Release Fullspeed Amiga Emulation On Pandora!

When I bought my Pandora, it was because I read from Craig that it could run Amiga games fullspeed "comfortably". I'm sense this isn't going to happen now? When I say full speed, I mean ALL games FULL speed.....I'm currently quite miffed that we're still using the GP2X emulator.

still using the gp2x emulator...

still? They have barely released the unit yet...

It looks like almost all a500 games are full speed now with uae4all.

50% speed does not tie up with Gnostic's comments above, nor the AGA video from ages ago, but it's all subjective so far.

Puae is still WIP, although I don't think Gnostic is going to optimise it for specific hardware (i.e ARM).

At least we have a modern port & source of the best Amiga emu....

Yeah it's early days, UAE4ALL does like Silver said runs pretty much all A500 games full speed and I love it :)

Puae, yes is very early build first release cut the guys some slack it's nice for a first release it's got AGA support which UAE4ALL does not atm.

Once it's tweaked a bit more it be sweat as. Patience people only 500 people have a Pandora and very few dev's have them.

hi guys, now that i think about it this morning there were some settings that Evildragon and I used to get better performance and I think the critical setting was a sound one.
Maybe sound_stereo_mixing_delay

If you dont find the setting in the gui look directly at the .uaerc file in the appdata/puae folder

Hey guys just been using UAE and Playing batman, was wondering if there is a setting to get rid of the flickering background when you move.

Pickle said:
hi guys, now that i think about it this morning there were some settings that Evildragon and I used to get better performance and I think the critical setting was a sound one.

If you dont find the setting in the gui look directly at the .uaerc file in the appdata/puae folder

Do you mean sound_latency?

sound_latency=x, default is 100 (ms)?

Last edited by a moderator:
P-UAE is nice! would love to see better control customization, not a complaint but I can only configure joystick emulation to up, down, left, right, and right ctrl but we cant press right ctrl on Pandora only Left

Its oh so close to full speed at 880Mhz on Turrican 2

Just thought I'd add I was using Kick 3.1

Try setting audio to 22050khz if you can... and maybe a frameskip might help. What CPU settings are you using? 68000 and kick3.1 or 68020 with kick3.1?

Perhaps you could test with CPU 68000, OCS and kick 3.1 and let me know how speedy it is then please (with audio ar 22050khz). If that's useable (even with a frameskip) then setting up a virtual hard drive and loading games from it should make the gaming experience a lot more fun, I can guide you on how to do this if you want to PM me.

mvickers03 said:
P-UAE is nice! would love to see better control customization, not a complaint but I can only configure joystick emulation to up, down, left, right, and right ctrl but we cant press right ctrl on Pandora only Left

R-Trigger is Right Ctrl. So dpad + R as firebutton is the only sensible option PUAE currently provides for Pandora-users.

But Turrican II already runs fullspeed (frameskip 0 and perfect sound) with UAE4All at the Pandora's default speed. The controls are also much better. Use the 2nd control method and autofire, then you have X to jump, A to single shoot, Y to activate autofire and B for powerlines (and transformation).
Actually you can just leave autofire (push Y once) on all the time.
You can still use single fire (hold single fire to use Turrican's laser beam) when you need it as it interrupts the autofire as long as you press it (A). Very comfortable.

silver said:
Pickle said:

Do you mean sound_latency?

sound_latency=x, default is 100 (ms)?

Aha, no you don't you do mean: sound_stereo_mixing_delay - default appears to be 0: sound_stereo_mixing_delay=0

Can't find any documentation on this, so not sure what appropriate values are. Incidentally for anyone with a Pandora, other settings in the config file that are likely to impact speed:

(I have no idea what is available in the GUI - below is an extract from a PUAE config file, with settings that should be reasonable fast unless I've missed something)

Code:
use_debugger=false
floppy_speed=800
sound_output=normal                     ; no need for exact
sound_bits=16                           ; could try 8, but doubt it would speed up and may well sound worse.
sound_channels=stereo
sound_stereo_separation=7
sound_stereo_mixing_delay=0             ; try 5? - found elsewhere on web...
sound_frequency=22050                   ; can't see 44100 is needed on portable speakers/headphones?
sound_interpol=none
sound_adjust=0
sound_latency=0				; used to have big impact in WinUAE years ago, no idea on this.
cachesize=2048
immediate_blits=true                    ; apparently faster than false
ntsc=false
chipset=aga
collision_level=none                    ; often not needed I believe, though some games might.
cpu_speed=max				; can also be integer 0-20. Asus EeePC users reported Max not best setting sometimes.
cpu_type=68ec020
cpu_compatible=false                    
cpu_cycle_exact=false                   ; have a feeling some of these cpu settings apply to 68000 only, not the 020 variants.
blitter_cycle_exact=false

No idea how the gfx settings apply to the Pandora (if the do) as I have no idea how it's going gfx - so I've ignore them for now - but scaling/linedoubling is probably being done in software which is not great (?).

Also from E-UAE docs:

Code:
finegrain_cpu_speed=<n> (default=N/A)

This option adjusts the relative speeds of the CPU and custom chip
  emulations just like supplying an integer value in cpu_speed= does, but it
  allows a more precise setting of the balance. The value <n> corresponds to
  the value supplied in cpu_speed= multiplied by 512.

Read a report that setting this to 2048 improved performance on a EeeePC, but sounds like it's same as cpu_speed.

john4p said:
mvickers03 said:

R-Trigger is Right Ctrl. So dpad + R as firebutton is the only sensible option PUAE currently provides for Pandora-users.

But Turrican II already runs fullspeed (frameskip 0 and perfect sound) with UAE4All at the Pandora's default speed. The controls are also much better. Use the 2nd control method and autofire, then you have X to jump, A to single shoot, Y to activate autofire and B for powerlines (and transformation).
Actually you can just leave autofire (push Y once) on all the time.
You can still use single fire (hold single fire to use Turrican's laser beam) when you need it as it interrupts the autofire as long as you press it (A). Very comfortable.
Yeah your right :) I already tested UAE4all and is pretty good. just playing with PUAE, I try all of them out. I belive PUAE will be the Emulator to use when it's a little faster. With HDD support ETC

Back