Annoying Questions... (regarding Preorders)

closer013

Still Fresh
OK, I'm buying a Pandora day one, but thats if there's going to be enough to go around. What are the chances of there being enough for all those with interest AND the preorder cost AND the final cost? Also how will preorders be handled? Will you have to pay the whole amount up front? Any info would be appreciated. Everyone talks about preorder this, preorder that, but I haven't seen a post asking about preorder pricing & structure...

If you're oly going to use it for personal use, and not develop stuff or hack it, it would be nice to wait until the 3000 batch.

*being nice*

The future is uncertain. Be patient. Answer will come when they come.

Seriously, we don't know yet. No official announcements have been made - when such information is available, it will be plastered all over this forum and openpandora.org.

Much of the talk of "Preordering" is wishful thinking. Nobody has said any such process will take place for sure.

You worry about running out on day one. Don't. 3000 units is more than you think it is. It will take more than a day or two for them to run out. And, if they do run out in a week - I can - based on the undeniable attraction of money - promise you that they *WILL* make more to supply the demand.

I really don't understand your question here: "What are the chances of there being enough for all those with interest AND the preorder cost AND the final cost?" It's like there were two or three different questions in your head - and ... well, this... whatever it is ... came out. I assume since Craig is a businessman, he made sure that the price he set would cover the cost of making the things and turn a profit. They won't run out of units because they aren't making enough money or something like that. The 3000 will go out. Whether or not their is a second run - that depends on how quickly the 1st run sells out. But, their cost will be more than covered if they sell all 3000 - which I'm sure they will - just not on the first day.

If, however, you were asking something like will 3000 be enough to give one to everyone who has contributed and to all the preorders - whether paid in full or just made a downpayment - again, it's a matter of business practice. You don't take more preorders than you know you will have. If - again, this is a big if - *IF* they take preorders, they won't take more than 3000 of them - unless they start making more immediately.

In other words - *if there is a preorder option - and *if* you take that option - you *will* get a Pandora. they won't take your money without giving you something in return - that's called stealing. And it's illegal in most countries.

Yrx said:
chad78 said:
It's illegal in most countries.
I guess no preordering is going to happen.

Bad quote alert! :D

they won't take your money without giving you something in return - that's called stealing. And it's illegal in most countries.

It's illegal to take someones money without giving them something in return. He didn't say it was illegal to allow pre-orders :)

Last edited by a moderator:
chad78 said:
In other words - *if there is a preorder option - and *if* you take that option - you *will* get a Pandora. they won't take your money without giving you something in return - that's called stealing. And it's illegal in most countries.
*sigh* I don't think that this project is anything but awesome and I never said anything about getting ripped off.
All I was trying to say is that at $330 a pop everyone who wants one should be able to get one and not have to worry about someone paying a preorder, having one held for them and then not purchasing it which could cause someone else to miss out.

closer013 said:
All I was trying to say is that at $330 a pop everyone who wants one should be able to get one and not have to worry about someone paying a preorder, having one held for them and then not purchasing it which could cause someone else to miss out.
Everyone who wants one will be able to get one. There will only be 3000 in the first batch, but that's only the first batch. When those sell out, they'll make another batch. Nobody who wants a Pandora is going to miss out - it's just a matter of some people wanting to be "first".

Squidge said:
It's illegal to take someones money without giving them something in return. He didn't say it was illegal to allow pre-orders :)
I know. I was tired, and that amused me... :lol:

Chip said:
closer013 said:
Everyone who wants one will be able to get one. There will only be 3000 in the first batch, but that's only the first batch. When those sell out, they'll make another batch. Nobody who wants a Pandora is going to miss out - it's just a matter of some people wanting to be "first".

I am under that impression too. What I'm worried about is not having cash for the first batch and that ends up being the only batch because of some lawsuit or something preventing anymore pandoras from being made. Far-fetched, I know, but it really bothers me I may not have the money to buy on day one.

anexanhume said:
Chip said:
closer013 said:

I am under that impression too. What I'm worried about is not having cash for the first batch and that ends up being the only batch because of some lawsuit or something preventing anymore pandoras from being made. Far-fetched, I know, but it really bothers me I may not have the money to buy on day one.

In which case don't you think you should be more concerned about Craig and all the guys who have poured so much time and effort into the project just to have their dreams shattered, than getting your grubby little mitts on one.

Besides, I don't see anybody filing a lawsuit against Pandora. This is a linux based UMPC. If the devs 'happen' to port a shed load of emulators to it then so what? It wouldn't exactly be the *first* device to have emulators running on it!

Where did all this paranioa from lawsuits come from. You haven't been following the Amiga scene recently by any chance? :p

Back