Emails To Me

Eolair said:
Just because I'm evil :p

Wow, that looks great. My favorite so far of the renders I've seen, although it doesn't show that much when closed like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can we please get some confirmation on what it's going to be made of? Please? :)

Are the 3000 Pandras going to be finalized production versions similar to the GP2X MK2 as far as completeness goes? I would kind of be torn between getting one early and getting one that is complete.

I'm with Yrx, and maybe some info on how to get it in aluminum if desired. :) because it is. hahah

As far as I know the case is still PLASTIC unless something has changed in the past 48 hours!

I use babblefish to check out the German forum from time to time. Maybe something is getting lost in translation?

MWeston said:
As far as I know the case is still PLASTIC unless something has changed in the past 48 hours!

I use babblefish to check out the German forum from time to time. Maybe something is getting lost in translation?
According to Google Translate and fusion_power, here EvilDragon is talking about (at least) the first 100 units being made of aluminum.

Then again, you can't exactly use injection molding with that, so I don't know what's going on here.

craigix said:
*I am not in the UK/Ireland/Germany/USA/Canada/Middle east, can I buy a Pandora from the first 3000?

Yes, if you get your order in fast enough but you will have to pay for UPS shipping. It's unlikely we will ship to Africa or Asia without special arrangements.
What special arrangements are you talking about? I'm located in Singapore, will that be a problem?

If it is not confidential, have you made any agreement with play-asia.com to sell some units through them to the Asian market?

atomicthumbs said:
MWeston said:

According to Google Translate and fusion_power, here EvilDragon is talking about (at least) the first 100 units being made of aluminum.

Then again, you can't exactly use injection molding with that, so I don't know what's going on here.

Ah, I know what he is talking about now....I think....

I think he is referring to the rapid prototyping molds that are CNC'd from blocks of aluminum to squeeze off the first 100 for testing before throwing 100G's at full blown injection molds for full production. I knew something was being lost in translation. :)

Okay, I'll translate what EvilDragon said, I guess the babelfish translation is not that good:

12.2.2008, 23:44
Sooo, for whom it may interest:
The boarddesign is ready and in production (five prototypes should arrive next week) while there is coding going on since a few weeks on a devboard.
After that, the first aluminium cases and 100 MK1 will be manufactured and throughly tested.
When these are working properly the first batch of 3000 devices will be shipped.
So we're approaching the end.

My english isn't the best but I think it's understandable.

It's the moulds with are aluminium, the case is still plastic, making the case from aluminium would be very expensive.

Okay, that makes sense and doesn't really contradict with what EvilDragon said.
Is it mpossible to make aluminium cases with aluminium moulds? I really don't know but it would be interesting and I would gladly pay 100 Euro extra just for having a metal case. You could do something like a collectors edition (with pre-paid devices, naturally).
But I guess it isn't possible to make aluminium cases without a huge extra bunch of work :(

craigix said:
DaveC has a mockup system and thinks the control layout is nice.
What does he think of the sound and display? :p

Seriously - if DaveC is happy then I'm sure we'll all be happy !!

andyB911 said:
craigix said:

DaveC has a solid chunk of plastic spit out of a rapid prototype machine. It's great for establishing size, shape, and feel of the final device, but it doesn't have any functioning electronics in it. Nobody has a fully functioning Pandora because there is still a lot of work to be done. Last we heard, Squidge had connected the LCD display and gotten it to turn red. Remember, they are having to write all the drivers from scratch for this thing.

MWeston said:
I think he is referring to the rapid prototyping molds that are CNC'd from blocks of aluminum to squeeze off the first 100 for testing before throwing 100G's at full blown injection molds for full production. I knew something was being lost in translation. :)
No, not lost in translation. Even in German it sounds like "CASE MADE OUT OF ALUMINIUM" well, at least the first 100 Devices. ^^" Thats why I asked if the other Pandoras will be made out of Alu to. It doesn't sound like all Pandoras will be made out of Alu, but at least it was sounding (for me) like the first ones are made out of it. ;)
SORRY if I made trouble here. ^^"""
Balzac2m said:
Okay, I'll translate what EvilDragon said, I guess the babelfish translation is not that good:

12.2.2008, 23:44
Sooo, for whom it may interest:
The boarddesign is ready and in production (five prototypes should arrive next week) while there is coding going on since a few weeks on a devboard.
After that, the first aluminium cases and 100 MK1 will be manufactured and throughly tested.
When these are working properly the first batch of 3000 devices will be shipped.
So we're approaching the end.

My english isn't the best but I think it's understandable.
Not bad. :) ED really wrote "CASES" and not "MOLDS" so I thought he was talking about the material of the cases itself.

craigix said:
It's the moulds with are aluminium, the case is still plastic, making the case from aluminium would be very expensive.
"moulds" ? That means the Form of the ...uh Form for the Case-production, right? Hm, OK. They should be made out of Metal to form the Plastic case. ^^
When ALU is so expensive, why even cheapest Mobile phones/mobile Devices have a Metal hull? Mafia-connections of the Companys? :lol:
Well, even in Plastic, the Pandora will be the Burner. :D

Do the Pandora Case will have a hole for a wrist strap? I haven't seen something like this in the Renderings. Would be cool becsuse it also could be used to bind the stylus onto the case. :) (So it don't get lost if the Stylus isn't in his own hole. )

:lol:

I love it how in this posting Craig makes a point of saying 'even DaveC likes the joypad' and then multiple people, including me now too, felt the need to highlight this turning it into the first real marketing ploy, nay legend for the pand community :D

3000 for the first run eh? Good number! Why? Because 3000 is the model number that connects the Amiga to the Zaurus, the Pandoras spiritual forbears as much as the 2X.

DaveC - dpad deity

Squidge said:
Maybe he meant the case for the moulds is made out of alu :)
And maybe there is at least enough money to make the buttons made out of Alu? ;)

Well, its not that important. A funny gimmic of the Pandora could be easy replacement of buttons... at least easy replacement of the D-Pad. Maybe the Devs release other D-Pad Designs later as "booster Packs" or so so everyone can replace the Pad with his fav. Design. For PSP there are altenative Pads to. :)
This would help to, if people want a easy way to replace the Pad with...whatever. I know DaveC loves to replace D-Pads of his new Handhelds. :lol: A Dremel-free replacement would be very cool. B)

andyB911 said:
craigix said:

It looks to me that the d-pad and four front buttons are located in about the same place as the GP2X.

Back