GamesCom Video and Remaining Tasks

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
Finally, I found the time to edit the video material I filmed at GamesCom.
No Pyra News for you in there, just showing what you missed at our booth and in the whole retro area in case you didn't visit there.

I also want to thank the whole team that was helping out at our booth!
You guys rock! :D

I should have some Pyra videos for you soon!
Why? Read on - here's our latest news post!

1. TILER is now working on the real unit!

zmatt got TILER working, aTc included it in the official OS image and therefore, I have now a Pyra which runs with the official Pyra OS, rotated just using TILER and not the SSD Chip anymore!
That is some awesome news - and it now also means I can help tweaking the OS and test out all the stuff that some community members have packaged up on the real unit.

It's still a very basic hack and some other things need to be done. For example, the Touchscreen is not yet rotated (which makes using it very... interesting), but that's just a simple change in one file and a recompile.
Once units have been shipped to the developers, these small things will be a lot easier to fix.

I have 6 working PCBs here which I will need to put into the latest revision of the case and decide where to send them to.

That will all happen during the next two weeks.
I also hope to find the time to make some new videos for you :)

2. 1,5GHz Fix

Remember that we had the issue that units crashed running at 1,5GHz?
Well, it seems notaz has found the reason - it's a small trace in the hardware that shouldn't be connected.
Nikolaus missed a small "DNI" (which means: "Do not install") that was written down in the datasheet and therefore connected that trace.

Luckily, I was able to pause the CPU Board production until Nikolaus comes back from holiday next week to supply the little fix.
So the next CPU boards will have that fix included and should run without any issues at 1,5GHz as well!

It's always good to have more than just two eyes checking the schematics.

3. What else is left to do?

During GamesCom, I was able to test the Pyras and find out what's left to be done (hardware-wise - the software will always improve :))

Luckily, it isn't that much:

• The keymat works fine but is a bit stiff. Already working on that.
  • The new touchscreen needs to be tested (I'll receive it in 1 - 2 weeks)
  • The friction of the hinge needs to be improved (already being worked on)
  • The shoulder buttons need to be improved (already being worked on)
  • The peg inside the battery cover to keep the battery positioned needs to be a bit thicker (already being worked on)
  • The sealing of the speaker needs to be created (already in production)
  • Box design and manual needs to be created
  • Prototypes need to be stress tested (will work on that next week)

Well, and that's basically it.
Most of that is just the final case tweaking. The hardware seems to be working fine now.
And most of the above is already being worked on in parallel!

So yes, we're getting closer to the finish line!

Excellent news! Zmatt is a godsend to this project. Getting the TILER to do the heavy lifting without needing the rotator chip will save a lot of money, resources, energy...it's sooooo beneficial. I'm so happy that we have some talented people that can make this product come to fruition. Openness is good. Thank you ED for the update(s). This is the best news yet.

Totally agree. Notaz is a miracle worker at times. Spotting that mis-trace on a multi-layered board can't be easy. He definitely has an eye for detail, but that's never been in question. His work is legendary. I remember seeing the accolades of his static recompile of Starcraft for the Pandora (ARM based). Fantastic work. We have quite a team and supportive community.

Great news. Just a quick question: I paid for my preorder with Bitcoin. Will I have to pay the final price in Bitcoin as well?

I could help throw together a basic box design (logo on a couple sides, check boxes for model on one side), however it seems you probably want a fancier box. Those here that have actual graphic art skills could probably make something with a real chance of being used.

Thanks for the news and the improvement. Thank you very much @EvilDragon, @zmatt, @notaz and all.
What about the 4GB RAM timings ? There was someone who had to get a prototype to be able to contribute them ? Does this person have the prototype yet ?

I could help throw together a basic box design (logo on a couple sides, check boxes for model on one side), however it seems you probably want a fancier box. Those here that have actual graphic art skills could probably make something with a real chance of being used.

That's a great sentiment. I'd definitely be up for that as well. I know my way around Photoshop, GIMP, etc. I'd be happy to help or at least collaborate ideas. It's for the greater good.
[doublepost=1472192058,1472192003][/doublepost]Just give me an idea, and I'll pop out a few options.

Great News about the Tiler, and the OS, and the found bug in the shematics..
im looking forward for the next videos, and the finished Produkt..

So yes, we're getting closer to the finish line!
Glad to hear it from you. I followed all the threads. It's hard for you guys to make the pyra finish. The final part seems more and more difficult. You only want to give us a perfect pyra.
What to do now is waiting your news and my pyra.

Glad to hear it from you. I followed all the threads. It's hard for you guys to make the pyra finish. The final part seems more and more difficult. You only want to give us a perfect pyra.
What to do now is waiting your news and my pyra.

I guess that's the power of this project they take al their pandora experience and notice which things might end up to be crucial. There will of course pop-up some flaws of one kind or the other but it won't be because of the effort that the likes ED, nikolaus and notaz put in.
Hope the software side will be as exciting as it was on the pandora :)

Reading the A few Colors and Packages (with a poll!) news thread, I believe the box is planned to be made with unbleached environment friendly paper.
So I guess we talk about a monochromatic fancierisation here.
Like on an Amazon packaging but more elaborated ...

Back