Release DooM 64 EX

ptitSeb

Serial Porter
Here is DooM 64 EX, a GLES port on the OpenPandora of the Port of DooM from the N64.

preview1.png
You will need the Doom64 N64 rom, to extract and consitute the doom64.wad and doomsnd.sf2 files to play this. You can either copy to appdata/doom64ex the data extracted by your mean, or just use the n64 rom and let your Pandora do the work.

The controls are setup for the Pandora (DualNub controls or DPad, Shoulder to shot and run, {A}/{B} to zoom in/out map, Space to have map, {X} to jump and {Y} to activate). FreeLook is activated also, but everything can be changed in the menu.

Game is fluid, with the notable exception of the Intro, where it's stutering (it's because of the sound, to many polyphony going on and fuildsynth can be cpu hungry with more than 64 voices for midi and 64 others for sfx).

The game is very dark, use "F11" to adjust gamma in-game.

History log
========

Build 07
----------

• Updated libs
  • Use batch mode of gl4es
Build 06
----------

• Rebuild using gcc 6.2
  • Updated libs
Build 05
----------

• Faster Fluidsynth build, making the intro smooth on a Gigahertz model.
  • New Nub mouse acceleration (disable if "noshouldermb", as a mouse is assumed them).
Build 04
----------

• Repackaged to fix the extraction of datas (broken on build 03).
Build 03
----------

• Simplified "Melting" transition (faster and hopefully more stable on CC)
  • Slightly faster sound (at the expense of some audio quality)
Build 02
----------

• Updated to latest sources
  • Switch from native GLES port to glshim version
Build 01
----------

• Initial build
  • Default config customized for Pandora
  • Port to GLES

For those interested, here is the diff: pandora_diff.tar.gz

Attachments

• pandora_diff.tar.gz
    18.1 KB · Views: 288
Last edited:
Thanks. I loved this game when it came out. I'll try it out tonight.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk

Thank You very much PtitSeb. To be honest i always wanted to play it on n64 but i"ve no chance yet. Im happy that we dont need cpu hungry emulation to run doom64 now. Thanks..

Awesome.    

Is this something that could be done with more roms?   I would especially be interested in seeing some of the Atari Jaguar roms set to run like this.  AVP and Iron Soldier, etc.   

Thanks for this!!!

Awesome.

Is this something that could be done with more roms? I would especially be interested in seeing some of the Atari Jaguar roms set to run like this. AVP and Iron Soldier, etc.

Thanks for this!!!
Forget about iron soldier from jag, Bob. On psx there's iron soldier 3 (the best version out there to play IS). Avp is nice but all we can do is to rip textures from avp and put em into hand crafted doom file (in freedoom.wad)

Wysyłane z mojego SK17i za pomocą Tapatalk 2

Hi,

I never had the opportunity to play DooM 64 before, so thank you ptitSeb for porting this engine to the Pandora :)

Cheers,

Magic Sam

The right analog movement (turn left/right) is too slow in my opinion. Otherwise a fantastic port!

The right analog movement (turn left/right) is too slow in my opinion. Otherwise a fantastic port!
You can adjust that in the option screen (or edit the config file). I find it fine, a bit slow maybe, but it can become too fast (and imprecise) also.

Seems good! Only complaints was brightness was way way too dark (Had to adjust the gamma to about 50%)
And what has been mentioned that the nub sensitivy seems a little low.

But good stuff and thanks! :)

Seems good! Only complaints was brightness was way way too dark (Had to adjust the gamma to about 50%)

And what has been mentioned that the nub sensitivy seems a little low.

But good stuff and thanks! :)
Hum ok... May be I can push a build 02 with better gamma and hight sensitivity for the right nub.

Last edited by a moderator:
Game is fluid, with the notable exception of the Intro, where it's stutering (it's because of the sound, to many polyphony going on and fuildsynth can be cpu hungry with more than 64 voices for midi and 64 others for sfx).
Instead of fluidsynth, you could use BASS+BASSMIDI for midi playback using soundfont (if it's possible here). It's much faster on Pandora than fluidsynth.

(BASS is free for non-commercial use. If you are a non-commercial entity (eg. an individual) and you are not making any money from your product (through sales, advertising, etc), then you can use BASS in it for free.)

Back