed the sound in Ninja Combat and Ninja Commando but it is very much appreciated. Thank you! I just wish sound in Sonic Wings 2 and 3 would work someday. Also I have a question about the rom.rc files. These rom sets have always been very weird. Why are these no where near to being close to the MAME sets? Primarily it's quite a few of the later NeoGeo games that are problem games. Mainly KOF2001n, KOF2000, Mslug3 are the big problem ones. KOF2000 dumps fine, but there are no font graphics or player energy bars. I'm guessing it's the M1 rom?... or is it the S1 rom? Is there any way you could use the "rominfo.mvs" file from NJ's NeoGeo MVS emu in a future release? That file uses all the recent mame sets. One other thing I noticed is that since these cache files are compressed now it seems like that's causing a lot of stutter for the larger games with huge gfx dumps. Well plus probably the slow SD card access by the gp2x. Anyways thanks again for all your hard work.

GP2X_Coder said:
Pepone it there any chance of a gfx to gzx converter? I dont have the original roms anylonger :(
Yes it's possible. I have to do it :)

GP2X_Coder said:
pepone said:
GP2X_Coder said:
Pepone it there any chance of a gfx to gzx converter? I dont have the original roms anylonger :(
Yes it's possible. I have to do it :)

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!! :D

in the meanwhile, if you are under linux, you can try the following to convert a gfx file to gzx with "split" and "zip". It should work.

For example, for kof96:
CODE

mkdir gfx_tmp && cd gfx_tmp
split -d -a 4 -b 16384 /path/to/your/kof96.gfx kof96.
zip kof96.gzx kof96.*
mv kof96.gzx ..
rm -rf gfx_tmp

It's certainly possible to do it under windows, you just have to find a utility to split a file in many part. The resulting files must be 16384 byte in size and named game.0000 game.0001 game.0002 etc.

PS: it should work ok with the current beta, but it will certainly break in the future.

It's certainly possible to do it under windows, you just have to find a utility to split a file in many part. The resulting files must be 16384 byte in size and named game.0000 game.0001 game.0002 etc.

PS: it should work ok with the current beta, but it will certainly break in the future.

http://www.freebyte.com/hjsplit/ ?

Yod4z said:

http://www.freebyte.com/hjsplit/ ?

I personally prefer something like http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/ :)
Looks like hjsplit can't create .NNNN suffix. only .NNN

Apologies for this very Noob question, but what exactly does the Raster option do, and is it best to have it enabled or disabled? :huh:
Thanks in advance :)

Mr Pace said:
Apologies for this very Noob question, but what exactly does the Raster option do, and is it best to have it enabled or disabled? :huh:
keep it disable for nearly all the game.
The games that need it are the supersidekicks serie and some other (a golf one that I don't remember the name)

Plus, it's a little buggy for now :ph34r:

pepone said:
Mr Pace said:
The games that need it are the supersidekicks serie and some other (a golf one that I don't remember the name)

Thank you :) Would the golf game be Neo Turf Masters (My fave golf game of all time, and one i'll definately be playing!)?

pepone said:

I think you mean NEO TURF MASTERS. :) But it's not A golf game, its THE golf game for NeoGeo I would say and I really really miss a non buggy and fast raster option there. ^^"
So maybe you could optimize the raster effect at least for Neo Turf Masters please? It's playable without Raster Effects of course but it really looks not good this way.

shinra said:
Last blade 2 uses rasters in some stages??
i don't think so but maybe i don't see the diference :/

Hey Pepone, I can't create gfx dumps under the beta14 version of gngeo, but I think that has already been reported. So I tried to compile dumpgfx under Ubuntu Feisty, it compiled ok but everytime I try to use it on a rom it crashes. Was wondering if you have any clues.

Thanks

p.s. is there a rc file for Ganryu?

smellybohemian said:
p.s. is there a rc file for Ganryu?
make a file ganryu.rc with this
CODE

game ganryu MVS "Ganryu / Musashi Ganryuki"
CPU 0x200000
252-p1.bin 0x100000 0x100000 NORM
- 0x0 0x100000 NORM
END
SM1 0x20000
252-m1.bin 0x0 0x20000 NORM
END
SOUND1 0x400000
252-v1.bin 0x000000 0x400000 NORM
END
GFX 0x1000000
252_c1.rom 0x0000000 0x800000 ALTERNATE
252_c2.rom 0x0000001 0x800000 ALTERNATE
END
END

or ganryun.rc

CODE

#Ganryu (Decrypted C)
game ganryun MVS "Ganryu / Musashi Ganryuki (Decrypted C)"
CPU 0x200000
252-p1.bin 0x100000 0x100000 NORM
- 0x0 0x100000 NORM
END
SFIX 0x20000
gann_s1.rom 0x0 0x20000 NORM
END
SM1 0x20000
252-m1.bin 0x0 0x20000 NORM
END
SOUND1 0x400000
252-v1.bin 0x000000 0x400000 NORM
END
GFX 0x1000000
gann_c1.rom 0x0000000 0x800000 ALTERNATE
gann_c2.rom 0x0000001 0x800000 ALTERNATE
END
END

don't forget the return line at the end of file ;)

Back