It's the Matrix!

Apart from that, I'm happy with the case and hope to make you a video soon
 Can  you share pics of the case before the video ? :)
Well... yes, but I'm not sure it makes much sense, as they look like the 3D rendered pics (it's the same model ;) )

What's left is to write the driver for the chip
How much work does that require ? (and approximately how long?)
 A quick driver that just does the rotation shouldn't be too much work.

But a full featured driver (which the system can use for scaling on-the-fly, etc.) would take a bit longer.

But that can be added with future firmware upgrades.

and then it's not that far off the mass production!
What is the status of the wifi chip where there were several months of leadtime before getting your hands on those ? Did you find a supplier that can provide some faster?
Not yet 100% decided, but TI offers Wifi Modules as well now with a more recent chipset.

We can get them, but they're a bit bigger, they would fit with a bit more work on the PCB though.

So nothing fully decided yet, but we won't have to wait 40 weeks ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Not yet 100% decided, but TI offers Wifi Modules as well now with a more recent chipset.
Has this module been used in any other devices or would be treading on new waters?
Hopefully performance is good on it.

That's all for today.

I'll try to read the keyboard layout discussion soon and also make a video with the printed case.

See you soon!
There is a lot to read and a whole lot to think about.  In the end, the decision is yours to make.  Several board members have taken the time to dream/invent/tweak/reinvent potential solutions.  There are a lot of  very good ideas from very smart people to consider.

Each of the proposed layouts emphasizes different elements in design.  

Usability/versatility and first glance aesthetics tend to pull the designs in opposing directions.  

Some try to ensure easy DosBox/QEMU usage, others consider directly supporting those two applications as too compromising to the design for other applications.

Most of the designs try to ensure usability with and without having the shoulder buttons accessible.  A few do not.  If the Pyra is to have a dock, or if desktop use is envisioned, being able to use it without access to the shoulder buttons may be important.

For dealing with any language other than English, there are many approaches.  Compose, dead key diacritics, hidden and explicit on-keyboard mapping of the additional characters needed are all common solutions.

The majority of the keyboard designers have concluded that a true AltGr Eurpoean desktop keyboard type system is simply not possible within the constraints of the platform.  There must be Fn/Meta/Whatever key style functionality in order to handle the needed secondary mappings.  If the Fn/Meta/Whatever key is going to be called AltGr, then it is in conflict with the need to have a right Alt key, resulting in 3-4 keys with names starting with Alt (Left Alt, Right Alt, Keyboard AltGr, Shoulder AltGr).  Alternative solutions to calling it AltGr have been proposed.

When reviewing the proposed layouts, you're likely to have moments where you think, "Wow - that's really weird.  Why did they do that?"  When someone has 'something weird' there is usually a pretty solid reason for it.  If you have questions about any of the proposed designs, please ask them - we're all trying to help.

Is the Wifi Ship to built in the CPU Board, or in the Mainboard??

And werend there other Parts which are Missing?? Or was this just the Wlan Ship??

I remember building a Mold will take 2 Months, so Pyra in Summer should be no Problem..

Are you going (to Scarboroght Fair) to the Gamescom whit the Pyra Prototyph ??

Not really related to this post. But for those of us that backed the ICP2, were offered a discount off a pyra preorder as compensation for the loss from link.

I've read/heard that the initial production run will be exclusive to dragonbox.de and that ithic.com and other official distributors will get thiers later.

I guess I already know the answer before asking, but if I want to take advantage of that discount I won't be able to get in on the initial batch of pyras?

Figured I'd ask now while things are still relatively calm around here.
We asked Ed before and I think he said that it's planned. I'm an icp2 backer also and want a Pyra come release day if possible.

Nice one ED - good to see you're making progress, and I look forward to more to come in the near future.

BTW, do you want help with the driver development?  I'm currently looking for work and I'd like nothing more than to work on Pyra-related stuff full-time. 

Not really related to this post. But for those of us that backed the ICP2, were offered a discount off a pyra preorder as compensation for the loss from link.

I've read/heard that the initial production run will be exclusive to dragonbox.de and that ithic.com and other official distributors will get thiers later.

I guess I already know the answer before asking, but if I want to take advantage of that discount I won't be able to get in on the initial batch of pyras?

Figured I'd ask now while things are still relatively calm around here.
We asked Ed before and I think he said that it's planned. I'm an icp2 backer also and want a Pyra come release day if possible.
sweet, thanks

The only changes I had were related to the LCD cable (to make it easier to assemble the unit)
You've no idea how good an idea that sounds to me.  Putting that LCD cable into the Pandora PCB is always a fraught operation I find.

Other than that, the two LEDs on the LCD board?  I note one seems to be yellow and the other blue - are they in fact one red/green LED and one blue one, to combine to form an RGB variable light source?  Why so far apart if that's the case?

Oh?  Maybe I'm misremembering, but I thought the lid logo was only going to be backlit with one colour, whereas here we have two leds showing different colours (unless neither is an RGB LED for prototyping sake).

Oh?  Maybe I'm misremembering, but I thought the lid logo was only going to be backlit with one colour, whereas here we have two leds showing different colours (unless neither is an RGB LED for prototyping sake).
Maybe due to the size the logo two LEDs are needed so its lit evenly ? If thats the case I guess they either just showed "random" colors because: testing. Or they are just single color ones because of an worldwide RGB-Led shortage and Nikolaus had to make due. But I doubt that for various reasons, with on beeing that you can't fully test functionality if you don't use RGB-Leds, which would make it pretty useless at that stage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back