Gmenu2x V0.3 Released

greven posted on Aug 17 2006 at 04:15 PM said:
This is awesome, just a quick question : once you created the link, how do you customize the icon ?

I think you'd have to point the link to the icon manually.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aimless_E posted on Aug 17 2006 at 06:13 PM said:
I asked about this in the dev forum the other day one of these things could be the problem

1. he's not using SDL or a library that "supports" the TV-Out function
2. he's staticly linking SDL so he isnt using GPH's SDL installation on FW2.0
3. He's not using hwSDL
4. He has some unsuported option in his render function.

My programs were doing the same thing until I got rid of the -static option in the compile script.

hope it helps :)
I am using static linking but I use the hwSDL so this isn't the problem. I think I know what is causing this and it is the cpuspeed binary that also does something to the screen (when you launch gmenu2x it is executed to reset the cpu to 200mhz. the flickering at the start is caused by this). So the solution would be to insert the code for overclocking directly in gmenu2x bypassing cpuspeed.

To be sure launch gmenu2x after moving scripts/cpuspeed to a different location and test it on the tv (I cannot now).

iignotus posted on Aug 17 2006 at 06:35 PM said:
Aninhumer posted on Aug 17 2006 at 12:26 PM said:
reiboul posted on Aug 17 2006 at 05:08 PM said:
i have a little suggestion... what do you think of a built-in explorer that launches .gpe and .gpu, so that you can launch programs the old way without making a shortcut? :)
Nothing very important at the moment, but it can be useful

I'm beginning to love your program :p GPH should use it in their new firmware B)
If you can work out which program the original menu used to load them, you can make a link to it and use that.
I've been looking for the name and location of the original explorer as well. A link from gmenu would be great.
I think it's built-in the normal frontend but if you figure it out let me know

nickspoon posted on Aug 17 2006 at 09:13 PM said:
cowai posted on Aug 17 2006 at 06:24 PM said:
The "add link"-thing don't work for me.. I press select, then choose the gpe-file and press B. Nothing comes up... Am I doing something wrong?
Same here. Also, Gmenu2x appears to have possibly corrupted my card (either that, or it was my PC), but now I can't run anything, can't add any links and my Games folder is inaccessible from the PC.
The fact that links don't appear may suggest corruption in your sd (corrupted FATs are mounted read-only by linux) but I don't think it's gmenu2x's fault. It only writes on the filesystem when you modify the clock for a link or when you add a link, and it syncs right after that...

iignotus posted on Aug 17 2006 at 06:05 PM said:
Aimless_E posted on Aug 17 2006 at 12:48 PM said:
iignotus posted on Aug 17 2006 at 11:35 AM said:
I've been looking for the name and location of the original explorer as well. A link from gmenu would be great.
Me Thinks the Original Explorer is intergrated

:(
:( Indeed.

Well how about a linking to the standard menu? That would allow you to run .gpe/u files the normal way then revert to gmenu2x. Then if you launched gmenu2x from GPH's menu that would be the same as a "quit" function I guess. (Because everything is stop-start, rather than nested)

Awesome work :D I just gave it a try and its definately better than the original
menu.

Also, it may be a good idea to word wrap, cull letters, or easily let us edit the icon
name. As the huge filenames tend to overlap each other.

Again, Awesome job :D

-Twixn-

I just wanted to add this accolade:

I've ben checking the battery indicator during my progress with Kid Chameleon ... it's now down to 95% ... I had no idea it would be so accurate!!

Thanks again³ for a wonderful front-end!

TelcoLou posted on Aug 17 2006 at 09:39 PM said:

I've ben checking the battery indicator during my progress with Kid Chameleon ... it's now down to 95% ... I had no idea it would be so accurate!!

Random comment, but if you want a REALLY hard game, play Athena on the latest MAME for the GP2X: Made by SNK but before they made their own hardware. You'll kill yourself over that game...

Sorry for hogging the topic .. just found this bit of info:

The main menu seems to read 100% after booting; to get an accurate reading, I need to launch an emu, then go back to the menu.

Aninhumer posted on Aug 17 2006 at 06:45 PM said:
Well how about a linking to the standard menu? That would allow you to run .gpe/u files the normal way then revert to gmenu2x. Then if you launched gmenu2x from GPH's menu that would be the same as a "quit" function I guess. (Because everything is stop-start, rather than nested)
That's already been done, the menu has an 'exit' item now. I was just wishing it was a little more coherent; but it works well enough as-is, I've now found.
TelcoLou posted on Aug 17 2006 at 10:19 PM said:

Sorry for hogging the topic .. just found this bit of info:

The main menu seems to read 100% after booting; to get an accurate reading, I need to launch an emu, then go back to the menu.
I've found that the battery indicator never gives great precision; I don't think it really can. But it works well enough, as in, it usually indicates within %10-15.

iignotus posted on Aug 17 2006 at 10:50 PM said:
I've found that the battery indicator never gives great precision; I don't think it really can. But it works well enough, as in, it usually indicates within %10-15.

Ah, well it's good enough for me ... I can never see that dim-ass red LED anyway :lol:

Ryo this is great, my stuff now shows up now and is much easier to work with now.

An "unfiled" section with a scanner would be nice eventually.

Also minor but kind of important for the skinners out there. Could you eliminate the transparent bar at the top and bottom that lightens the background in those areas? All you would have to do to give the same look is to draw that into the background instead. This way those of us that want to draw backgrounds can put in anything we want in those areas without having to fight the forced transparent bars at the top and bottom. Right not you have to draw real dark so that when the bars lighten it it looks the way you want. Sometimes it is hard to get right brightness though.

Battery indicator cannot be more accurate this, it may also change accuracy depending on the type of batteries, but it's meant to give just an idea of the status of batteries...

DaveC posted on Aug 18 2006 at 05:59 AM said:
Ryo this is great at my stuff now shows up now and is much easier to work with now.

An "unfiled" section with a scanner would be nice eventually.

Also minor but kind of important for the skinners out there. Could you eliminate the transparent bar at the top and bottom that lightens the background in those areas? All you would have to do to give the same look is to draw that into the background instead. This way those of us that want to draw backgrounds can put in anything we want in those areas without having to fight the forced transparent bars at the top and bottom. Right not you have to draw real dark so that when the bars lighten it it looks the way you want. Sometimes it is hard to get right brightness though.

The scanner is planned, and for the background I would like to keep program-drawn bars for users not skilled or motivated enough to redraw the interface so that they could just replace the bg. But I was planning to make the alpha value of the transparency configurable, with a value of 0 meaning no-bars.

I'm leaving for a little vacation as I write and I will not be able to reply for a couple of weeks (no internet :( ), I can leave reassured knowing that there are no big problems in this release.
Bye

Ryo posted on Aug 18 2006 at 04:14 AM said:
The scanner is planned, and for the background I would like to keep program-drawn bars for users not skilled or motivated enough to redraw the interface so that they could just replace the bg. But I was planning to make the alpha value of the transparency configurable, with a value of 0 meaning no-bars.

Ok configurable would be ok.

While the programmed bars are good for some users, it hurts those that want to draw skins and I am sure there will be many so I hope at least an option to turn off will be included.

About the battery indicator: it`s kinda useless to me, I booted up, indicator shows 75%, I started mp3 player, immediately backed out, battery was down to 70%, I started eBook reader, backed out, battery indicator shows 66% I once again started the reader, backed out, battery was on 68% :blink:
I then added some links in the games section, tested them, battery indicator went to 30%, and I only started the games and quit them immediately...

Back