Commercial Games

Status
Not open for further replies.
'craigix' said:
I do like this world of goo idea.

It looks to be the kind of game which would show off our high res screen and graphics power really well.
Not to mention the fact that it would be really cool with a stylus. I have to say that I'm somewhat tempted to buy it myself, kind of reminds me a bit of Lemmings.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just my tuppence worth... I see it as a matter of timing and intended market.

The NGage and Gizmondo were closed. Without paying people to create games, they simply couldn't sell a single unit.... as without commercial games both were an expensive (arguably ugly) doorstop. So they had no choice but to do it early on before they launched / knew the likely market.

The pandora doesn't suffer that problem. Its perfectly feasible to sell at least as many units as the gp2x / gp32 without commercial games based on homebrew / emulators.

So for me, its not a priority for now. Now the priority is getting the units out, getting decent press coverage and ensuring batch 2 and 3 are sold out.

If the above happens, then I'm fairly sure some small, indie software houses will test the water. There will be no need to bribe them, other than perhaps provide them with a free unit.

However, (all being well) the issue is that at some point the machine will become known as geeky and as an emulation machine. If that starts to stifle growth (or attract legal attention) then it may well need some large commonly known games to cross over to the mainstream.

But for my money, its too early to think about that. Better to spend the money now on marketing / press to target the 'niche' market which if you think includes developers the world over so isn't actually that small.

Boring answer I know....

I do wonder how many of the potential Pandora buyers already own World of Goo for another platform.

I bet that there is a significant overlap, and they would probably not buy it a second time.

I love the idea of gaining a little exposure/publicity via official port of some acclaimed game which so far was not available for mini-consoles. Think Civilization 4 , Quake 3 , UT2003 etc. I will also pay decent money to get these games! :D

With SCI being bought out and Carmageddon 4 being canceled, perhaps some of their games are up for sale.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sales_Curve_Interactive

Carmageddon 2 would be awesome on the pandora.

As far as spending money commercial games goes, I'd say you'd be a fool if you didn't give it a go. This is the most powerful handheld gaming system in the world, that alone should attract some commercial titles. If the pandora doesn't go for it someone else will before to long and with alot more money. If the pandora was able to get into commercial games now and it is well received, it would beat the next gen psp and ds to the punch. In my opinion, the room for growth is exponential and the timing is perfect.

Wow, how cool is it to discuss this with the developer.

Goo, would be awesome, I bought through steam, but might buy again.

Favorites like The Longest Journey, Beyond Good and Evil, Psychonauts would be awesome.

Games not easy to find like, Grim Fandango, Mcgee's Alice, the final King's Quest, would be amazing.

I think the community games portal on Xbox Live would be a great place to mine as well. Lots of small devs there may be persuaded to portable options.

Xbox Live in general would be good, episodics like Penny Arcade would be lots of fun.

I know Msoft is huge and probably won't be interested but the devs themselves might be.

Shouldn't you diversify in a bad economy?

'Oscaruzzo' said:
I think most of the people here have lost the core question of the original post, which was more or less in this form
"we have some spare money; should we spend it to make some software house port their games on pandora, or should we spend it in some other ways"?
You're right! And my answer is Yes.

Actually if "some game" then some game that make an interest for people outside community. It may be some representative for few genres such as some nice FPS, some good Platform, some puzzle or logic, some adventure or so.

Tribes (or even Legends The Game) would be a great game to be ported to the Pandora, albeit difficult to play.

But Burnout/Need for Speed/Car racing genre would be able to get the Pandora on the upscale side of competition and would get tons of people to buy it, especially with networking play. They are extremely quick to start playing and play through the game. People can pick it up and play it without it getting too boring. Its a genre that's entertaining and absorbs both male and females (albeit males mostly) to higher number than many other genres, including RPGs and FPS. RPGs are storytelling, FPS are skills and fast paced action, and a car racing game is both, although not to the full extent of either of the other two.

Noisome

Did anybody mention Spore it is very unique has lots of mass appeal and is published by E.A. Also I am just curious has any one here played Majesty form now bankrupt cyberlore studious.

What about Duke Nukem Forever? It looks great!

I vote for World of Goo and Medal of Honor: Allied Assault

Some more Indie games I'd buy without hesitation:

World of Goo
Braid
Toribash
Fez

My contribution of "long shot that'll never work": what about a true sequel to Star Control 2? Toys For Bob have been itching to do a proper Star Control 3 for a long time now. They're just waiting on Atari to give them the OK to make one. In addition to a Windows version, maybe convince them to simultaneously make a Linux and (more specifically) Pandora one.
A pipe dream, of course. Even if such a sequel were in the works, it'd be years down the road, and a few thousand consoles wouldn't be enough to sway their thoughts anyway.

I'd pay the original release price for Carmageddon (might as well add in the Splat Pack and C2 stuff too, same engine)

Well love to see a game like:

The Incredible Machine / Crazy Machines
Soldat (saw it before in this topic)
Triplane

:)

Why has nobody mentioned Audiosurf yet? It'd be absolutely perfect for on the go gaming.

Also +1 on World of Goo. It's all the rage now and the style kind of harkens back to other popular handheld games like Loco Roco and Patapon.

Several people have mentioned that there will be FPS to spare on day one, and in general I think we have a lot of programming talent. The money should probably be spent on games that would get us other resources that are not so easily duplicated or cloned: 3D artwork, expansive storylines, 3rd-party licenses that reach an audience beyond hardcore video gamers. Some examples:

Someone mentioned that Soul Caliber series, which would be a great example of 3D artwork to show off the Pandora's capabilities, and a well-known name which has not done particularly well lately, so it may be available at an affordable price.

One of the D&D licenses would do a great job of reaching out. Someone mentioned the Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance lines, for instance. Also, Neverwinter Nights, which has also been mentioned, would not only get you the D&D license and the storyline, but the large library of add-ons do not need to be ported to ARM (as is the case with Half-life mods, for instance), and as an added bonus, Bioware is still making money off some premium add-on modules, so there is an extra incentive for them as well. Neverwinter is also already available for Linux, which would minimize the porting effort, and it was previously aimed at the Zodiac before that collapse, so some work on a portable version of the UI may already be done. NWN seems like a better fit the more I think about it.

Another port which could offer extra incentive for the owner is the Diablo line. The name is obviously well-known, and they are coming out with Diablo 3 soon, so getting the Diablo brand back in front of gamers would likely be a boost for them. Previous versions have already been ported to various platforms, as well.

Thanks for taking our opinions into account. :D

beljam

'cosurgi' said:
Hmm... maybe you could contact Introversion for their DARWINIA game too, they are already selling a linux version. To make a Pandora version, shouldn't be too difficult for them. And game is really addictive too!

www.introversion.co.uk/darwinia
+1 :)
I only played the Demo but the Game is very interesting in booth ways, graphics AND gameplay. It was made by a small company so I think the chances are not that bad to have a Pandora-version. And there is already a Linux Version, not ARM but they are non the right way. :D

Here's my wishlist of games in order of (my opinion here) probability

Soniic Adventure
Prince of Persia
Star-Wars Roque Squadron (or something similar)
Age of Empires (any of them please)
Spore
Halo (1 or 2 or both or original or something :blink: )

But for the real question... should we invest in this or something else...

I think we need to get the "out-of-the-box SDK" working first and go in the direction of the Android or iPhone/iTouch.

If we want to grab an audience we definatley need something that pushes the hardware and if we go for a RTS we really need to implement the wi-fi and a catch phrase like "Play Anywhere" Soul Caliber seems like it would fit both of those (I know it's not a RTS and I've never played it but I've seen that it is pretty to watch)

That's my expert opinion coming from somebody that doesn't really know what they're talking about :D

Oh yeah... tomb raider please...

Woo! I hoped for this way back in 5th Oct 08 (and got soundly slapped for it, over there <_< who's laughing now TaG & Kyosis? :D )

My guess is that the licencing rights for most SCI games are twisted through four or five other companies. I know this is true for Carma (cuz I asked :p)

So I'm not holding my breath for Carma or Tomb Raider. But they'd be nice :)

wikipedia said:
Smith is working on producing new games, and according to recent interviews, has been involved in mobile versions of his original games.
Maybe we could kidnap Matthew Smith, stick him in a cupboard and poke him with sticks until he's done us a game. Just imagine that, an official pandora remake of manic miner :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back