Finishing up the hardware

CIMG5JQWgAA_hMK.jpg
This thing has more useful ports than my 17" Sony laptop :)

Is this a 3D print or an actual final case?

Does the bottom half of this base part have a different (slightly darker) color than the top part of the base? Is it going to stay like that?

Will the shoulder buttons have no label engraved or printed? E.g. L1, L2 or perhaps ⇧ ◆.
It's likely the latest print from the company Michael requisitions them from. The apparent difference in shade shown in the prototype's two "platters" shouldn't be any different though in the final product, whatever the tba color will be.     

Last edited by a moderator:
One USB Port is Blue, because its the USB3 "Plug" who dosnt have USB3, but also Contains the SATA Port ..

Nice to see everything fits there, and its also have the Wrist Wrap Compartment....

Hopefully also the Lid Part fits now, so ED can build the first working Prototyph when Nikolaus have finished the CPU Board..

The lid part needs one minor change but is finished apart from that.

The two different colors of the printed case are simply because one is polished (the lower part) and the other isn't (wasn't possible with the small keyboard holes).

Oh, the audio jack is on the backside? Crap... :(
No place to put it in the front with Cell modem Antennae and such in the way. The back seems to be the best other place. If it was on the sides having headphones plugged in would get in the way of holding it.

Well, of you play on the couch whit the pyra on your "stomach", than the Audiojack on the backside is way better, and when it sits on your desk and its connectet to your Hifi and your TV, then its also good on the backside..

On the front, a audiojack would cause to many noise because the radio chip

It could be worse, I see no problem with that. Better than sideways, isn't it? ;)

Case is looking good so far, let's hope all is going well with the injection mold tooling, this is serious stuff compared to the current case development. ^^"

No place to put it in the front with Cell modem Antennae and such in the way. The back seems to be the best other place. If it was on the sides having headphones plugged in would get in the way of holding it.
There was a guy on GP32X who used to go on a lot about how much GP2X screwed up putting the headphone port on the back. That paled in comparison to using it with the AC adapter plugged in, jutting out the side of the unit where you hold it. Worst design decision on the system by far.

Well, of you play on the couch whit the pyra on your "stomach", than the Audiojack on the backside is way better, and when it sits on your desk and its connectet to your Hifi and your TV, then its also good on the backside..
Also at the gym, on the treadmill, you can prop it up in the book holder without it getting in the way.

Nice!

This is the twitter caption for the above picture btw: "Finished backside of the Pyra, with all ports. The shoulder buttons work REALLY well, btw"
@ED Thanks for the update on the shoulder buttons, I had been wondering about that. :)

Does the bottom half of this base part have a different (slightly darker) color than the top part of the base? Is it going to stay like that?
Is it just me or is there something really appealing about those colours? I really like the stone texture effect, and wouldn't mind seeing either version as the colour of the finished product. (though I wouldn't have thought of it before I saw the image)

- Neelix

Very nice. I think the shoulder buttons should be black on all units irrespective of the case colour, the face buttons too.

And I still really want a Dark red Pyra.

At some point my mind just fixated on the idea, and a bright colour makes it stand out from the generic and multitudinous hand-held's.

Is it just me or is there something really appealing about those colours? I really like the stone texture effect, and wouldn't mind seeing either version as the colour of the finished product. (though I wouldn't have thought of it before I saw the image)
I also kind of like the stone grey coloration, at least for a special edition Pyra.  :)

It's fine. I like it on the back. :)
It would be more practical to have it on the place of the HDMI port, as well as to move the volume controls as close as it is possible.

Very nice. I think the shoulder buttons should be black on all units irrespective of the case colour, the face buttons too.

And I still really want a Dark red Pyra.

At some point my mind just fixated on the idea, and a bright colour makes it stand out from the generic and multitudinous hand-held's.
A separate set of recessed L/R is what my people want.

I didn't really go deep into the news threads before, but did I miss something about using the USB3 lanes for something but leaving them for future compatibility? (And the second microUSB)

Also at the gym, on the treadmill, you can prop it up in the book holder without it getting in the way.
Usaly, i use my Ipod Nano and Bluetooth Headphone on Gym Dreadmill..
Its works way better

75 % of the CPU Board is ready :)

Nice!

This is the twitter caption for the above picture btw: "Finished backside of the Pyra, with all ports. The shoulder buttons work REALLY well, btw"
@ED Thanks for the update on the shoulder buttons, I had been wondering about that. :)

- Neelix
I think a Pyra with that dark grey casing colour on the lower casing there would definitely be very eyecatching, especially with the logo lighting up, hopefully it might an impression of lava coming out from rock or a dragon's egg hatching! I'd never considered that colour for casing before, I'd pretty much assumed it'd probably be a dark red as well

I didn't really go deep into the news threads before, but did I miss something about using the USB3 lanes for something but leaving them for future compatibility? (And the second microUSB)
It was first announced here: http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/17852-pictures-for-the-weekend/

Then clarified a tad here in a later post: http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/17852-pictures-for-the-weekend/#entry375767 
It might be too late to blame the idea in any way, but I can imagine some USB3 devices being unhappy about this.

(And what about the second microUSB?)

Back