Did You Get This Newsletter?!

This is great news!
I would preorder if Paypal was an option, It's the only way I can pay internationally.
Hmm, probably best to wait for the second batch anyway..

gavie said:
This is great news!
I would preorder if Paypal was an option, It's the only way I can pay internationally.
Hmm, probably best to wait for the second batch anyway..
It would be worth emailing them to see what your options are.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry if this is in the topic somewhere, but im short on time... Cases will be there on the 15th, so does that mean we start getting pandoras shipped on the 15/16, if there are no more delays?

PhonicUK said:
MDave said:
If it's going to be all tested and assembled in Texas, does that mean there's going to be about a week to send the cases over from China to Texas?

If I'm in the UK and they're coming from Texas, doesn't that mean I'll have to pay import-tax on them? :(

Just to back Gruso up a bit, the actual quote from Craig is:

craigix said:
If you are in the USA they most likely will be, yes.

If you're in the UK you are not in the USA. The shipping of individual units to end users in the USA WITHOUT the units coming back home tot he UK first is a fairly new bit of news, and GREAT for our American friends. It shouldn't have any detrimental effect on the rest of the world, just a bonus for them (and potentially the OpenPandora team).

zacaj said:
Sorry if this is in the topic somewhere, but im short on time... Cases will be there on the 15th, so does that mean we start getting pandoras shipped on the 15/16, if there are no more delays?

Where is "there"? If "there" is the Chinese factory that is making them (which is my reading of it) then "No" - because they will likely be 5-10 working days away from being in Texas, assuming there are no delays. If "there" is Texas, and the cases will actually be ready, on-site, to be built into units... then the first day they start manufacturing them seems a LITTLE optimisitc for them to be sending units out, but I guess it is possible.

Good thing you posted this here, because I've never received any of the newsletters, ever. Luckily I was scanning this site a year ago or I wouldn't even now have known about the taking-orders start, which I had signed up to be notified about..

craigix said:
No, the full 4000. Moulds will be finished just before that date.
You mean the full 10000, don't you? :p

craigix said:
If you are in the USA they most likely will be, yes.
What about Canada and Mexico?

In October the factory will start to populate 4000 Pandora PCBs, this will be a slow process at first
which will become substantially faster after the initial 800.
And how slow of a process is the warm up? Are we talking 100 a day for the first 7 or 8 days? More? Less?

well well... I was one of those people that ordered from the first batch way back... I have never really posted much here.. never felt the need to contribute.. just popped in occasionally to see how things are progressing.

Seems like the day really is finally drawing close :)
Better do some investigating on what I will be able to do on it.

Oh yeah.. as this is my first post.. at least my first in about a year or so.. I would just like to say Hi to everyone. Who knows... I might even start to contribute in here now.

hmm, the expected date of October 15 is just the finished case, or the case packed sent and arrival.

Sounds like end of Oct first 105 will be shipped. End of November for the rest of us assuming they finish CE and start MP soon.
Thats just before finals... Thanks Craig :p

You're right, 10,000 cases.

At least because of minimum part orders we have enough parts after the first 4000 to make almost another 2000, we just need extra LCDs and PCBs.

So if the second batch turns out to be a "mini batch" of just 2000, we shouldn't all start panicing that the world is ending and OpenPandora will be the first company to fall down the cracks in the Earth?

Could you clarify for us when the cases should arrive in texas, and how quickly/slowly the initial board production is EXPECTED to go? (for example - will the first 800 be in a day, a week, a...?)

Super news from the Team.

To those people afraid of being first batchers/early adopters and not biting the bullet on ordering one, what I see is the project has been in development for a very long time constantly being tweaked here and there revised there and here so bugs that other companies pass off to consumers have been dramatically reduced with the final production Pandora. Any first run bugs should if they exist be from software which is remedied easily by a simple firmware 2.0 download. I think worry is unnecessary if that is what's holding them back from getting one. Personally i'm glad to be an early preorderer and that newsletter is the light at the end of the tunnel.

I dont know anything about making moulds but are there prototype moulds tested etc. Because this looks like it's going to be oct 15th if the mould turns out as it should. However if there already have been intermediate tests than this would not be the case. <-- see what I did there ;)

Monk said:
So if the second batch turns out to be a "mini batch" of just 2000, we shouldn't all start panicing that the world is ending and OpenPandora will be the first company to fall down the cracks in the Earth?

Could you clarify for us when the cases should arrive in texas, and how quickly/slowly the initial board production is EXPECTED to go? (for example - will the first 800 be in a day, a week, a...?)

No, the second batch will have to be 4000 due to minimum runs etc. 6000 might be nice to take up the extra cases. I guess a lot of the second run will go to webstores.

I don't know how long the initial 800 will take, a few days, a week, it depends on the results I suppose. Plus remember people have to get used to assembling the console too.

At least the stress should ease as people start to receive their Pandoras :)

craigix said:
Monk said:

No, the second batch will have to be 4000 due to minimum runs etc. 6000 might be nice to take up the extra cases. I guess a lot of the second run will go to webstores.

I don't know how long the initial 800 will take, a few days, a week, it depends on the results I suppose. Plus remember people have to get used to assembling the console too.

A pity - I was hoping that the worst of the "minimum run" stuff would have left you with the 2000 extras, so you would be able to top up - but a run of 6000 would be nice :)

Even the "a few days, a week" gives us some idea of the GENERAL range we're looking at.

Your stress levels will hopefully plummet. I expect the average customer stress level to rise sharply until that package arrives throuhg the door, as they start going "They're out there! Where am I on the list? Is it here yet? Is it here yet? mum - can I have a rabbit?" and so on. Should be fun! LOL

btw im in colombia, is my order being shiped from USA or UK?

Wow!

Happy anniversary of sorts. I was following this forum daily for months prior to preordering and for a few months after. Then I bought a Dingoo A320 to distract me, which it has succeded in doing. So this is my first post in a few months. Its been entertaining sitting back & reading some of whats developed here.

Thanks Craig, ED, MWeston, Faith, DaveC & everyone else for your efforts on making Openpandora a reality!

Cheers

Link

PS Wish my mail carrier & UPS driver would swap jobs the day my Pandora gets delivered. I'd much rather kiss my mailgirl:)

Monk said:
craigix said:

A pity - I was hoping that the worst of the "minimum run" stuff would have left you with the 2000 extras, so you would be able to top up - but a run of 6000 would be nice :)

The production costs would have to be paid up-front, like the first batch was, correct? Obviously, manufacturing of the second batch's PCBs and purchasing the LCDs requires money. Which would mean that the 2nd batch would have to be pre-orders as well, no?

That would be, unless a bank loan can be secured. Is the bank strategy going to be any different for the second batch? If web stores start carrying it at that point, they will put in larger orders, which could add up pretty quickly?

Back