Final preorders, action required

I'm torn between 3 of the options:

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

I'd love to get a 1GHz unit as fast as possible, but I do not want to pay more than 100 EUR / 85GBP / 130USD for it.

Money is kind of tight for now, so I wouldn't be able to afford to pay much more than that for an upgrade, so this is the only upgrade option I could go with. (I wouldn't mind having the most capable Pandora available).

I do not want to pay anything else. I want to wait until it's my turn and get a GC spec (512MB) Pandora without any further payment.

Of course, this option wouldn't cost me any extra, but I don't know if the 1GHz Pandora might be able to do anything the GC spec (512MB) Pandora can't, or anything the 1GHz unit just does noticeably better.

Don't Panic guys, I'd rather wait for a more powerful edition of the Pandora, or a Pandora2. Put me at the front of that queue! (Be aware a Pandora2 may never happen!).

Well, since I've been waiting this long, simply dumping what I've already paid towards a pre-order for a front position queue Pandora2-type device would be a great option. (I'm a fairly patient guy, so I'm willing to wait for a good thing, not that the current Pandoras aren't already good things, but you know what I mean).

Last edited by a moderator:
Ideally we would like everyone to upgrade to some extent, obviously.

Please consider that, the 1Ghz is a really nice machine. It will allow Ed to wrap things up so much quicker.
 Well, I already answered the survey, then started reading this thread... but this comment did catch my attention enough for me to register and post, so:

It was definitely not obvious to me that it´s beneficial for the project to have as many upgrades as possible, if they are sold at less than production price.

What is the reasoning behind this comment?
It's very simple really. All the money that was paid for the original pre-order run ran out long ago. Currently delivery of all the old pre-orders are being funded out of new sales or donations. If you don't upgrade then ED has to cover the full price of production, for whichever unit you end up with, whereas if you do upgrade then you are covering part of this cost.
- Neelix

I'd love to get a 1GHz unit as fast as possible, but I do not want to pay more than 100 EUR / 85GBP / 130USD for it.

Money is kind of tight for now, so I wouldn't be able to afford to pay much more than that for an upgrade, so this is the only upgrade option I could go with. (I wouldn't mind having the most capable Pandora available).

I do not want to pay anything else. I want to wait until it's my turn and get a GC spec (512MB) Pandora without any further payment.

Of course, this option wouldn't cost me any extra, but I don't know if the 1GHz Pandora might be able to do anything the GC spec (512MB) Pandora can't, or anything the 1GHz unit just does noticeably better.

Don't Panic guys, I'd rather wait for a more powerful edition of the Pandora, or a Pandora2. Put me at the front of that queue! (Be aware a Pandora2 may never happen!).

Well, since I've been waiting this long, simply dumping what I've already paid towards a pre-order for a front position queue Pandora2-type device would be a great option. (I'm a fairly patient guy, so I'm willing to wait for a good thing, not that the current Pandoras aren't already good things, but you know what I mean).
Yikes!  I wouldn't have even thought that "option #3" would even be an option at this point.  To opt to extend into another preorder queue hell for a futuristic product that Craig himself said wouldn't happen...  I guess it's too late fix the emails that have already gone out, but I'm still kind of shocked by that one (if indeed this is a real option in the recent survey).  My advice to the OP Team would be to clear out all of the various queues and deal with investors/debt issues and then deal with the possibility of a future Pandora version.  No extending the queues into infinity...that's madness to me.*

*The views expressed in this post are just a small, newbie's opinions upon the current state of affairs and do in no way reflect any official stance on said situation...

The personal details isnt what anyone asked for, its numbers.

As we all know the original preorder queue isnt all that is queued with you craig.

Also provide numbers for upgrade to premium 1GHz, all variations thereof. Cancellations, of which there are two, refunded and non refunded.

How many chipped in for the dev fund, how many ordered cables.

Number of returns.

Fill in the numbers, and when you run the tallies on the data from the email poll, tell us how many from each opted for what. It will be a nice thought schematic to draw out with arrows everywhere.
Please, don't push it. One thing at a time. Guys are trying hard to solve it. It is all what we have, let's see what are results of survey and following "final solution".  

Ideally we would like everyone to upgrade to some extent, obviously.

Please consider that, the 1Ghz is a really nice machine. It will allow Ed to wrap things up so much quicker.

Well, I already answered the survey, then started reading this thread... but this comment did catch my attention enough for me to register and post, so:

It was definitely not obvious to me that it´s beneficial for the project to have as many upgrades as possible, if they are sold at less than production price.

What is the reasoning behind this comment?
It's very simple really. All the money that was paid for the original pre-order run ran out long ago. Currently delivery of all the old pre-orders are being funded out of new sales or donations. If you don't upgrade then ED has to cover the full price of production, for whichever unit you end up with, whereas if you do upgrade then you are covering part of this cost.

- Neelix
@MrConfusion:

Agree with Neelix.  But there's more: this is *survey*. It means "let's find out how are we standing, and how much more money people could/would invest."

100€ is probably not enough. But, if survey starts with e.g. 200€, then you will post: "How rude! Isn't it too much already???"

So, let's not be petty. Give it time to analyze data, and to adjust it to most possible solution.

Yikes!  I wouldn't have even thought that "option #3" would even be an option at this point.  To opt to extend into another preorder queue hell for a futuristic product that Craig himself said wouldn't happen...  I guess it's too late fix the emails that have already gone out, but I'm still kind of shocked by that one (if indeed this is a real option in the recent survey).  My advice to the OP Team would be to clear out all of the various queues and deal with investors/debt issues and then deal with the possibility of a future Pandora version.  No extending the queues into infinity...that's madness to me.*

*The views expressed in this post are just a small, newbie's opinions upon the current state of affairs and do in no way reflect any official stance on said situation...
I know what you mean, but too many people have asked for this for it not to be an option. I've made it very clear it may never happen.

I do understand why people may be offering to get in that boat. 

I haven't filled it out yet. Do people who offer more for the upgrade get their Pandora first? Like within the month?

If you are willing to upgrade, the option is available for 270EUR and it will be shipped out immediately.

If you are willing to upgrade, the option is available for 270EUR and it will be shipped out immediately.
But what about the orders from last year for a 1ghz? I'm going to but something here just doesn't seem right ;)
There are only a handful left to ship, and they are being shipped.

I ordered two Pandoras originally and converted my order to a single 1 ghz model last year. I haven't received the email yet, but I also don't know if I was supposed to.

Great to hear that things are moving again,
Since money is really tight around my place and it was all I could do to over the last few years to leave my money in this project (hoping it supported it)

the only 2 options for me are:

I do not want  I would like to but  can not pay anything else. I want to get it as fast as possible though, so I'm fine getting the original 256MB spec Pandora
(what you originally ordered) - in the new case, with new LCD cable + other new fixes. (we have limited stock of these, but can ship them quickly.)

I do not want  I would like to but  can not pay anything else. I want to wait until it's my turn and get a GC spec (512MB) Pandora without any further payment. 

Actually I would be just fine by getting what I originally ordered. But my big Question is - will anything still run on it?
Will the newest firmware work with the 256MB version?
If not how can I figure out what will run and what not?
The same goes for the  http://repo.openpandora.org/ lot to download there - but how to tell if it will run on the 256MB version or if it will only run on the 1GHz Version?
The big problem I see here is that back when I ordered the 256MB Version all of the Software development was aimed at that version... But now that there is a 1GHz version out is there any development going on that will still run on the 256MB version?

Would be very nice if some one could point out:

What will run on the 256MB Version
What will run on the 512MB Version

And what will only run on the 1GHz Version

Looking forward to get some helpful feedback  

I have an original. Newest firmware runs fine. I have no trouble with anything except for drastic and ppsspp, which need the extra horsepower of newer units for now.

@leathco
Thanx for the fast replay.
What is: "drastic and ppsspp" don't understand this therm...?
So the 256MB will ship whit the newest firmware - and will arrive quickly? (How long is quickly?) 

DraStic is a Nintendo DS emulator.   PPSSPP is a PSP emulator. 

DraStic itself should run fine on the 256k unit, but some of the games benefit from the extra speed afforded by the 1GHZ unit.   

The same is true of Mupen64Plus,  the N64 emulator.

- Neelix

Would be very nice if some one could point out:

The extra RAM will help you if you plan on using the Pandora also for "Desktop stuff/multitasking", this can also be achieved via a swap file, but using "real" RAM is obviously better.

Having a newer Model then the 256MB one will also give you a little bit more Android compatibility as the gfx part of the soc got some error fixes.

As others already pointed out - emulators profit from the additional horsepower the 1Ghz Unit offers. That includes Drastic (NintendoDS), PPSSPP (Sony PSP), Mupen64Plus, DosBox and Qemu. As an example: Looking at IngoReis video from Fallout 1 (running in Qemu) the upgrade to 1 GHz upgraded the "play experience" from playable to almost full speed.

Edit: Also see the comparison chart in EDs shop

Just about everything will work fine on the original 256MB version. They overclock happily and safely to 1GHz (or thereabouts). All Pandora developers wish to fully support this version as much as possible. Most emulators and games run perfectly, at full speed.
The 512MB rebirth has extra RAM (only) and so can multi-task a little better. It may run huge bloated apps such as Firefox and LibreOffice a little better. As far as I know, no Pandora games or emulators need the larger RAM, so there is no advantage for gaming.

The 1GHz version has 512MB RAM and a higher clock speed, can overclock to 1.2GHz, and the GPU is faster. It will run the most demanding (or least optimized) games, apps, emulators faster. Android, DraStic, PPSSPP, Aquaria will work better. Many DS games are still not playable in DraStic. It can't sensibly emulate PS2 or Wii or Windows XP, can't play Crysis.

In short, every Pandora software works on any Pandora, but the 512MB can do multi-tasking / firefox tabs, and the 1GHz gives faster performance. Honestly there is not such a huge difference between the models, and they are all totally better than any other pocket gaming device.

The original Pandora with DraStic (and overclock) can run some DS games at full speed (or close), on the original Pandora, including Mario + Luigi through time, Yoshi's Island, New Super Mario Bros (for many of the levels). It runs all the PSX games I tried at full speed. It emulates Mario 64 at full speed, Zelda OOT is a bit slow but playable. It emulates SNES, Amiga, etc at full speed. My awesome game runs at full speed, 60Hz even ;)

Any Pandora offers unlimited hours of pocket retro and homebrew gaming, hifi audio, linux dev tools! and is fully elite.

You can tell I like <3 Pandora, since I write too much about it.

So the money tied to the existing parts doesn´t affect the equation in any way at all, or the parts are all used up?

Back