Faster delivery/upgrade - Craig's orders

Has anyone who registered their interest to upgrade via the form in Ed's thread actually received the follow-up email pointing them towards Craig's payment details? I received an upgrade confirmation email on the 9th of March, but nothing since then.

Yeah, Jacqueline sent me the followup a week or so later.

OK, I guess my upgrade got lost then. I'd better hurry up and upgrade directly before I fall too far behind!

Sorry craig, but try to be more realistic, even if the number shown in the "current status" were accurate he won't get it by the end of may and I tend to imagine hidden delay everywhere now...

Sorry craig, but try to be more realistic, even if the number shown in the "current status" were accurate he won't get it by the end of may and I tend to imagine hidden delay everywhere now...

Well, he didn't say he would get it, but that it would ship by the end of May if all goes as planned. Between shipping and customs, could add another month?. Eh, just pointing that out.

Factoring in hidden delays isn't realistic, it's pessimistic. If you had evidence (ie, something "real") that could demonstrate those delays are very likely, accounting for them would be realistic, but so far all we actually have is a superstitious "Two Months" gag borne of other unfortunate hidden delays.

What I'm saying is that just because delays have happened in the past doesn't mean that predicting delays to come is realistic: it is in fact the opposite.

Now it could be that the delays do happen, and the pessimistic prediction was correct, but that means that a pessimistic prediction was correct, not a realistic one, just as sometimes the optimistic prediction turns out to be correct.

I'd be surprised if there were any delays with the rest of this batch, Ed is right there keeping an eye on GC, so they are not going to pull a CC.

The parts are all there, the units are being built and shipped daily.

The people at Global Components really care about the success of this project and understand the great community behind this. They want to help us and do this the most logical way possible. My bets are on Global Components doing what they say they are going to do, not Murphy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Factoring in hidden delays isn't realistic, it's pessimistic. If you had evidence (ie, something "real") that could demonstrate those delays are very likely, accounting for them would be realistic, but so far all we actually have is a superstitious "Two Months" gag borne of other unfortunate hidden delays.

sorry, but they are delay everywhere and the pandora is no exception, the problem in the case of the pandora is not that delay happens, it is that they never had factored any delay margin in their estimations, so far most estimations posted by the team have been wrong. if there's less delay with other product/team it's just because they keep some margin for all theses unforseen delays. with the actual number published, if everything go well as planned it might be possible that his unit ships, factor in a margin for delay and it becomes highly improbable... I'dd be happy if you prove I'm wrong, but I doubt I will see that...

taking some reserve for delay is not pessimistic, imagining that you will get no delay is on the countrary highly optimistic.

sorry, but they are delay everywhere and the pandora is no exception
Irrelevant. A realistic prediction takes everything that is absolutely known into account. Can you say with 100% certainty that a delay will happen? If yes, then you factor that in and that becomes your realistic prediction. If you can't then you are giving a pessimistic prediction: it will take "X" long if things that we don't know happen.

The opposite is also true: predicting less time on the grounds that something good but unpredictable happens (even if these good, unpredictable things have happened a lot) is an optimistic prediction.

taking some reserve for delay is not pessimistic
Then you need a dictionary.

My package got attempted delivery today, it should be available for pick up tomorrow. Arg. I'm thinking about taking tomorrow off...

hi all hi craigx

i had my confirmation of classic preorder (feb09) upgrade off Jacqueline a month or more ago and she said i was mid 50's in the upgrade queue.is there any chance of an eta of my panny?

thanks

pz.

ps-hope.things going well

There seems to be a distinct lack of updates. are boards still being made?

My new-new queue position was reported as late sixties. An ETA would be nice. What's the highest queue position shipped to date? mid-forties from what I've read.

The production has not yet got to full speed, GC are still doing 100/week as far as I understand from Eds post today.

We're expecting 50 new units this week.

I've also been building up several units from returned/spare parts.

I understand 250/week will start soon, once a few more assembly issues are fixed.

This does not surprise me, people think the Pandora assembly to be easy, but I've been there and done that and it isn't,

3 people can build 60 units a day in perfect conditions - but one unit with a problem can take the time to make 5 units to

fix.

The work is also delicate and stressful. A drone worker cannot do this sort of work, it requires an understanding of consoles

and controls to know the system you're about to ship is 'right'.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't remember my order number but I was one of the people who pre-ordered. Had two of these now. The second one is better than the first but as I paid 200 quid for it I´d expect it to be at least stable.

Can't believe the new kernal is gonna killl the Amiga emu.

They are great toys though. PS 1 emu is ace.

Back