Release New Address Of Your Thumbs!

Last edited by a moderator:
Balzac2m said:
Rubber keys? Meh. I'm really hoping they are any good. I can't think of any device where rubber keys where any good. I surely hope so, but I really doubt there is a possibility to make it any good. Well, external BT-keyboards aren't that expensive.

edit: PoisonedV, this has nothing to do with acting. Not everyone has the time to read everything on the forums but if you can provide a link where this was said, I'd be happy.
I can't find a link, but in one of the countless tactile/how will the keyboards feel/etc responses it was said.
anyway, I'm happy. I have used both kinds and it won't be much different. The thing to remember is that there ARE gaming controls on it- keyboard probably wont be used much except for text input or a couple extra keys

also, new blogpost where this and more info was posted

mazza558 said:
So will there be a definite "click" when pressing the buttons on the keyboard mat down?
No, it will be silent - however you could 'emulate' a click in software if you wanted to.

I can't stand the click click click of keyboards especially in lectures etc. so the Pandora will be quite stealthy.

craigix said:
mazza558 said:
So will there be a definite "click" when pressing the buttons on the keyboard mat down?
No, it will be silent - however you could 'emulate' a click in software if you wanted to.

I can't stand the click click click of keyboards especially in lectures etc. so the Pandora will be quite stealthy.

But will you feel a click at all ? Like you, I don't see the point of having a noisy click as it can be emulated anyway, but I think a "small" feel of a depressed button is better than no feel at all (on some rubbish remote controls where keys tilt and can get stuck under the surrounding hard cover, you don't feel anything and that's not great to use I think)

Anyway, nice to see the progress on the keyboard side as well! I guess you won't show us the definitive layout anytime soon, which is understandable seeing the amount of noise/posts a few months back on this subject (and I missed all the fun arriving in the game only in september ^^)
[edit] Btw well done for keeping the "next weekend" promise despite your keyboard supplier delay ;)

I seriously want to play some AGI games on the Pandora. Completed Pandora soon!

craigix said:
EvilDragon said:
mfk said:
Olexxy said:
I think a "small" feel of a depressed button is better than no feel

We like that feel, you'll get that feel. ;)
How does the first prototype mat feel? Does it work well? :D

It's on it's way to Mike so he can build the first full unit later this week.

Oh hells yeah :pandora1:

craigix said:
What you are seeing here, as others have said, is a bare membrane for the whole unit.

They Dpad & ABXY buttons are not there (they are separate bits of plastic), the actual keys have a second coating which isn't shown here made from hard plastic (just like your phone - in most cases) then the letters are printed on top of that.

We did think about using separate keys but the assembly and size issues stop that pretty much right away. The design you are seeing means easy assembly and modding for you all - and very little to go wrong.

Thanks for clearing that up... I don't care what the keypad is made off but for button bashing the abxy really needs to be plastic imo.

can't wait to see a finished keypad.

craigix said:
It's on it's way to Mike so he can build the first full unit later this week.
I hope you sent it 1st class recorded and insured :p

Good news though! :D can't wait to see the final item. :lol:

I think it will probably be a slight air puff kind of feel, if you have a calculator with a rubber mat and hardened buttons, that will be very similar to the Pandora

Also, is prototype mat the correct wording here? Whenever I hear prototype, I think early Alpha. Like this keyboard mat is just to make sure everything is green and than the big batch order is placed with the hardened tops and graphics and all that jazz right?

So after we hear the 'all clear' from the completed Pandora, the choo-choo can start rolling?

craigix said:
What you are seeing here, as others have said, is a bare membrane for the whole unit.

They Dpad & ABXY buttons are not there (they are separate bits of plastic), the actual keys have a second coating which isn't shown here made from hard plastic (just like your phone - in most cases) then the letters are printed on top of that.

We did think about using separate keys but the assembly and size issues stop that pretty much right away. The design you are seeing means easy assembly and modding for you all - and very little to go wrong.
Oh, I know exactly what to expect then :)

My xbox 360 remote control (the limited edition ones that came with launch 360's) have the A B X Y buttons exactly how you described it. No risk of the keys getting stuck because the keys shape don't twist or bend slightly under pressure thanks to the solid top layer. Fingers don't easily grip onto the buttons when you slide your finger over them, but pushing the buttons down still feel very rubbery, with barely a 'click' feel (not talking about the sound, just the feel).

I hope there is a more tactile 'click' when pushing the keys, cause if we're going to speed type with our thumbs, its needed :p

Phawx said:
Also, is prototype mat the correct wording here? Whenever I hear prototype, I think early Alpha. Like this keyboard mat is just to make sure everything is green and than the big batch order is placed with the hardened tops and graphics and all that jazz right?

So after we hear the 'all clear' from the completed Pandora, the choo-choo can start rolling?
Yes, this is to make sure it works, if all is ok then it's full steam ahead.

Back