Distributing Commercial Games

aaronson911

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
After Reading some of the posts about Commercial games I am curious to know how commercial games would be distributed. Is there be some central download serves being planned? What about DRM?

The game publishers will probably want to provide their own servers for download.
As for DRM, SD cards have a built-in encrypted section that they might use.

'lulzfish' said:
The game publishers will probably want to provide their own servers for download.
As for DRM, SD cards have a built-in encrypted section that they might use.
actually, the encrypted section of SD cards is almost never used in real life, and besides that would require the sale of a physical package instead of a download.

There probably won't be a single DRM system, but the publishers will be free to choose whether they want to implement it, and which system to use.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aren't there 6 threads on this?

I'm pretty sure that the Pandora's OMAP has a built in hardware level DRM system.

I suppose http://clickgamer.com/ should be open to selling Pandora games as they did sell GP2X games as well. If the developers can handle the paperwork, of course they should consider selling games themselves. I suppose the hardware sellers will also sell games but I hope they invest some time to make a solid store system. With the GP2X, it was somewhat amateurish. Of course the reason might be that there simply weren't many commercial games.

Release the binaries for free. You aren't going to be able to stop people distributing them. Have a trial system, until a proper license key is entered. If you want to be super-safe, make the program check online that its key is valid before it accepts it. But, that won't really work with a hand held ;).

If commercial games were sold on sd cards, they would probably be pour quality, low speed sd's
I'd much prefer downloadable versions so they're ready to go on sdhc etc.

Since the pandora is more powerfull than the PSP, i guess we might be seeing some Sickage kickass stuffege!

You can get 1 gig class 4 sd cards on tigerdirect for like 5 bucks. I'm sure if you bought direct from sd card producers in bulk for smaller cards, getting a fast enough card for a given game would not add much to the cost of the game.

I think it would be pretty sweet to have a library of sd card games with game art on them.

Back