Gamescom, sensor upgrade and other nice news

There won't be any special heatsink, it's a 0,5mm thick heatpad (similar to what the GPD XD has on the battery).
The OMAP5 was still produced as a mobile processor back then, so it shouldn't produce as much heat.

Any photos of it ED?

Also , a sort of question, probably deserves a sort of answer :) . Anyway, I was wondering, since the Pyra has an upgradeable SOC daughter board, it isn't unforseeable that a future more powerful SOC may generate a lot more heat. Yet the Pyra has no cooling provisions for such an event. Doesn't that make the SOC being replaceable a bit challenging for need of a better word, ie if a future SOC does turn out to generate a lot more heat to get all it's performance - which is very possible, the current cooling solution wont cater for it.

I'm sure you have thought about this, and I was wondering what your take on this is? Perhaps there's room in the Pyra you have left to allow for a DIY cooling upgrade?

Last edited:
perhaps the idea is to get the best chip that produces nearly the same watts as the omap5 ;)

BTW you can see the Booth in this video from Minute 6 on:
This video is absolutely horrible to watch, at least in my opinion. The whole feature of being in 360° gets nulled if the camera is shaky and the guy holding it turns on his own the whole time, I have to adjust the perspectice all the time if I want to focus on a single booth, and watching it without moving the perspective just makes it a blurry and still shaky video. What a gimmicky feature that could have been so much better.

A distorted mess in 360 degrees.
Do I get it right, that the far left and far right of the screen is actually "behind"?
This would explain why it's so disorienting.

Nice to see the animation.
But on the rest I agree with @Klumpen and @Agricola : the view is even a "needs to get used to"
MAYBE, if the guy would never rotate the cam and move slowly..

Hmm, didn't know that you can actually look around in the Youtube Player in these Videos, as I use smplayer + Video Assistant and there i get this
2016-08-23-235521_629x452_scrot.png

which is a bit better for Video Playing, while look around feature is better for still Images IMHO

Hmm, didn't know that you can actually look around in the Youtube Player in these Videos, as I use smplayer + Video Assistant and there i get this
View attachment 29076
which is a bit better for Video Playing, while look around feature is better for still Images IMHO
On my phone the youtube player doesn't let you look around, you just get the full video frame like that screenshot.

On my phone the youtube player doesn't let you look around, you just get the full video frame like that screenshot.
On mine, which is a relatively ancient one, I could look around when watching from a browser. That doesn't change the sad sitution of no one sitting at the table and checking out the Pyra, as seen in @lukey's pic. If I had been there, after I looked around a bit at everything else, ED would have had to chase me off with threats of injury or police to get me away from it. I would probably have waited for him to take a break or go somewhere else so I could sneak back. The only thing that would have sucked was not being able to download various software to try out.

Last edited:
I agree, I think kickstarter fear is an issue, more often people are less willing to get burnt (again) and want an physically existing item that many people are saying they are happy with and few are describing faults about.

That said in (basically) rescuing a project that could have easily died and looking after those he was able to - I think many here have confidence that where possible ED with "do the right thing"

Its possible a lot of people at Gamescon unless they were specifically coming to see the Pyra might not know of the details and past history so would see it as another nice idea that one day might happen...

Any photos of it ED?

Also , a sort of question, probably deserves a sort of answer :) . Anyway, I was wondering, since the Pyra has an upgradeable SOC daughter board, it isn't unforseeable that a future more powerful SOC may generate a lot more heat. Yet the Pyra has no cooling provisions for such an event. Doesn't that make the SOC being replaceable a bit challenging for need of a better word, ie if a future SOC does turn out to generate a lot more heat to get all it's performance - which is very possible, the current cooling solution wont cater for it.

I'm sure you have thought about this, and I was wondering what your take on this is? Perhaps there's room in the Pyra you have left to allow for a DIY cooling upgrade?

What about a water cooled add-on option?

xD

@codifies most of the stuff I would back on KS I tend to be months or years late to the game, as yesterday I found one that ended around 4 years ago (for this one, if I decide I want it I will just make it myself).

Except for certain custom or handmade (or, even better, both) items I no longer really purchase things before they are complete, as I have been burned one too many times on other types of things. There are always exceptions, and ED with the Pyra is a great example. He does this due to passion, and has shown that he can handle this type of project and is doing it for the right reasons. His openness and honesty are also something that is mostly unseen except in completely custom stuff, so even if it all fell through I would not be upset at him, as I would rather be supportive of him and those like him (shit happens, and I appreciate people trying to make stuff for "the rest of us"). I would probably send him MORE money for future projects when I can, with no expectation of getting anything back, and offer word of mouth advertising of whatever he is working on or selling.
Someone that made some custom items for me continuously lied and tried to screw me and many others over as he became to greedy, I did as much as I could to make his actions known, and he is now banned from eBay and has such a bad reputation that he will probably not be able to sell to his intended customers again. Eventually I did receive my items, which were hastily thrown together and barely resembled what I commissioned, yet there are others where he ran off with their money, probably around tens of thousands of dollars.
My point is that there are some of us that would rather see people do new and creative things honestly, and, while we may not be the majority, if you get enough of us together we can probably have enough influence to make it worthwhile to do things in a responsible and friendly way.

Thanks, @EvilDragon. Keep doing what you're doing. Same for some members of the community that also go above and beyond.

Now I just need to wait Two Months.

Last edited:
was anyone able to compare how TILER works compared to the rotator chip? it seems good, right?

I have seen the TILER in action for 5 min, maximum... But from what I saw, it was nice and fast, and we had no synch issue like with SSD.

Last edited:
Would be fantastic to see some more videos, especially if devs have units now xD Love the size of the new screen when side by side with the Pandora too....

The refresh rate vid from ptitseb is great, really makes the ghosting obvious on the Pandora

Back