Considering Getting A Ds...

Nova posted on May 29 2005 at 02:59 PM said:
Mark posted on May 29 2005 at 12:41 PM said:
bast525 posted on May 29 2005 at 01:04 PM said:
Two more things - #1 I definately don't think you're going to get enough gameplay time out of Mario 64 to hold you over until many of the really good games start coming out around this Xmas...

Unless of course you get addicted to Bom-Omb Squad ;)

what is bobomb squad? i've collected all the minigames but i'm sure i dont have it,

Wario's first one, the one that I had the assumed world record in for a while ;)

/boast

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark posted on May 29 2005 at 10:36 PM said:
Nova posted on May 29 2005 at 02:59 PM said:
Mark posted on May 29 2005 at 12:41 PM said:
bast525 posted on May 29 2005 at 01:04 PM said:
Two more things - #1 I definately don't think you're going to get enough gameplay time out of Mario 64 to hold you over until many of the really good games start coming out around this Xmas...

Unless of course you get addicted to Bom-Omb Squad ;)

what is bobomb squad? i've collected all the minigames but i'm sure i dont have it,

Wario's first one, the one that I had the assumed world record in for a while ;)

/boast

oh. thanks

is there a league table somewhere?

I used to use Cyberscore before it went down, and my score of nearly 250,000 is more than the one on Gamefaqs and the other big sites so I assume it's still the highest.

I'm in the Official Nintendo Magazine with that score too. Shit magazine.

if ur gonna get a ds and u want a cheap racing game that'll last a li'l while ridge racer ds is worth it seeing as u can get if for bout £15 on ebay. Having play asphalt gt as well though the controls for the ds' racing games are kinda crappy. ridge racer has too loose steering, asphalt has too tight steering and i dont know bout need for speed yet.

Mark posted on May 29 2005 at 11:05 PM said:
I used to use Cyberscore before it went down, and my score of nearly 250,000 is more than the one on Gamefaqs and the other big sites so I assume it's still the highest.

so you are "Mark Rowley : 245,300"

Ganepark32 posted on May 30 2005 at 10:15 AM said:
Having play asphalt gt as well though the controls for the ds' racing games are kinda crappy. ridge racer has too loose steering, asphalt has too tight steering and i dont know bout need for speed yet.

I have to agree with him there... RR is very loose and is a pain in the ass with either the D pad or the touch screen, Asphalt is a bit tight and only offers D pad control... however I had good luck by assigning the brakes to the R button... this made braking while staying on the throttle very easy, which allows you to slide/drift a bit easier. Once you master drifting in Asphalt it actually plays more like a classic Ridger Racer game than the real DS Ridge Racer!

This is quite possibly the worst possible place to ask about the DS. Have you seen all the PSP vs DS threads? Everyone on this forum is either a PSP fanboy or a DS fanboy, so you'll either get "Everything is shit" answers or "Everything kicks ass". I recommend you just go and play a DS somewhere.

mr twit posted on May 30 2005 at 02:08 PM said:
This is quite possibly the worst possible place to ask about the DS. Have you seen all the PSP vs DS threads? Everyone on this forum is either a PSP fanboy or a DS fanboy, so you'll either get "Everything is shit" answers or "Everything kicks ass". I recommend you just go and play a DS somewhere.

Er, read through the above posts, and you will find yourself looking foolish!!!! A lot of us have both, and will recommend a ds with an unbiased view!

While there are some silly fanboiz here, this has been an intelligent thread about whether a ds is worth it or not. No sony fanboizm here at all.

In fact, yours has been the only Stupid post on this thread so far. And your post so was sooo daft. Looking for trouble etc.

:p

Nope, the ds could be great. If the proposed games are as good as promised. And the real truth is that there will be lots of games on both the PSP and the DS that you will only be able to play on this system or that one. Making it a good time to have three handhelds.

I've hardly played my DS, but still believe that I will one day....

I myself prefer asphalt gt. ridge racer was just too easy and i unlocked every car (except 6 secret ones that u unlock through multi card play). but having just got need for spped on ds i have to say that it too has gone the same way as ridge racer ds. the steering is quite loose and i found myself skidding all over the place trying to keep the car straight. For that reason i believe asphalt is better than ridge racer and need for speed.

Holy shit how long did that take? I found that "Wanted" game so easy, once I was in the hundreds and I gave up because I constantly had full time and it was very boring.

Nova posted on May 30 2005 at 01:45 PM said:

so you are "Mark Rowley : 245,300"

Indeed.

kknd_cf posted on May 30 2005 at 06:25 PM said:

Holy shit how long did that take? I found that "Wanted" game so easy, once I was in the hundreds and I gave up because I constantly had full time and it was very boring.

Yeah, Wanted! is very easy, as are some of the other games. 9999 was reached in many of them within a few weeks, it's just a question of endurance.

I'd say I literally put in a hundred or so hours play into that game alone. I've had it since the 25th November, but I've hardly played it since my name was in the magazine.

Well I got a DS rather than a PSP mainly due to worries about Sony's manufacturing quality with the first batch(es). I'll wait for the European launch because I was caught out when I got a Dreamcast on import and the controller triggers repeatedly broke, but when I got a Euro controller they had obviously fixed the problem.

Anyway back to the point. I wouldn't worry about scratches on the screen from the stylus, mine is still if perfect condition even though it gets played a lot -- although I did buy a Panache stylus, maybe that may make a difference?

The list of games at the moment is rather poor I have to admit, although I did enjoy Mario64DS and WarioTouch while they lasted. I also have Tiger Woods, which I think is underrated, although I haven't finished that yet. I also got Electroplakton on import along with some mad surgery game that I can't understand. Electroplankon is good only for a little while, then it becomes really rather dull.

I personally think that the DS has some potential, it is the ONLY games console that either of my parents have actually managed to play with for any longer than a minute. (Luigi's poker minigame for my dad and Electroplakton for my mum.)

yes. Wanted! is really easy once u get the hang of it. i got 210 and got really bored. Still haven't played Mario64DS since....well god knows. i've been playing zoo keeper, polarium, asphalt and rayman. The one thing i will say bout rayman is the controls are crap. i like the game having got it on my dreamcast but the controls are utterly crap. same can be said bout mario64DS. i prefer it with an analogue stick.
Off topic:- anyone know when, or if, ganbare goemon ds will be released outside japan and when might we be able to see it as that is one good looking game.

lubidog posted on May 30 2005 at 03:31 PM said:

Er, read through the above posts, and you will find yourself looking foolish!!!! A lot of us have both, and will recommend a ds with an unbiased view!

While there are some silly fanboiz here, this has been an intelligent thread about whether a ds is worth it or not. No sony fanboizm here at all.

In fact, yours has been the only Stupid post on this thread so far. And your post so was sooo daft. Looking for trouble etc.

Yeah really... what the hell was that all about? It's remained a civil thread and an informative one thus far, why are you trying to make trouble?

carlgeorge posted on May 30 2005 at 06:21 PM said:
I personally think that the DS has some potential, it is the ONLY games console that either of my parents have actually managed to play with for any longer than a minute. (Luigi's poker minigame for my dad and Electroplakton for my mum.)

Luigi's poker is frikkin great!

twist posted on May 31 2005 at 10:52 AM said:
carlgeorge posted on May 30 2005 at 06:21 PM said:

Luigi's poker is frikkin great!
I really like that one too. But the rest of his games are awful.

So, Mario 64 DS lacks replay value? I would have thought that it'd have a lot since the N64 did, at least for me. But this brings up a question: Does the DS Mario 64 have 4 save slots like the N64 version? If it does, then it'd be great for replay value since I love getting all 120 (Or, in this case, 150) stars on all four files, and this does take a little while. And, when I'm done, I like to erase them all and start over.

lubidog posted on May 30 2005 at 03:31 PM said:

:p

Nope, the ds could be great. If the proposed games are as good as promised. And the real truth is that there will be lots of games on both the PSP and the DS that you will only be able to play on this system or that one. Making it a good time to have three handhelds.

I've hardly played my DS, but still believe that I will one day....

The point I was trying to make was that judging by the numerous PSP vs DS threads on this forum, there are many people who are clearly biased towards one or the other, and so any way they answer these questions is going to just be fanboyism to a greater or lesser extent, thinly veiled as opinions. This can be easily seen by the responses, take Nova's post, which basically said everything is crap, and gave a negative response to everything, even those questions not based on opinions (screen scratches, pictochat distance etc). Then we have Apeiron and Mark's posts basically denying everything Nova has said.
You can call a fanboyish rant an opinion, but it is still a fanboyish rant.
Like it or not, most of the people who post regularly in the other consoles section of this forum are fanboys. I am admittedly a Nintendo fanboy myself, which is why I didnt post my answers to his questions because I knew they would all be positive. That is why I suggested he merely found someone with a DS and played it for himself so he could make up his own mind and not be influenced by others' biased views.

So, Mario 64 DS lacks replay value? I would have thought that it'd have a lot since the N64 did, at least for me. But this brings up a question: Does the DS Mario 64 have 4 save slots like the N64 version? If it does, then it'd be great for replay value since I love getting all 120 (Or, in this case, 150) stars on all four files, and this does take a little while. And, when I'm done, I like to erase them all and start over.
It has 3 save game slots and the mini games are what bring you back to it. If you want a FPs then on the 13th GoldenEye Is released in america. It looks promising but I'd say wait for reviews on upcoming games till you decide to get a ds.

I was considering buying the DS myself, but came to the conclusion that it wasn't worth it. It's already a dying system with lacking consumer support. The new game boy release is right around the corner...so why waste your money on this "lame duck"?

Back