GamesCom, Shoulderbuttons and Heating

The green case didn't fit thigh around the ports on the back, I think maybe they left some room or introduced some manual labor to make them fit correctly.

This case was complete so there weren't any case parts missing (obviously other parts are not there).

(wow, ED's fast :) it is indeed playstation1, not 2, it's two playstation ones)
Well, I can always wish...
We've seen stuff being improved on the pandora making unplayable games playable, we'll wait and see how hard people can push the Pyra hardware.

The green case didn't fit thigh around the ports on the back, I think maybe they left some room or introduced some manual labor to make them fit correctly.

This case was complete so there weren't any case parts missing (obviously other parts are not there).

We've seen stuff being improved on the pandora making unplayable games playable, we'll wait and see how hard people can push the Pyra hardware.
Maybe we can push it hard enough to melt the case.  :p  

Maybe we can push it hard enough to melt the case.  :p
Well, who needs a case anyways :p

-Glyph Reader

So...if it can run two ps1 emulators, it must be able to run one ps2 emulator...if my math is correct or erm...yes! :huh:

Normally, I'd say yes, you could run PS2, but the issue is the complexity of that Emotion Engine doohickey. So more like 10 PS1's.

Or just ignore the emotion engine :D

About the case: Not all of Nikolaus latest changes had been incorporated into the case yet, so we had to manually cut it open a bit more :)

Nice Pictures, ..

The Shoulderbuttons ditnt look that unconfortable to mee..

Is the Screen on the Green One Working yet or just a Dummy??

And is the Stylus just in the Both Trawer to not being lost, or just not developt jet??

Seems like there are no LED Lite Pipes on the Hinge, but mybe this was planed, as the Pyra have enought LEDs..

Sad i cant be on the Gamescom, but maybe according to the trafic on the entrance..

Mybe on the next fosdem or something..

the issue is the complexity of that Emotion Engine doohickey.
I don't care if my PS2 games have emotions.  If you remember, Data lacked emotions for a long time and seemed to do just fine, and he was far more complex than a PS2.

About the case: Not all of Nikolaus latest changes had been incorporated into the case yet, so we had to manually cut it open a bit more
Ok, cool.  My first thought was "Damn those clumsy people, don't they know that is a prototype case that is needed to test stuff.  Someone went and broke it, so what will the guys do now".  There was/is also some envy, because they got to mess with the cases.  I attribute that to the green case.

Nice Pictures, ..

The Shoulderbuttons ditnt look that unconfortable to mee..

Is the Screen on the Green One Working yet or just a Dummy??

And is the Stylus just in the Both Trawer to not being lost, or just not developt jet??

Seems like there are no LED Lite Pipes on the Hinge, but mybe this was planed, as the Pyra have enought LEDs..

Sad i cant be on the Gamescom, but maybe according to the trafic on the entrance..

Mybe on the next fosdem or something..
The top shoulder buttons aren't comfortable when the screen is flipped open flat, at least for me. I put a big part of my finger on the top of the device, but it works better if you put in on the side and only use the tip of your finger.

The green case is just a prototype printed case, maybe the LCD is working but no other parts are available to make it actually work.

Don't think they made a stylus yet, just like any other parts. I think they printed the case, made the mainboard + (unpopulated) cpu-board and put in a LCD than put it all together so you have a feeling what it will look like.

If you still want to go you might be able to get in after 14:00, they sell extra tickets. But FOSDEM will early next year I think, maybe it is already assembled and fully working at that moment.

Wasn't that the big PS2 advertising slogan? PS2 games are so real because of that "Emotion Engine"? ^^ It sounds like the "Blast Processing" slogan of the Sega Megadrive back then in the early 90's. :D
About the case: Not all of Nikolaus latest changes had been incorporated into the case yet, so we had to manually cut it open a bit more :)
The prototype cases are still looking a little bit to "sharp" for my taste. ;) The often criticized sharp edges are still present (top sides of the keyboard case part), I hope these can be made better with that overall design. Battery cover also seems to be not changed yet.I also hope this is not the final shoulder button solution, if you find the time, maybe check some of the suggested variants here, including my own humble sketches, maybe these give some more ideas for the actual design. ^^"

However, the actual booth and presentations are looking perfect, I'm sure you will catch alot of attention with Pandora and Pyra. Audience seems to willingly adopt this "weird" Handhelds pretty quickly. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems the most likely option atm is using the same design for the stylus as Pandora.  I don't know if I was told this, or I am just assuming.

I think the logo on the lid and the 2 squares on either side of the power button are the new locations of (RGB) indicator LEDs.

I was thinking the two squares were microphones.
Maybe, but why would there be two, and why would they be located next to power and those keys?  Also, didn't ED say we had 2 LEDs in addition to the logo?  I will check the PCB in a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
The prototype cases are still looking a little bit to "sharp" for my taste.
The top surface has to be flat, not rounded. If it were rounded as you prefer, there would be a gap between top of the keyboard area and the lid when closed, allowing debris in. This could be compensated by designing a deep rim around the screen, but that would look extremely clunky.

For the 3D Printed Prototypes, normaly also the Pandora Stylus, or a X Stylus should work..

And meybe, whe can also use a RGB LED under the "Pyra" Button: Green is Batterie Full, Blue is half, and Red is less then 10 % ..

Ditnt notice on the Pictures, that the Pyra Case its a bit damaged.., glad to hear it wasnt a Both Guest..

According to ED, the only thing now to finish is the CPU Board and the Batterie, and the Shoulderbuttons and Keymatt, so meybe, the Display dos work..

The top surface has to be flat, not rounded. If it were rounded as you prefer, there would be a gap between top of the keyboard area and the lid when closed, allowing debris in. This could be compensated by designing a deep rim around the screen, but that would look extremely clunky.
I have no problem with a little "gap", as long as the device feels comfortable in the hands. :)

Very cool - buttons on green case look about ideal.  It's the case lid that's getting in the way of the buttons -so...  lets move it?

Right now the cross section of the hinge is essentially an arc with the hinge dead center.

I propose the hinge plastics are changed to move the hinge up and back.  This will cause the lid to cam upward when opened and should lead to a few mm more space for fingers on the shoulder buttons.

Instead of:

/-------\

|       |

|   O   |

|       |

Maybe this:

|-----\

| O    \

|       \

|       |

By offsetting the hinge up and back it could effectively -raise- the LCD/case intersect by 2-3mm or more.  Yielding 2-3mm or so more room for the upper button.  It would also lift the display @ 2-3mm higher.

Thoughts?
Still looking for feedback on the idea.  Anyone?

That's not actually a terrible idea. You would still be able to play some games because there were a few that didn't use it at all.

I have no problem with a little "gap", as long as the device feels comfortable in the hands. :)
We will have to agree to differ on that, and I can respect your order of preference, just isnt the same as mine.

Back