GamesCom Video and Remaining Tasks

A good 1080p screen will always look better than a crappy 720p screen, and better than a good 720p display.

It seems you suppose 1080p screens are usaully crappy, while all 1080p screens I have seen were good to excellent (from good manufactures).

Consider four factors: Resolution, Quality, Price, Availability. ED has to balance these.

Are we talking about whole pixels or that PenTile crap? Makes a big difference.

All smarphones I have own (including one with OLED display) where RGB, no pentile :)

In fact, I was going to buy, time ago when it was launched, a Galxy SIII but when I saw it screen, pentile OLED at 1280x720, I crearly saw pentile defects with that LOW RESOLUTION, and I rejected that cellphone. In 1080p and QHD pentile is invisible (it is a subpixel question), but I have never own a pentile.

I can't see pentile in a 1080p or QHD cellphone, but I can see sawtooths in a good quality IPS LCD 720p cellphone :) And you call crap to pentile, when there is excelent pentile displays much superior to 720p LCD.

Why you talk about pentile when it is near inexistent in LCD displays?
On other side recent Galaxy S6/7 have pentile OLED and its dispalys are superb, obviously I don't expect that quality in BOE display.
[doublepost=1474489188,1474488410][/doublepost]
I vote for 720p

It was decided before your actual vote :) but of course you and everyone can vote and have their opinion, while it was decided before.
[doublepost=1474489366][/doublepost]
Consider four factors: Resolution, Quality, Price, Availability. ED has to balance these.

He had to banace "Oh my good, this rotator chip we need (then they were thinking it was needed) only support 720p", so that ends other option and 1080p question :) No other balance needed, because it was a must to downgrade to 720p as rotator chip only supported 720p. Of course, after that downgrade you can argue it was better for battery, cheaper, etc, etc, but before rotator chip it was officialy 1080p.

Why you talk about pentile when it is near inexistent in LCD displays?
It's not as rare as you might think, it simply works differently (PenTile RGBW). Instead of sharing subpixels they include additional white subpixels to meddle with the luminance - they still use it to cheat with the total pixel count, though.

Originally Pyra was going to have 1080p, but ended with 720p because rotator chip only supported 720p. Before this thread https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/threads/beautiful-landscapes-are-prettier-than-portraits.74058/ where we are presented with rotator chip only supporting 720p, Pyra was going to be 1080p.

My recollection is that we were likely to go for a 720p screen long before that thread, for reasons of GPU power and battery usage* well before that thread came up, but that thread eliminated the possibility of a 1080p screen because of the rotator chip. We were always likely to have a 720p screen in the Pyra, but it wasn't definite until then. But I can't be bothered digging through old posts, I'm afraid, so you've only my word for this at present.

* Still I'm not sure how this squares with having 1080p output on the HDMI port. But personally I'm fine with anything better than the screen my Pandora had. The machine I currently own with the best vertical resolution puts out 768 lines (in 4:3) on a 19 inch monitor, so having 720 lines in a handheld form factor sounds mighty fine to me.

The machine I currently own with the best vertical resolution puts out 768 lines (in 4:3) on a 19 inch monitor, so having 720 lines in a handheld form factor sounds mighty fine to me.

Do you use your 19 inch monitor at 25-30 centimeters distance from your eyes? I hope you don't.

I am sure, or at least I hope, you look at your 19 inches monitor from a greater distance than to look at your cellphone or pocket computer (Pyra, Pandora, Zaurus) :)

With greater distance, you need less pixel density.
[doublepost=1474492121,1474491945][/doublepost]
It's not as rare as you might think, it simply works differently (PenTile RGBW). Instead of sharing subpixels they include additional white subpixels to meddle with the luminance - they still use it to cheat with the total pixel count, though.

I said "NEAR inexistent" because I know about some LCD models which used pentile distribution, but they are very rare and some old. From enough time I have only see pentile in OLED displays (and also I have seen RGB in some OLED displays).

Do you use your 19 inch monitor at 25-30 centimeters distance from your eyes?
I do, my desk is slim like that. Its 110 DPI are pretty much perfect already.

I said "NEAR inexistent" because I know about some LCD models which used pentile distribution, but they are very rare and some old. From enough time I have only see pentile in OLED displays (and also I have seen RGB in some OLED displays).
They have been used in several Motorola and Lenovo devices, this includes 4K displays.

The first topic about that just turned 4 years old.

4 years ago there was people saying better 720p, others saying better 1280x800, others saying better 4:3... but when changed official specs from 1080p to 720p?

I remenber original Pyra specs saying 1080p, and I don't know exactly when they changed that specs officially. I know aboutr 720p Pyra official change to 720p from rotator chip limitation thread.

I do, my desk is slim like that. Its 110 DPI are pretty much perfect already.

They have been used in several Motorola and Lenovo devices, this includes 4K displays.

I am talking about pocket devices. Are you talking about 4k pocket devices? It may be I lost something recent in 4k pocket displays :)

What pocket computer/cellphone or similar has 4k display actually?

What recent Motorola/Lenovo LCD cellphones have pentile displays?

About 110 dpi: if you see perfect at 25-30 cm with only 110 dpi, and you don't need/see nothing better, you may have problems in your eyes/vision, or it may be I own superhuman vision, beceause with 300dpi I see I need more. With QHD (like 530 dpi) I am near perfect :)

We never had "original specs" back then, it was all just a collection of speculations. once things got semi-official 720p was already pretty much set into stone.

You can see lots of references about Pyra from other sites citing 1080p display, so it was in specs (that original specs that would change over time).

For example:

http://androidplayers.blogspot.co.ke/2014/04/dragonbox-pyra-o-sucessor-do-openpandora.html

http://www.portablegaming.de/allgem...395-dragonbox-pyra-sozusagen-pandora-2-a.html

and more and more: that 1080p display info cames from original Pyra specs.

Even I remember seeing that info in official blog (also it was quoted specs were preliminar and could change over time).
[doublepost=1474494229,1474494050][/doublepost]
I was referring to 4K more like "modern displays exist" rather than "follows mobile madness" - like the Lenovo IdeaPad Y50 4K.

My VA was measured to be about 150%, thank you very much.

150%, and you only need/see 110 ppp at 25-30 cm. Mine must be like 400% then. I won't check with a doctor, or they will kill me and made an autopsy to see how me eyes reach 530 ppp at that distance :)

You can see lots of references about Pyra from other sites citing 1080p display
And you can see a long history of inaccurate and badly researched facts on other sites all across this board. Seriously, don't go that route. If they don't link it, always take it with a grain of salt - it's called media competence.

150%, and you only need/see 110 ppp at 25-30 cm. Mine must be like 400% then. I won't check with a doctor, or they will kill me and made an autopsy to see how me eyes reach 530 ppp at that distance :)
There's percieved perfection and there's the point of I-don't-give-a-fuck-what's-beyond. I'd rather complain about the (very subtle) grain of my screen's matte surface rather than its pixel density.

@oskda it doesn't matter how right you are about it being said to be 1080p in the beginning of development. Right now we're heavily invested in the 720p display, switching screens at this point at the very least will require getting a new MIPI display driver working, at worse it may require making changes to the display board. As someone semi-familiar with the software and hardware driving the Pyra I can say performance wise 720p is the better choice.

"Most probably an LG 5'' 1080i Display"

That is likely the earliest Data-sheet for the Pyra available.

You can see lots of references about Pyra from other sites citing 1080p display, so it was in specs (that original specs that would change over time).
So what? All you're arguing right now is that it was such before, but to what end? What are you trying to accomplish?

I remember that the early specs list had a bunch of things, including the display, marked with an asterisk and designated as possibly changing. That also included RAM, which also changed (in case anyone wants more to argue about...remember, we can theoretically go up to 8GB). I think even that the dimensions weren't finalized, and the Pandora dimensions were listed. Things that weren't marked included the physical keyboard and game controls and dual SD slots. It would make more sense to complain and argue about those things that were not supposed to change that did, if you can find any. Better yet, why not argue about things that actually matter. the The screen resolution on a niche device is not really that important, even to those that are buying them, when compared to other things going on in the world. Maybe that effort can be applied elsewhere.

Back