GamesCom, Shoulderbuttons and Heating

Still looking for feedback on the idea.  Anyone?
Well, it definitely wouldn't work on the Pandora, as the roll of LCD cable goes through there, and would be crimped and wrecked at the junction between the two hinge parts (or, if the hinge hole was smaller and offset similarly so that it didn't move other than twist, it'd be too tight for the cable to get through). I don't know if the Pyra's slimmer video cable will be more able to cope with this challenge, but given the historic video cable problems ED's had, I'd hesitate before adding any more obstacles.

Still looking for feedback on the idea.  Anyone?
Well, it definitely wouldn't work on the Pandora, as the roll of LCD cable goes through there, and would be crimped and wrecked at the junction between the two hinge parts (or, if the hinge hole was smaller and offset similarly so that it didn't move other than twist, it'd be too tight for the cable to get through). I don't know if the Pyra's slimmer video cable will be more able to cope with this challenge, but given the historic video cable problems ED's had, I'd hesitate before adding any more obstacles.
Sure it would.  I'm not changing the inside diameter or construction of the hinge holes themselves - just moving the position of the hinge up and back into what is now empty space and plastic.  It's just changing the shape of the 'hump' into a trapezoidal wedge and off-setting the hinge into that space.

Yes, this would make the upper rear hinge area 'less round' and 'more square'.  But - it may be worth doing so if it adds a precious mm or two around the upper shoulder buttons.

I was thinking the two squares were microphones.
Maybe, but why would there be two, and why would they be located next to power and those keys?  Also, didn't ED say we had 2 LEDs in addition to the logo?  I will check the PCB in a bit.
I just looked at a bunch of pictures  :p and found that in the close up that shows us that chip you can also see, albeit somewhat difficultly, that on either side of the top center key the squares are LEDs, as well as one above that key.

post-1-0-32618500-1406479444.jpeg

"LED-L" below the left one, "LED-R" above the right one, and "LED-" something under where the power button/key will be.  That means:

And meybe, whe can also use a RGB LED under the "Pyra" Button
Edit: Power in this case, though, not Pyra button.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quick suggestion from here(probably completely impractical), if the open lid is blocking access to the shoulder buttons would it be possible to extrude the case out a little further at the back at those two points and place the buttons there instead? In my minds eye I see the top part of those extruded sections curving upwards to hold the screen in place at its most opened position. (Apologies if I'm not explaining it well, I'm just brainstorming here! )

^ that reminds me; It was suggested previously that the new case will be fashioned to be more ergonomic. Rounded down corners of the base etc. All the pictures I seen of the prototype cases only show the same overly boxy bottom. Is this going to be implemented in a later prototype or was this idea scrapped? Because right now it just sounds to be less comfortable to use. I really wouldn't hate it if the pyra was a little more rounded in the hands. 

Dos this mean: The Buttons, which u used to power up the Device, also shows the Batterie Load Level??

This is an interesting solution, asyou ditnt need a Label for the LED then..

On the Pandora, there also wherend labels on the LEDs and Ports ...

Ust wondered, how the Keyboard Backlight will be made, but now i found out there just soldered on the Main PCB..

Dos this mean: The Buttons, which u used to power up the Device, also shows the Batterie Load Level??
I am not sure, but I think all the RGB LEDs can be controlled via software, so it should be possible.

On the Pandora, there also wherend labels on the LEDs and Ports ...
Like I said, the LEDs on Pyra should be controllable via software, so it would be not better to label them since you can use them for whatever you want, including a light show (I believe this was mentioned as a kind of startup test or something with the dev board and prototypes).

Has anyone thought of this? Just take the shoulder buttons at their current length, and turn little squares at the end of them into extra buttons. No extra space needed, the only compromise is that the triggers are smaller length-wise. shouldertriggers.png

Oooh - just had a thought and it was a painful one.

Instead of two or four shoulder button triggers - have two two-stage shoulder button triggers.

Half press triggers L1, Full press triggers L1+L2.

OK, bad idea.

I still prefer moving the hinge back & up (and extending the plastics near the hinge to do so) giving a few more mm to the shoulder buttons.

Next?

Has anyone thought of this?
Yes, this has been mentioned many times.

Half press triggers L1, Full press triggers L1+L2.
Interesting idea, but doesn't seem easy to implement or very useful for games that might require heavy use of all shoulders.

I still prefer moving the hinge back & up (and extending the plastics near the hinge to do so) giving a few more mm to the shoulder buttons.
I want to express my support of testing this option if possible.  This may help regardless of the solution, such as the suggestions for the diagonal buttons. 

ED, an example of a prefab GSM antenna sticker: http://www.adafruit.com/products/1991

Probably a lot more out there but for some reason gsm antenna booster sticker are popular and hide good results(these really do _not_ work btw. for anyone that's becoming interested).
I have seen the ones that don't have wires and always figured that if they did anything they would most likely shield the internal antenna.  I don't know how they are supposed to work, so my guess doesn't mean anything.

One more photo from the booth, you can see the Pandora connected to a screen just like the Pyra. Pyra (devboard!) on a screen looked like a pc, resolution was nice and responded like a fast pc (even with emulators running).

I have seen the ones that don't have wires and always figured that if they did anything they would most likely shield the internal antenna.  I don't know how they are supposed to work, so my guess doesn't mean anything.
True, if magic could give better results everyone would use it.

booth4.JPG

One more photo from the booth, you can see the Pandora connected to a screen just like the Pyra. Pyra (devboard!) on a screen looked like a pc, resolution was nice and responded like a fast pc (even with emulators running).
KDE?  This is something small that would really make me happy, especially if it doesn't impact performance of other things I will be using.

This is far from the only product sold with such silly claims. 

It would be nice to see video of the booth if possible, but I guess you do not have the equipment on you. 

I would prefer CDE. Or MATE with Compiz.
I will be using a variety, but until I figure out what will work best for Pyra I can use KDE.  CDE will be there for fun, if nothing else.  Compiz was cool several years ago, but eventually it felt like it was getting in the way too much for me.  I still like some little things now and then, but I had a tendency to go a bit overboard.

Well, hopefully like a regular computer you can install whatever you like. CDE is the most productive for me personally.

As long as the Pyra can handle the kind of stuff ED throws at the dev board I should be content.

It has been so long since I used CDE I can't recall how productive I was.  Often I get work more done now without a gui.

Back